jester77

Discs / pads / sensors - cost?

Been quoted £640 from BMW for front and rear discs / pads / sensors for my 530i.

Seems I can get Brembo's from Amazon for literally half of that.  Any reason why I shouldn't go for them?

Here is the link to the front discs as an example:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brembo-09-9172-11-Front-Brake-Disc/dp/B00CJO8XWC/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1547163786&vehicle=16-1745-5079-118556-2-0&sr=1-1&keywords=brake+discs

None at all, why pay BMWs stupidly high priced? They’re still brakes and Brembo do a good job ;)

Check out the likes of Mtec brakes too, they do their own discs and pads as well as sensors, they’re very good and I’ve used them for years. The sensor via Meyle on eBay would only be a few quid IIRC, worth seeing what you can source there too (ATE do very good discs/pads)

Just use RealOEM for your part numbers and search for those, then go from there 

Thanks - will look up the part numbers and have a look around.

Has anyone found a particular brand better at resisting rust? I hate seeing those rusty hubs through the wheel spokes though seems to be present on even the newest BMWs!

9 hours ago, jester77 said:

Been quoted £640 from BMW for front and rear discs / pads / sensors for my 530i.

That's them politely telling you to feck off!  They obviously don't want the job.

BMW online service quoted me £564 for front pads and discs on my F10.

Brake_service_price.jpg

I paid £364 for the genuine pads, discs, and sensor from my local BMW dealer and I'll fit tomorrow.

Here is my E60 front brake pads diy.  ITs quite straight forward if you know which end of a spanner to hold.

1 hour ago, jester77 said:

Thanks - will look up the part numbers and have a look around.

Has anyone found a particular brand better at resisting rust? I hate seeing those rusty hubs through the wheel spokes though seems to be present on even the newest BMWs!

Mtec do coated hubs for an additional price, or just paint them yourself with some Hammerite high temp paint, before they're fitted.

This is what I've done on my 730D; had already painted the brake calipers in Hammerite HT silver, so did the same with the brake disc hubs, no more rust :) 

Keep an eye on Euro car parts, you can get Brembos on there and they frequently have really good sales.  I got brembo front disks and pads for about £150 and another £8 for the sensor off ebay (Althoigh I mistakenly got 2 as I never realised you only need 1 sensor per axle!) the guide already linked above is really easy to follow to DIY, all you need is a jack and a decent socket set.

Thanks for this.  Only thing I have noticed is that it seems that the 530i should have 348/345mm diameter discs (front/rear). The Brembo's on this link (and on Amazon) are showing only 324/320mm (even though they still come up once filtered with my reg plate).

Is it any issue to go with the smaller discs?  Not looking to penny pinch, especially on brakes on a family car, but the cost difference seems pretty big...

Ah...not sure. Hopefully some one can help with that as its a great price. Try also Autodoc.co.uk especially with their App as they're reasonably priced and have 20+% discount all the time. They also do various bmw factory parts like Pierburg, (Textar, Jurid) discs and pads amongst others. ECP is only okay if 60%. Always double check with ebay...

Edited by RightHandGoose

12 minutes ago, jester77 said:

Thanks for this.  Only thing I have noticed is that it seems that the 530i should have 348/345mm diameter discs (front/rear). The Brembo's on this link (and on Amazon) are showing only 324/320mm (even though they still come up once filtered with my reg plate).

Which 530i ?  324mm is correct for mine, and that is what I bought last time (Pagid)

It’s a 2007 LCI SE Touring. Realoem is showing the larger discs. Have to say I thought it was only the V8s that had the larger discs...  Happy to be told different!

(could always measure what is on there currently - will do when I get home)

Worth looking on here too:

https://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-discs/bmw/5-series-touring-e61-03-11/530i-03-05-03-11.html - 2 different hub types

Thinkng the LCI does have the bigger brakes, same ones as my 730D

Edited by d_a_n1979

20 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

If RealOEM say that you’ve the larger discs, that’s what you’ll have and need to buy

Have you used your VIN on RealOEM?

Agree with d_a_n your hub and calipers will be sized/spaced for the discs that were fitted previously sonyou will need to buy those specified for your car.  

When I did my front ones Eurocar parts gave me the smaller 310mm discs instead of the 324mm ones for my 520D by mistake, I never even realised until I tried fitting one, it wouldnt even fit correctly onto the hub had to go back and change them.

Edited by Modge

8 minutes ago, jester77 said:

Yes can confirm it has the larger discs on it currently :(

Personally I'd go with Mtec; their grooved or C Hook discs are perfect for road going cars, their own brake pads are very good too

I run their C Hook discs on my 730D and did on both my previous 530i E39s, used EBC Yellowstuff (current pads) and their own pads and they are very good

This, with a fresh brake fluid flush and refill and maybe HEL braided lines, will give you a superb braking set up :)