RandomName

Coolant level help

Hi All

Hopefully one of you can help me out. The coolant level indicator in my n52 530i has been broken off. Could someone with a similar car measure how far the coolant level is below the filler top at the correct level and let me know what it is?

If you are doing this be careful not to snap your float indicator as I don’t want to be responsible for someone damaging theirs.

You need the float indicator to tell you, looking into the expansion tank doesn't tell you anything. The instrument cluster will soon tell you if the car wants coolant. 

Which engine?

Update your profile so it shows your specific car here:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Any pics of your coolant tank?

Don't forget, this needs to be checked when stone cold to get the right levels!

48 minutes ago, RandomName said:

Was thinking more along the lines of using something as a dipstick to measure how far from the top the coolant is.

The float bit is hidden where the float stick attaches to the expansion tank, you can't see anything below it where the coolant is. On mine, you look into the expansion tank and can't see any coolant even though the stick is at the top.  Here you go.

Edited by Deviant

@d_a_n1979 it’s the 3l n52 petrol engine.

I’ve added the car details to my profile, thanks for the tip.

Happy enough about checking when cold. I’ve only had the car from just before Christmas and the coolant was filled to just above the baffles in the tank which I think is a bit too much.

Will try to get a picture of the tank tomorrow.

1 minute ago, RandomName said:

@Deviant thanks that video is a great help. The foam bit of my level indicator is still there and based on that video there’s far too much coolant in the system.

I'd be inclined to leave it, as long as you have a decent gap between the coolant and the cap I'd probably leave it.  The expansion cap will do its job if really needed.  Perhaps run the bleed procedure a couple of times for peace of mind. 

@Deviant I’ve recently drained the coolant to do the oil cooler seals and re filled back to where it was. I’ve run the bleed cycle 3 times now but the battery warning came up with the last one.

Was still getting small amounts of air out but nothing major.

Wouldn’t call it a decent gap at the min, there was a bit left in the mixing jug so thought I’d put it in in case there was more air in the system.

I think I’ll play it safe and remove some.