stu08

Painting Interior Trim

Good evening all, 

After waiting a few months for a decent set of piano black interior trim to appear for sale, I've given up. 

Instead I've just bought an aluminium style set from a Sport on eBay. 

Can anyone recommend a really good paint shop in the Midlands who will be able to paint the trim piano black?

I will give them a sample interior trim in piano black to try and replicate. 

Thanks, 

Stu 

23 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Wet dip or vinyl wrap pal. Both better and easier to do I’d say

Thanks Dan. When you say wet dip, is that the same as hydro dipping?

1 minute ago, stu08 said:

Thanks Dan. When you say wet dip, is that the same as hydro dipping?

Aye that’s the one :lol: full of a rotten cold, brains not working normally :roll: 

I'd be tempted to paint them myself, scuff up the aluminium with a scotch pad, etch prime, flat back, a few coats of gloss black, flat back again and then build up several coats of laquer before polishing to a high gloss finish. It would give a much better result than dipping or wrapping imo, and if it goes tits up then you can still dip or wrap. :)

Really? All that effort over having it wrapped? I’ve seen professionally wrapped interior parts and IMO, there’s no way a rattle can job would come close... 

13 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Really? All that effort over having it wrapped? I’ve seen professionally wrapped interior parts and IMO, there’s no way a rattle can job would come close... 

Depends how good you are with a rattle can..... ;). But yeah, professionally wrapped parts can be(and are) very good, no doubt about that, but, they don't have the same depth and durabilty as a proper paint finish imo. Plus, I could probably paint a trim set in less time than it takes to get the trim turned around by a wrapper, and I wouldn't have to sort getting the trim to and from the wrapper either.

Thanks for all the replies. 

I'm leaning towards wrapping / hydro dipping. I've also looked at vinyl and hydrographic prints and am now thinking what colour I should go for.

Car is a Biarritz Blue SE with a black leather interior. I've fitted black sport seats and also a new black headlining with all new ABC pillar trims in black. Basically the interior is black. 

I was thinking piano black interior trim too, but am now thinking with the option of hydro dipping or wrapping, would a wood trim effect be better (replicating Poplar for example)?

Car will lowered on H&R coilovers, similar style wheels to Style 5's (18"), with an Alpina rear exhaust trim and twin tail pipe exhaust. 

I'm thinking finishes such as carbon fibre won't suit the exterior of the car.

This was my first ever attempt at wrapping. The plasti-dip trims around the buttons were looking a little tatty when I bought the car last year. Removed the trim pieces and removed the buttons. I think this was a technically difficult piece to do for a first attempt due to the small button cutouts, but the vinyl is extremely malleable and forgiving once heated. 

The results look like it came like that out of the factory. It's a high wear area and has not shown any signs it (wear) at all. I didn't even bother to remove the tatty plasti-dip beforehand.

Now my car looks like no other out there :)

20180904_135918.thumb.jpg.2af799ee679bfe0b836c5d1849df9c2c.jpg

20180904_135842.thumb.jpg.ee99c142b76959d184adc7d151334053.jpg

11 hours ago, stu08 said:

Car will lowered on H&R coilovers, similar style wheels to Style 5's (18"), with an Alpina rear exhaust trim and twin tail pipe exhaust. 

I'm thinking finishes such as carbon fibre won't suit the exterior of the car.

IMO it’s how it suits the interior as that’s really where you see it

Exterior matches with the alloys etc

CF weave pattern would look well, as would a light wood trim... Black, on black, on black would be too much for me personally 

There's a guy on the BMW E39 Club UK Facebook group who does (sells) interior trim sets that he's hydrodipped.. they always seem to come out looking excellent! But wrapping has to be the next best thing surely. Painting would be a massive pain in the ass.

Edited by chicaneuk

Thanks once again for all the replies and info. I've decided the hydrodip route for the trims.

I've requested joining the FB group, thanks chicaneuk for the heads up. Hopefully he'll sort me out. I'll check if he will do the trims I've bought. 

On 1/13/2019 at 9:56 PM, stu08 said:

Should also say thanks to Clavurion and keliuss for adding their photos. It's great to see what others have done.

Stu, did you get these done? I'm in the same boat as you were right now, was planning on wrapping but curious how the hydro route went (if it went at all?)

10 minutes ago, Pzero said:

Stu, did you get these done? I'm in the same boat as you were right now, was planning on wrapping but curious how the hydro route went (if it went at all?)

The trim is due to go off next week. I should have them back in a couple of weeks and will get some photos up.

On 1/13/2019 at 4:08 PM, Clavurion said:

Something from 3M 1080 series? I like the brushed ones.

Kuvahaun tulos haulle 3m 1080 brushed titanium

Is that yours or just an example pic? It's gorgeous. If yours, any more pics? I'm torn between the brushed steel and the brushed black.

Edited by Pzero

58 minutes ago, Clavurion said:

Just an example from the net.

Never mind, ordered a sample of the black and the steel, will try a piece of trim in each and see which I prefer. Cheers for the inspiration!

Samples arrived. I tried a single trim piece from next to steering wheel in the metallic black first, liked it so much that I didn't bother doing a piece in the brushed steel which Clavurion posted above, as in the flesh it's quite a bit lighter than it looks in that pic, only looks dark from a few specific angles. 

Sample piece shown, excuse the ropey corner, it was my first ever attempt! Now ordered enough to do all trims and gear lever surround. Will report back when all done with before and after pics.

20190203_152824.thumb.jpg.57a7106adfb79b3345e0700046fab8bb.jpg