euclid

Battery replacement needs coding?

1 minute ago, euclid said:

Unfortunately bad info does not only come from the interner, but from the "experts" as well. I asked a couple of battery suppliers and indies, all gave me the same answer, that no coding is needed when the battery is of the same type! It seems that correct coding is needed after all.

Yeesh! They need to read up more on the complicated BMW electrical systems then. Wonder if they have lots of people coming back with duff batteries after a few months?!

The guy I saw on Tuesday bought his battery from a reputable local battery shop and was told it didn't need coding or registering, the other problem can be what you got with the car as it may already be the wrong battery thanks to a previous owner.

Well my local garage also told me years ago that they didn't need registering, and that they had fitted new batteries to several E60s over the years with no problems at all. So I took it to the local BMW Indie who registered it for a small sum. 

Unfortunately I am out of the UK right now. Believe it or not ALL BMW dealers around here charge 350 euros for coding alone!

Well, they're kind of right - a new battery only needs 'coding' if it is a different capacity or type. But ALL new batteries need registering. They are two different processes.