Sign in to follow this  
hippie dave

Phone line rental advice.

I am trying to switch broadband providers. The new company cannot proceed until the old company give them permission to transfer the line over, which the old company have refused to do.

The reason I am switching is because the old company would not respond to emails or answer phone calls in relation to a billing error. I have tried contacting them and asking them to release the line- still nothing!

BT Openreach don't deal with the general public, and you have to wait 8 weeks before going to OFCOM.

I kind of just want my phone line back. Has anyone encountered anything like this before and is there a way around it?

DH

Sorry to bore you all. hope you had a good xmas and new year. Here's a picture of my current fleet while the E28 sits tucked up under a blanket in the lockup!! We also have a target date for completion of the E24- Le mans 2019!!!

49755939_10156903018989798_682438575551949050833_10156884335409798_530501119447249528599_10156884335309798_9089591841468

Edited by hippie dave

Were you switching via something like uswitch?  I thought the old supplier was duty bound to give it up, unless you still have Xmonths of contract to go with them?  Have the old company said why they won't change over?  

2 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Were you switching via something like uswitch?  I thought the old supplier was duty bound to give it up, unless you still have Xmonths of contract to go with them?  Have the old company said why they won't change over?  

I just contacted the new company directly and set up an account- no middle man.

I cannot get hold of the old company at all (They're called Onestream: ten foot bargepole etc).

I set up an account with Onestream in October when I moved in, and paid around £68 up-front for router delivery and installation of a phone socket.

I actually had to chase them for an installation date- they'd been quiet for about a week following payment so I rang them up- "oh yes he's coming in two days time, sorry we should've put that in writing to you as soon as we'd booked it". Good one!

As it happened, on the day, the engineer showed up three hours late with no communication. I had to explain to my boss that I'm having the rest of the day off now- could've done without that!

I got my first Bill from them in late December- and they had overcharged me by around £75.

They had added that installation and router charge to the bill when I'd already paid it. 

My monthly usage charge was also wrong- it wasn't what was set out in the agreement (which I had in writing when I set up the account). 

I queried it, they said that because they'd screwed up the installation of the phone line I could keep the installation charge- they then refunded me the £68 I'd paid in october. OK, but said nothing about my usage charge. 

They then took the full amount of the (disputed) bill, including this installation charge which they said I could keep, from me at the start of January. Around £103. 

4th January (a week ago) I went to ring them to ask why. Got put on hold for ten minutes before being cut off.

So I emailed them outlining the situation, and asked them to phone me urgently so we could put this right. I explained that I had tried ringing them, and said that if they didn't call me within 24 hours, I would be "cancelling the contract and taking steps to recover my losses".

Three days later, nothing. 

So I rang up my bank and reported them for theft, got the £103 refunded no problem and stopped the direct debit. 

Switched off and unplugged router. 

Went to set up new account with first utility- who told me about the line rental issues outlined above. So Onestream will speak to them but not to me- annoying. 

Emailed onestream immediately afterwords. Said I was cancelling the contract, had recovered the £103 (which I told them I would do!) and filled out their cancellation form. I have offered to pay the two months charges I owe (nov and dec) and return the router.  

Still nothing. 

Hi Dave as a person works in IT we deal wit similar issues daily. Unless there is not enough phone lines at the telegraph pole serving your property, your new supplier does not need your old phone line however this would mean with new phone line you will have new phone number. If it is a BT wholesale product onestream using the new supplier should be able to takeover the line no problem it is called unsolicited cease.

Thanks for your suggestions Gents.

Changing the landline number isn't an issue if it comes to it. I don't really need a landline but it comes free with most broadband only deals- so it cant hurt.

Another idea thrown my way was to set up fibre broadband: which doesn't require a phone line. It's considerably more expensive though, and much much more capacity and speed than I'm  ever going to use. I only ever really do forums, emails and spotify. 

I set up an account with talktalk last week and am just awaiting a router now. I rang them up and explained the situation, and they assured me it wouldn't be a problem. 

I actually managed to get through to a human being at onestream on friday. I stated that I've cancelled my contract, and I've sent you the appropriate form so please don't bamboozle me with questions- you've already got everything in writing. I explained the line rental business and could he please free up the line for re-use now, to which he said "Its all automated and the system would have automatically generated a refusal. I'll read through the email chain, speak to my manager and call you back in half an hour". Guess what no call back. Tried returning the call twice, both times I got put on hold for ten minutes then disconnected.

Bollocks to em. I'm satisfied that I've recovered my losses and consistently offered to pay what I owe. If they want to chase me they can but you know what? I think that's unlikely. :lol:

Thanks again chaps!