fivefan

water getting in

Can any one offer any help? 

I have a problem with water which seems to be holding either in the bottom of the door or between the door and sill 

After heavy rain or washing when i open the rear drivers side door water gushes out mainly onto the floor but its finding its way in to the floor of the car 

I cant work out A, how its getting in and B, which seal could have failed 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I was just going to change all seals but they look in good condition and are quite expensive plus it seems to be holding the water until i release the door rather than leaking 

I actually had this problem when I got my 2003 525i. I am not that handy, but I fixed this problem myself.

It is coming from the rear driver side door. The vapor barrier inside the door needs to be resealed. You will need to remove the door panel to get to the vapor barrier. Use a waterproof adhesive to reseal it . It was surprisingly pretty simple.

+1 for it being vapour seal. Bought my current E39 a few months ago, noticed rear offside carpet damp and had the door card off right away. Seal had gone along the bottom. Also a 2003 525, same as Chamalyes above.

Quick job to seal again, took days for the mouldy bottom of the door cards to dry out in the house before I put it back on again, god knows how long it had been holding water for. Needed to reseat the panel clips at the bottom as well, the card was so soft.

20181130_162155.thumb.jpg.90c1a3c0df9e182be4a279c605ab41d7.jpg

Oh, and whilst you're there, check the drain holes in the bottom of the door itself aren't blocked. Don't have pic to hand, but as I remember, they are two slots - one in front facing edge of door at the very bottom, the other further back and underneath.

Edited by Pzero

Guys thanks so much for the help and the links etc very decent of you all

Vapor barrier...............i would never have thought of that come to think of it i have never heard of it 

5 minutes ago, fivefan said:

Guys thanks so much for the help and the links etc very decent of you all

Vapor barrier...............i would never have thought of that come to think of it i have never heard of it 

No one does until they get wet feet ;)

Key advice is to remove it fully (carefully) warm up and scrape the old stuff off (hairdryer), clean the surface (autoglym tar remover or similar), give it a slight key with some simple sand paper, apply the new mastic and then press the vapour barrier back on, spread the mastic that way, not before

It's an easy job, but take your time removing the door card as the clips can be brittle. The middle one needs a good pull to release it, slide the card up and off the top clips

If not done or owned already, buy these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MATCC-Removal-Fastener-Remover-Installation/dp/B07C7SFF1G/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1547232893&sr=8-6&keywords=car+trim+removal+pliers

Thanks mate i have just ordered the set off Amazon it looks really useful cant remember how many clips i broke over the years

trying to pries off door cards with a rusty screwdriver