Erhan

Output shaft seals fone

So i visited Cooper York yesterday as my brake discs were warped since they fitted they did a complimentary health check which is nice of them.  Well brakes despite being warped it is not a cause of concern and on the video i received the rear diff is misted with oil which is leaking from the output shaft seals the right hand side is more so than the left. They also said its not anything to be concerned about but seems to be a significant amount to me has anybody else had this issue? 

The car is currently at 48k.

I wouldn't worry about it. If there was any chance it needed doing they would be quoting you to get it up on the ramps and emptying your wallet. Just keep an eye on it if its leaking the MOT will pick it up and you will have oil on the floor.

Chances are the diff is just damp and its not even from inside.

1 hour ago, dandle said:

I wouldn't worry about it. If there was any chance it needed doing they would be quoting you to get it up on the ramps and emptying your wallet. Just keep an eye on it if its leaking the MOT will pick it up and you will have oil on the floor.

Chances are the diff is just damp and its not even from inside.

Thank you Dandle my worry is that i do a lot of miles and its not parked somewhere that i can see if it dripped unless i put a pan or something underneath it. To me it shouldn't fail at this mileage but it looks like I am not the only one, one F30 had it at 15k but warranty took care of it! It is in another dealer for a service next week and will see what they will say.

It's quite common for BMW diffs to show signs of misting on the casing. 

Remember, oil by its very nature will spread out over a big area and look worse than it is. 

Only the most over zealous MOT examiner might only pick it up as an advisory. 

I believe the MOT is looking for oil leaks as in evidence of a noticeable amount leaving a joint or seal. A component covered in a misting should be ok.

The tech in the video would have said it was serious if it was (as in an MOT failure or having no oil in it), as they would have told you and quoted for the repairs as mentioned above. 

I already did but didnt a through job as need to lift the car first and buy some more as didnt have a lot anyway. If dealer doesnt say anything on Saturday as its being serviced i will clean it up and see what it is like following week. I will still get it done might be a good time to change the fluid too.

Edited by Erhan

Well I have washed the diff down with break cleaner and done about 400 miles and 8 days later here is the latest
69cebf1a0a8007261465a2dbba9807a6.jpg

It’s definitely leaking in my opinion but 2nd dealer said no it’s misting. Will monitor and might get it changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk