Sign in to follow this  
fuzzyedges

Coding preheating control unit after replacing glow plugs

I've just changed the glowplugs on my 2010 520D N47 engine. Due to top end knock and rough running when cold. The problem is slightly better but still not entirely gone. One thing I'm yet to do is code the control unit to tell it that it has new plugs. I have both Carly and Bimmercode but neither seem to offer this service function. Can you recommend a system that will code this unit? So I can finish the job and rectify this annoying fault.

Self clearing fault, they are checked each time the car is about to start, replace a faulty plug and it will pass the test and start working, the fault will then change from being logged as present to not present to show it is now an historical fault.

If it still says all the plugs are faulty it is the glow plug relay that is faulty.

Thanks GoNz0 but I'd have to disagree as the fault hasn't cleared after several weeks and even my local garage has been unable to clear it using thier Snap On diagnostic tool, the fault code is -

Fault Code: 2AB900
Fault Explanation: Glow plug, Diagnoserueckmeldung: mixing
obstruction different Gluehstifttypen detected

BMW TIS reference using the service mode to reset the control unit once you replace the glow plugs. Engine is N47 184bhp.
Edited by fuzzyedges
Predictive text

Apologies, I didn't realise I was in the F10 section (E61 here)

ISTA/D will sort it as it is current dealer diagnostics and can be downloaded from Bimmergeeks by clicking on Rheingold https://www.bimmergeeks.net/downloads

It will work on a laptop with a USB diagnostics cable.

If you're near Ilkeston I could do it.

Does that download have the FAQ & tools folder as it is reasonably straight forward, if not I could do it over teamviewer if you get stuck.