edd_jedi

mObridge hardware?

Has anybody ever heard of these products or had any experience with them?

https://www.mobridge.co.uk/mobridge-ipod-and-bluetooth-for-your-bmw/

I have been looking for something to enable me to use my iPhone/USB sticks with the OEM CCC, obviously the Dension is well known but I hadn't heard of this before.

Thanks, it does seem odd that these and the Dension are still both so expensive. I don't understand why the car industry went to the trouble of creating MOST, which I believe was supposed to be some kind of standard, yet there is practically no affordable hardware for it. If you can buy a £3 USB Bluetooth/wi-fi dongle, I don't see any reason why somebody couldn't make an equally cheap MOST interface.

I purchased one of these for the same reasons you did. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth-A2DP-Handsfree-Adapter-for-BMW-E60-E61-E63-E64-E70-E71-i-Drive-CCC/112197749363

It replaces your cd changer using the fibre optic connection. This gave me the SOS warning light on the dash which had to be coded out, it also disabled the Bluetooth phone options in iDrive. So Bluetooth wouldn't work with my phone, and each folder was a "cd" so despite it saying you can have 320GB of music, you can only have six folders with 99 songs per folder because that was all the iDrive cd player could display.  It would also display numbers only and not track names, so browsing tracks was pointless and being limited to 600 songs soon gets boring. It was a piece of piss to install and if I knew what to code to get Bluetooth working it could have been brilliant. The 6 CDs at 99 nameless tracks thing was one the of the big reasons I changed to Android. It might be worth emailing the guy and see if those restrictions have changed, for the money it could do exactly what you want. 

One other thing you might not be aware of with regards to Android is the iDrive is still all there, you play the radio and cd changer in iDrive and can use the original satnav as before. It's a three-second button push away from the Android mode. Skipping through music folders is much easier on a touch screen and being able to stream online radio/ Spotify etc and control it via the touch screen is great too. 

Edited by Deviant

Thanks, yes I had seen that unit and it's a decent price. I don't mind losing the CD changer, but don't want to lose the OEM phone functionality and also as you say being limited to 6 playlists with no track names etc is barely any better than just using the AUX lead. What I really want is something similar to the OEM USB functionality, but because my car is early 2005 it's quite difficult to retrofit.

2 hours ago, edd_jedi said:

Thanks, yes I had seen that unit and it's a decent price. I don't mind losing the CD changer, but don't want to lose the OEM phone functionality and also as you say being limited to 6 playlists with no track names etc is barely any better than just using the AUX lead. What I really want is something similar to the OEM USB functionality, but because my car is early 2005 it's quite difficult to retrofit.

It's a shame because it worked really well and was so simple to install. I wonder if there's some coding available for units like it. In your original link they showed a USB drive in iDrive. How did they do that? (assuming it wasn't factory fitted) 

Edited by Deviant