Dakota

Farewell and thanks

45 minutes ago, Duncan Johnson said:

If only I could live with a cruise control button that doesn't do 5mph increments....

image.png.cf2a4b2df01fb344d277a5c5003f51f1.png

3 hours ago, sjak92 said:

All 6 pot owners missed complete what I said here. I specifically said the 6 pot is better, there is no argument about that, but the premium of having one is just not worth it. 

Example, 530d G30 is almost £10k more than a 520d. Yes it’s more refined, smoother, better pick up and sound better but how can you justify that? I know I couldn’t despite really really wanting to. 

Buying used is is still the same case, there is a significant premium.

For that reason, the 4 pots won’t dissapear and oh my god will you guys have a hissy fit when the next 5 series base engine will be a 3 pot and the 540i (present) equivalent will be what’s going into the new X2 M35i (ie a 2.0 four pot)

contrary to what hat you guys think, downsizing is a thing and it is happening, all the time and will continue to do so. 

Depends how you define downsizing....many of the newer engines are going in the opposite direction larger capacity as the smaller engines are useless and no more fuel efficient in the real world.

I don't actually have anything against the triples, I actually think they sound better than most of the 4 pots ironically. Almost like a mini 6. The issue with a lot of triples though is balancing them and even BMW have had issues with the triples and the issues of counterbalancing them properly.

In fairness it is semi "pointless" talking about cylinder count as in essence nearly all manufacturers base it on modular architectures with 500cc in many cases. 

Hi Dakota

Know how you feel.

Used to have pristine xtype - great car except noisy engine at low speeds. 

Was told it was probably injectors but new ones may still be noisy as very high pressure system  - luck of the draw.

Spoilt whole xtype experience  - all I could ever hear was the noisy engine.

One day someone run into the side of it and wrote it off -  problem solved.

Edited by Caerfryn

3 hours ago, Ninja59 said:

Depends how you define downsizing....many of the newer engines are going in the opposite direction larger capacity as the smaller engines are useless and no more fuel efficient in the real world.

I don't actually have anything against the triples, I actually think they sound better than most of the 4 pots ironically. Almost like a mini 6. The issue with a lot of triples though is balancing them and even BMW have had issues with the triples and the issues of counterbalancing them properly.

In fairness it is semi "pointless" talking about cylinder count as in essence nearly all manufacturers base it on modular architectures with 500cc in many cases. 

how else can you define downsizing?

replacing higher capacity engines with lower capacity alternatives which are turbo or supercharged (or both in some cases). Literarily happening everywhere. Some examples in past 8 years

M5 down from V10 to V8

RS6 down from V10 to V8

E63 down from 6.2 to 4.0

Base Golf petrol 1.2 down from 1.4. Diesel 1.6 down from 2.0

All of Fords models with the ecoBoost - the mustang running a 2.3 Four Pot, the new Ford GT only being a v6

BMW 7 series, Mercedes S Class or Audi A8 now running 2.0 four pots in base configurations. 

Golf R now being a 4 pot compared to the old R32

Its been happening for years and it will continue to do so going forwards 

You want to see how road cars will end up in the future, look at formula one!

All the technology filters down from them....

Anyway, we had a superb a few years ago as a courtesy car whilst the cayenne was in for repairs (some nugget hit the wing mirror causing over £3k worth of damage :shock: ) it was a sport version, can’t remember what model it was but jeez it was good!

4x4 2.0 diesel I think? It went very well indeed, but you know what the fastest car in the world is, yup that’s right a hire car! :lol: 

9 hours ago, Yokozuna said:

You want to see how road cars will end up in the future, look at formula one!

All the technology filters down from them....

Forgot to mention that, much of downsizing and hybrid turbos and other stuff like battery recharge on braking etc stems from there.

21 hours ago, sjak92 said:

All 6 pot owners missed complete what I said here. I specifically said the 6 pot is better, there is no argument about that, but the premium of having one is just not worth it. 

Example, 530d G30 is almost £10k more than a 520d. Yes it’s more refined, smoother, better pick up and sound better but how can you justify that? I know I couldn’t despite really really wanting to. 

Buying used is is still the same case, there is a significant premium.

For that reason, the 4 pots won’t dissapear and oh my god will you guys have a hissy fit when the next 5 series base engine will be a 3 pot and the 540i (present) equivalent will be what’s going into the new X2 M35i (ie a 2.0 four pot)

contrary to what hat you guys think, downsizing is a thing and it is happening, all the time and will continue to do so. 

Each to their own fella. This is only my 2nd Beemer, but they’ve both had 6 pots. No coincidence there, the engines were the primary reason for my purchases.

You’re spot on about downsizing though. Heck, in my other love of cars, Alfa’s, there’s talk of a 1.3 being put in the Giulia. Which is why I intend to enjoy Rome (and Bavaria) while it burns.

5 minutes ago, goram said:

This is only my 2nd Beemer, but they’ve both had 6 pots. No coincidence there, the engines were the primary reason for my purchases.

Again, I stand by the fact that I would prefer a 530d to my 520d, it is a better car overall, no arguments here. And yes there are times where I am driving and I mutter to myself that I wish I had gone for the 530d but then I remember that it would have cost me around £200 a month more and suddenly I'm ok with a 520d again. 

This is a pointless argument anyway. For me, a 520d does what I want it to do and I enjoy the car my thinking behind the purchase was that it will spend most of its time on a motorway during my rush hour commute, for that it has been perfect. If I want something to put my foot down in it would never be a 5 series diesel, hence I'm currently looking to get back into a E46 M3 before the price rocket like the E36 did. 

The Giulia Quadrifoglio is another great example of downsizing. A 2.9 heavily turbocharged V6 when Alfa could have easily borrowed a F154 V8 from Ferrari rather than develop a whole new engine V6 variant of the same engine

53 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

Again, I stand by the fact that I would prefer a 530d to my 520d, it is a better car overall, no arguments here. And yes there are times where I am driving and I mutter to myself that I wish I had gone for the 530d but then I remember that it would have cost me around £200 a month more and suddenly I'm ok with a 520d again. 

This is a pointless argument anyway. For me, a 520d does what I want it to do and I enjoy the car my thinking behind the purchase was that it will spend most of its time on a motorway during my rush hour commute, for that it has been perfect. If I want something to put my foot down in it would never be a 5 series diesel, hence I'm currently looking to get back into a E46 M3 before the price rocket like the E36 did. 

The Giulia Quadrifoglio is another great example of downsizing. A 2.9 heavily turbocharged V6 when Alfa could have easily borrowed a F154 V8 from Ferrari rather than develop a whole new engine V6 variant of the same engine

I thought the 2.9 turbo was developed by ferrari and the version in the QF is the lowest power option... lovely looking car, either way.

Edit to add agree it's a pointless discussion about engines. Each to their own etc. Personally IDGAF what anyone else on the Internet thinks about my real world choice of purchase and don't see why anyone else would either. 

Edited by bmwmike

Collected the new car. Very, very happy. I'll be murdered here but in ways that matter to me it is so much better than the BMW. Namely refinement. The engine is EV quiet. Kept forgetting to change up a gear as you can't hear the engine! Loads more space, feels solid as a rock. Don't know how Skoda do it.

skoda.jpg

Edited by Dakota

1 hour ago, Dakota said:

skoda.jpg

To echo my point from earlier about how modern cars seem to conform more and more to the same design specification, I can see that even Skoda have started imitating the Hofmeister Kink next to the C-pillar!

I have nothing against Skodas and that is a nice looking car, but in reality, it could look like any make you wanted if you just changed the headlights and grill.

10 hours ago, bmwmike said:

I thought the 2.9 turbo was developed by ferrari and the version in the QF is the lowest power option

Correct, Ferrari developed engine on the F154 platform which usually is a 3.8/3.9 V8 used in the California, 488, Portofino etc and Maserati's.

Its the same engine essentially with two cylinders chopped off but somehow Ferrari manages to have just under 500cc per cylinder, hence odd numbers.  

3 hours ago, Dakota said:

Collected the new car. Very, very happy. I'll be murdered here but in ways that matter to me it is so much better than the BMW. Namely refinement. The engine is EV quiet. Kept forgetting to change up a gear as you can't hear the engine! Loads more space, feels solid as a rock. Don't know how Skoda do it.

skoda.jpg

Very nice. No xenons/LED daylight running lights?

1 minute ago, 535i Andrew said:

Looks a fine machine, I hope you enjoy it.

VW do know how to make refined Diesels, albeit, just don't take their word on mpg....;)

MPG is fine, pollutant figures less so :mrgreen:  I'm sure they all play (broadly) by the rules now they've had their collar felt.

I like that car. I've been in a few, as taxi drivers love them. Roomy, reliable, and well equipped. I know what someone said about their anonymous look, but they're a decent car - and believe it or not they hold their value well & sell well secondhand.

@Dakota has yours got the crazy split rear tailgate open thingy? 

Where you can either open just the metal part of the tailgate to reveal a huge chasm of a boot or open the whole lot that reveals what seems to be the Grand Canyon....

nice car!

I do like them, they put most Luxo-barges to shame! ;) 

9 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Looks a fine machine, I hope you enjoy it.

VW do know how to make refined Diesels, albeit, just don't take their word on mpg....;)

Petrol Andy, I'm done with diesel!  As smooth as a 6 cylinder BMW, though without the creamy noise.

9 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

8 hours ago, Yokozuna said:

@Dakota has yours got the crazy split rear tailgate open thingy? 

Where you can either open just the metal part of the tailgate to reveal a huge chasm of a boot or open the whole lot that reveals what seems to be the Grand Canyon....

nice car!

I do like them, they put most Luxo-barges to shame! ;) 

No crazy opening, just s very large, single piece hatch into a cavernous boot. That old arrangement was a bit OTT.

Umm not to be a shit stirrer but isn’t the 0-60 time of the 1.4 Superb and the 518d like almost identical? Surely given that the diesel has more torque it was also more confident at accelerating at speed?

32 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

Umm not to be a shit stirrer but isn’t the 0-60 time of the 1.4 Superb and the 518d like almost identical? Surely given that the diesel has more torque it was also more confident at accelerating at speed?

0-60 much the same, BMW had better in gear acceleration. For my kind of driving though no meaningful difference. This was never about performance though, but refinement. That is day and night. The video from the dealer was telling. Full tour of the car, inside and out, utter silence, when he opened the door the rev counter was at 800 rpm. :)