Dakota

Farewell and thanks

Sold the F10 today. We never really clicked I'm afraid. Coming from a smooth petrol, and after two e34s years ago I had hoped for more. No premium car should sound like that, the engine grated every time I touched the throttle at slow speeds. She was a sublime cruiser once up to speed, but getting there hurt. The ride was a disappointment too. Never plush, it fidgeted. The e34 rode better. Blame big wheels I suppose. The grommit was sorted, I had two doors painted and €2000 worth of warranty work with months of taking they keys. That did it for me, I didn't like the car enough to endure costly servicing with age.

Of course there was lots to like, the interior is one of the best, and to my eyes it is a beautiful, classic BMW design. With a different engine, and deeper pockets I may have felt different. 

As a life  long BMW fan it saddens me to say I won't miss it.

To everyone here, a big thank you. Some brilliant advice and support. These cars need a good community, and this is one the best.

Collecting new car on Friday. Off the Skoda forum with me. 

2 hours ago, Dakota said:

The ride was a disappointment too. Never plush, it fidgeted. The e34 rode better.

The E34 was a sublime car and way ahead of it's time when it came out. The older generations of BMWs really stood out on their own against the competition and I have such fond memories of my old E28 525e in particular. Cars produced today conform to the predetermined requirements of their target sectors, resulting in a bland mix of sameness. BMWs have to be price competitive, so increasing numbers of their components are made in Chinese factories that make similar parts for other cars.

Having said that, I still believe BMW makes the best 6 cylinder engines.

Modern Skodas are good too. Hope you enjoy it!

8 hours ago, pidgeonpost said:

I wonder if the 1.8d is noisier than other small diesels.

Friend of the wife bought a brand new X1, with a 1.8d engine and at idle in my driveway I couldn't have a conversation over the noise this thing was making. Not for me.

Good luck with the Skoda. My father in law had one for years. It just kept going without issue.  When I helped him work on it a few times, all the bits were badged up with Audi and VW markings.

Good luck with the new car - let us know how you get with it.

I have driven a current shape Superb and am a fan of the Yeti (not made any more) and Kodiak

36 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

all the bits were badged up with Audi and VW markings.

Yes, many years back it was often said that VAG used up many bits from previous VW models by building them into the Skoda range. They do have a good reputation for reliability and longevity. For a while we had a MK5 Golf (1.8 diesel) followed by a Passat 1.9. The Golf diesel was very quiet, but the Passat made a hell of a din until up to cruising speed. Seem to remember reading that they started using the Audi engine in the Passat at some stage which was supposed to be a bit more refined. 

Don’t think you’ll regret the move. The F10 sounds like it was very much the wrong car for you!

Which Skoda are you moving onto?

Good you made this decision, from the posts you were making it was clear you were not happy with the car in the end, although having a de-tuned 520d wouldnt have helped things...

See ya

Edited by IINexusII

Good luck with the new car. 

And for all those on here, nothing wrong with the 2.0 diesel. Its absolutely fine for what it is, yes its not a 6 cylinder and yes its not as fast as one but not as bad as everyone with a small willy complex makes it to be. 

Shame that OP got the absolute worst variation of that engine aimed at company car drivers who, lets be honest, didn't really care about performance. I would have personally remapped before selling. They can easily be remapped to 520d levels or even 525d as the stock 147bhp and 243 lb/ft are not enough. You could have had that car running at at 230bhp and 340 lb/ft, im sure it would have made for a different experience. Having said that, if it was in for a lot of warranty work, maybe it would not have been worth the risk and you dodged a bullet. 

Edited by sjak92

12 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

Good luck with the new car. 

And for all those on here, nothing wrong with the 2.0 diesel. Its absolutely fine for what it is, yes its not a 6 cylinder and yes its not as fast as one but not as bad as everyone with a small willy complex makes it to be. 

Shame that OP got the absolute worst variation of that engine aimed at company car drivers who, lets be honest, didn't really care about performance. I would have personally remapped before selling. They can easily be remapped to 520d levels or even 525d as the stock 147bhp and 243 lb/ft are not enough. You could have had that car running at at 230bhp and 340 lb/ft, im sure it would have made for a different experience. Having said that, if it was in for a lot of warranty work, maybe it would not have been worth the risk and you dodged a bullet. 

I would not call it a willy complex as such, but there still is no real "replacement" for having more cylinders to "count on" when it comes to smoothness. More cylinders not working as hard clearly is going to be doing less work than fewer cylinders.

If I were being 100% honest I preferred the 3 cylinder 218i (gearing on the manual was a tad long, and the CDV pissed me off) I had for a day to the 320d (in both N47 and B47 variants) as well as the B47 in a G31 520D. Yes the 4 pots are "adequate", but if you just want to get home in quietness with minimal intrusion then having the 6 pot there even in diesel still has more appeal.

Ironically, despite years of downsizing to meet emissions targets many manufacturers are going back to larger capacity engines as in the real world under WLTP and RDE conditions these downsized engines performed rarely better than a larger capacity one. 

Even now I find the 3 litre N57's economy amazing considering only a decade ago I was driving a 2 litre diesel 4 pot that only got a whisker above it in terms of MPG (and that was in a car verging on 500kg lighter to boot!). I know which I would prefer sitting behind now, even with more emissions gubbins.

Mine will have been in for the EGR Cooler, yellow peril and as yet a slight tappety noisy in colder conditions and not there when fully warmed up (suspect glowplugs/glowplug controller/injector) yes I will have to pay a bit, but brutally I still cannot really get behind some of the more recent models in terms of design or function (and I do sadly find the presence of more numerous tappety 4 pots frustrating)

3 minutes ago, Ninja59 said:

I would not call it a willy complex as such, but there still is no real "replacement" for having more cylinders to "count on" when it comes to smoothness. More cylinders not working as hard clearly is going to be doing less work than fewer cylinders.

+1!! 

+2!!

On the noise of the 4 pot and Skoda's, we run 7 Octavia SE's with nav etc for the engineers @ work all do in excess of 30k pa and are the 1.6d 115bhp machines and they are smashing cars.

Other than servicing I've had to replace 1 battery under warranty. I would have no hesitation whatsoever going over to Skoda.

The Mrs has a Golf and the 1.6d in that is surprisingly quiet on tickover.

49 minutes ago, Ninja59 said:

+3

There is no substitution for cubic capacity, something I miss going form my E60 to F10. No amount of blowers will compensate for the way bigger displacement engines do their thing in the way they do their thing.

Thanks folks.  Just to be clear my issue was never with power or performance. The car was plenty quick for me and having tested both 520 and 518, it was only at motorway speeds that the power deficit was felt.  My main issue was the N47 (I found the B47 the same) racket and refinment at slow speeds. It just drove me crazy, everything about the car shouts premium and refinement, until you tickle the throttle.  I couldn't live with it.  At speed it was lovely and smooth, the issue was getting there.

This was obviously made worse having come from a very refined petrol.

I'm getting a Skoda Superb III, the same as my wifes. 150bhp 1.4ts ACT. It is a phenomenal engine. Fast, frugal and SO much more refined than the BMW (almost silent at idle), more spacious and far cheaper to maintain. A bit more road noise at speed, but very little in it really.  Obviously the BMW interior, which I always loved, is in a different league. For anyone who scoffs at this move, you haven't driven the Skoda :-).

All 6 pot owners missed complete what I said here. I specifically said the 6 pot is better, there is no argument about that, but the premium of having one is just not worth it. 

Example, 530d G30 is almost £10k more than a 520d. Yes it’s more refined, smoother, better pick up and sound better but how can you justify that? I know I couldn’t despite really really wanting to. 

Buying used is is still the same case, there is a significant premium.

For that reason, the 4 pots won’t dissapear and oh my god will you guys have a hissy fit when the next 5 series base engine will be a 3 pot and the 540i (present) equivalent will be what’s going into the new X2 M35i (ie a 2.0 four pot)

contrary to what hat you guys think, downsizing is a thing and it is happening, all the time and will continue to do so. 

i have to agree with above, yes i miss the noise and smoothness from the M57 but apart from that, enough power for commuting and the general trend going forward, soon there will be no noise to worry about and no vibrations at all once we get electric

5 minutes ago, bmwf113.0d said:

the 10k purchase cost is offset with the resale value though...

Well that’s partly true I suppose if you wait until you sell it at whatever depreciated value it has. Same for a Rolls Royce I suppose, but lots of people are stretched to get a 520 far less a 530 and I’d rather have a newer model than have to drop a few years for the other.

each to their own.

Sadly, as average speeds continue to fall there will be less and less opportunities to appreciate larger engines. They'll become an indulgence and a niche market. Eventually, it will be uneconomical for manufacturers to offer anything other than one or two small engines with different mapping (we're almost there). 

1 hour ago, Dakota said:

Thanks folks.  Just to be clear my issue was never with power or performance. The car was plenty quick for me and having tested both 520 and 518, it was only at motorway speeds that the power deficit was felt.  My main issue was the N47 (I found the B47 the same) racket and refinment at slow speeds. It just drove me crazy, everything about the car shouts premium and refinement, until you tickle the throttle.  I couldn't live with it.  At speed it was lovely and smooth, the issue was getting there.

This was obviously made worse having come from a very refined petrol.

I'm getting a Skoda Superb III, the same as my wifes. 150bhp 1.4ts ACT. It is a phenomenal engine. Fast, frugal and SO much more refined than the BMW (almost silent at idle), more spacious and far cheaper to maintain. A bit more road noise at speed, but very little in it really.  Obviously the BMW interior, which I always loved, is in a different league. For anyone who scoffs at this move, you haven't driven the Skoda :-).

My brother in law has just got himself a Superb estate and it's a bloody fantastic car, very spacious inside and with a superb spec too!

When I decide to actually get an estate (instead of saying I will and then end up with another saloon :lol: ) I'll certainly be looking into Skoda's!

1 hour ago, bmwf113.0d said:

Let the scoffers scoff, it keeps the prices of the Skoda's low.

Our neighbour is on his second superb, this one has the brolly in the rear doors, akin to the RR's

I looked at the LK ones but couldn't find a decent 6 pot one at the time

Get some pics up

Haha yeah; that brolly thing is cool IMO 8)