TagMax

Retrofit paddles on 2015 F10, simple?

I've just bought my very first BMW (2015 F10) and I'm super excited and already on my steep learning curve

I've noticed that despite my F10 being an M Sport with LCI wheel (S710A M Leather Wheel), it annoyingly doesn't have paddles which I've loved in F10s I've hired/driven before:

4900fbbb70b04e57aa5dbae8310af2cb.jpg.51d5ec86e17d92ea66f836395e936e17.jpg092cd0305e1341fd9bdb341ae4ec1232.jpg.3ba2b958b605a82da1671b653fc35745.jpg

I've been doing as much digging on forums as possible. I gather it looks like I've got a 205 shifter instead of a 2TB (just comparing physical shifter pictures) so am I right in thinking my steps would be:

1. Buy retrofit paddle set like this one (since I have an LCI wheel, I'm assuming I just need the new backplate, hoping the paddle mounts are already on the wheel and cable harness already has the extra cable run? Hoping too much?)
  2. Code trans to 2TB using e-Sys (or with all the confusion I'm finding with the e-Sys free launcher license dying on 28/12/18, probably keep it simple and use bimmercode?) assuming it's currently on 205. Don't have the car quite yet to read the codes, just want to get a jump start and order the kit if it's going to do the job

Is it really that simple? It can't be...

Edited by TagMax

205 is the option code (when ticking the toys at the dealers option list) for automatic transmission 

2TB is the option code for sports automatic transmission which gives you the sports shift lever and the paddles. 

It should be possible.  there are plenty of E60s out there with retro fitted paddles. But that would be far better with only 6 gears. The unnecessary 8 speeds in the F10 boxes means lots of paddle shifting to get any engine braking. They fixed this in the LCi as you only need to hold down the - shifter to get it to continually downside itself. Rather than four individual flicks of the downshift paddle to get it to fourth (where you only begin to get any form of engine braking) it will go all the way to fourth itself.  Your LCi if the wiring is there should allow you this if you code it correctly.

I don't think the physical gear ratios are different it's just a different shift pattern/programme mapped in the 'boxes electronic brains.

A quick look on realoem, there is the option to have automatic transmission (205) with paddles with it not being a 2TB sports autobox. Auto with paddles has a different shift lever part number than just an auto without paddles. Worth checking if you need a new shift lever too.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=5D12-EUR-10-2015-F10N-BMW-530d&diagId=25_0546

Good luck with the mod, I really like my paddles and use them more often than not especially on the twisty B roads where mine does most of its miles. 

Edited by 535i Andrew

You don't need to swap the shifter out as the standard shifter will be fine. You need to install the Paddles, cable and cover as per the link you shared, add 2TB to FA, and VO Code ICM and EGS modules. 

Remember to disconnect the battery while you make the swap. You don't want the airbag going off in your face nor any error codes thrown.

Edited by Matthew Ashton

Wow thanks for all the replies folks, this is all super helpful! This is giving me a good confidence boost on this one

Like @535i Andrew mentioned, on the tight twisty B roads (plenty of them here I love driving on) I always find myself using the paddles on F10s I've driven before, I find the trans isn't really consistently able to figure out what it is I'm trying to do (it can't know what's coming up on the road of course). For motorway and about town driving - sport auto all the way (and then comfort auto when up to speed on the motorway). I'll remember the hold-downshift trick, I vaguely remember discovering that by accident/curiosity a while back driving one around B roads in Scotland

@Matthew Ashton - pretty much exactly what I was hoping! I need to do some more digging to figure out the e-Sys launcher license situation now it's 2019 for the coding. I'm piecing it together slowly. And I love how every video and message I've found reinforces the battery/airbag point. I'm probably going to be wincing and half closing my eyes taking it off even with the battery disconnected, paranoid and waiting for an explosion in my face! :lol:

@IINexusII That sounds insanely simple too, I'll start simple with that and work my way through the coding until it works :D

On 19/01/2019 at 17:09, nashdm2 said:

I have had them since new on my car and I can honestly say that i have never used them.

Had them in the last 3 and only used a handful of times. 

8 minutes ago, Erhan said:

I use mine now and again but surprised to see that my SE got them but an MSport doesnt! I thought they were standard equipment. 

It depends whether the sports auto box option (2TB) was specified at initial build not whether it was SE or MSport. Later in the F10/11 life the paddles became standard I think. 

Edited by Matthew Ashton

58 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

It depends whether the sports auto box option (2TB) was specified at initial build not whether it was SE or MSport. Later in the F10/11 life the paddles became standard I think. 

Standard with Sports Auto on pre-LCI and standalone option with “normal” box (at least) on 520 and the like after LCI.

I specified it on both my F10’s as above.

Standard whatever on G30.

Edited by Carrman2018

From my 2012 brochure/price list the Sports Auto Option 2TB was a £1640 option (over the standard manual box price) on cars up to and inc the 535i and only £110 option of the big beasts of the range the 535d and 550i.  Same as the elusive 535i Hybrid too.

I would have thought that if you were jammy enough to be speccing a 535d or 550i from new, the dealer would have chucked in the £110 for that option.....

Dads new G01 has the paddles on the bogo standard auto, not that he has used them, nor did he use them on his F10.  But he is old.;)

Could someone confirm relative to my car that I have understood correctly  re retro fitting a paddle shift. 

My car is a 2015 535d auto with I think just the ordinairy 205 option autobox (it  does not have sport +).  If I purchase something like the option described on ebay by Tag Max then will it be compatible with my standard auto box.

For clarity could someone also tell me what is the difference between the standard (205 option) auto box and the sport autobox (2TB option).

Thanks in advance

Graham

You need the whole steering wheel as there is no holes for the screws in the existing wheel to bolt onto, unless you want to go drilling into it

Edited by IINexusII

thanks Nexus for  the feedback.

the ebay seller is offering the back of the steering wheel with cut outs as well as the paddles and cabling for a complete retro fit as shown below. I suppose coding got more difficult assuming the kit below is compatible (the steering wheel in the picture is the same as mine)

image.png.4fd91b6d0e8f91d8cc6d38f1899f50ce.pngimage.png.63799586aa5563250a03ef7be795ed26.png

On 04/02/2019 at 20:23, Graham996 said:

For clarity could someone also tell me what is the difference between the standard (205 option) auto box and the sport autobox (2TB option).

205 is standard auto.  2TB is sports auto, over and above 205 it gives you a different "sporty" smaller gear shift lever, the steering wheel paddles and a slightly different programme/map that the gearbox follows.  It will change gear at different points compared to the 205 box.  But I believe the oily mechanical bits etc are all the same.