Sign in to follow this  
Cadwell Parker

Test drove these two cars today

4 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

I refuse to go to Douglas Park.

Never had dealings with them. Are they that bad?

2 hours ago, BFleming said:

On the VDC subject, I have 130,000 miles (almost) on my car, and the shocks are still fully functional, as is the VDC system. To remove it, you simply unplug each shock, and remove the coding from the car (very easily done). Then replace the shocks with non VDC units.

The active steering and adaptive drive options are different, with rear wheel steering and/or virtual roll bars. They are pricey, complicated, and (in the case of the adaptive drive) can go wrong.

That's good to know. I wondered whether I'd be stuck with them forever or be able enjoy them while they lasted and replace with more affordable non VDC items should they fail. The indy car now looks more appealing again :lol:

On 11/01/2019 at 07:46, 535i Andrew said:

My Senator had a version of the VDC, electronically variable shockers. 

They never worked.

Rears were £250 each. Fronts were £300 each and that was nearly 19 years ago! 

Struggling to see how that is relevant in this thread.

What is more relevant is that my VDC works perfectly well and allows for a sublimely smooth ride and flat cornering and speed changes.

Can someone confirm for me please as I've only got the lowly passive suspension but does VDC actively damp or is it just adjustable across the soft medium and hard settings ?  I don't get what makes it drive so sublimely well unless the damping itself within each of the modes regardless of firmness is doing something other than passively damping? It just 3 shocks in one isn't it?

Active rollbars I can understand the fuss.

Thanks muchly

40 minutes ago, bmwmike said:

Can someone confirm for me please as I've only got the lowly passive suspension but does VDC actively damp or is it just adjustable across the soft medium and hard settings ?  I don't get what makes it drive so sublimely well unless the damping itself within each of the modes regardless of firmness is doing something other than passively damping? It just 3 shocks in one isn't it?

Active rollbars I can understand the fuss.

Thanks muchly

EDC is the same as what we call VDC - my build sheet actually says S223A Electronic Damper Control (EDC) - which this link explains; http://www.bmw.com.kh/asia/en/insights/technology/technology_guide/articles/electronic_damper_control.html?content_type=index&source=/asia/en/insights/technology/technology_guide/articles/adaptive_drive.html&article=electronic_damper_control

Electronic Damper Control (EDC) automatically or manually adjusts each damper to suit the driving conditions meaning you enjoy outstanding comfort along with the best in BMW on-road safety. EDC reduces variations in wheel load, ensures tyres have excellent traction and counteracts bodyshell movement regardless of the weight your automobile may be carrying or the state of the road's surface.

Sensors constantly monitor all factors influencing the vehicle's behaviour and occupants' comfort, in order to precisely adjust the damper control. In a fraction of a second, the signals are analysed by the EDC microprocessor and orders are sent to the actuators on the shock absorbers, which, with the help of magnetic valves, are variably adjusted to provide optimal suspension. Thanks to Electronic Damper Control, the tendency for the nose to dip when braking is practically eliminated. The influence of potholes and unevenness on the road surface is reduced to minimum.

In addition to increased driving comfort and improved roll characteristics on the tyres, EDC also contributes to vehicle stability and safety. By reducing the nose's tendency to dip when braking and improving the tyre traction, EDC shortens the braking distance when braking heavily. The damper adjustment means that even when braking with ABS the vehicle chassis remains upright on the road and all four wheels have the largest possible contact to the surface.

The Driving Experience Control switch with ECO PRO lets the driver choose between various programs (like COMFORT, NORMAL, SPORT or SPORT+) and adjust the suspension to suit his individual needs.

Also explained in this video;

It's a shocker with a valve (turned by the motor or actuator on each shock) that constantly adjusts the flow of oil between the two sides of the piston in the shocker cylinder. Valve open at max gives very soft ride (lots of damping) for wafting along on the straight and when it's virtually closed gives harder/stiffer ride (less damping) and helps the car remain flat when cornering.  Its all fed from the wheel sensors, steering angle sensors, yaw sensors etc. Except it analyses what the car is doing really quickly and sorts it all out for you. I imagine coupled with the air springs in a touring it would make for a smooth ride.

It looks really good when speccing it from new.  I wonder how much that option tick box adds to the cost? But when its well out of warranty and the main dealer servicing and it needs new shocks when it's got big miles under its wheels, it will be pricey to replace I would imagine.  I've never needed to replace a shock on a BMW yet, but I've never owned one much beyond 90,000 miles.

14 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

It's a shocker with a valve (turned by the motor or actuator on each shock) that constantly adjusts the flow of oil between the two sides of the piston in the shocker cylinder. Valve open at max gives very soft ride (lots of damping) for wafting along on the straight and when it's virtually closed gives harder/stiffer ride (less damping) and helps the car remain flat when cornering.  Its all fed from the wheel sensors, steering angle sensors, yaw sensors etc. Except it analyses what the car is doing really quickly and sorts it all out for you. I imagine coupled with the air springs in a touring it would make for a smooth ride.

It looks really good when speccing it from new.  I wonder how much that option tick box adds to the cost? But when its well out of warranty and the main dealer servicing and it needs new shocks when it's got big miles under its wheels, it will be pricey to replace I would imagine.  I've never needed to replace a shock on a BMW yet, but I've never owned one much beyond 90,000 miles.

It's actually a magnetic valve on the shock absorbers rather than physical which is why it is so fast to react to changes in driving or road conditions and makes it more reliable.

The list for VDC was £985 when new (price list attached) BMW 5 SERIES F11 2014 price list.pdf

Update... Impatience got the better of me. I went to see the indy car again yesterday afternoon, I liked it a lot, offered them £500 less than they were asking and they accepted :shock: 

The dealer is hanging on to the car for now as it's on the list for the EGR cooler recall. The necessary parts are on back order and they're waiting for Coopers to get back to them. It's going to be a long wait now but I'd rather have the car put right before finalising the deal. The car drives really nicely on the variable dampers and will be a massive change from the elderly Passat I've been in for the last 6 years.

Can't wait for a change of wheels. Just hope the back order parts won't be too long.

44 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Good for you, looking forward to seeing pics of it when you get it.

Yup... Got to get the pics up otherwise it never happened :lol:

1 hour ago, bmwmike said:

Congrats and we'll done. I think it's a bit of a buyers market at the moment.

Actually kicking myself thinking if they just accepted my first offer I offered too much to start with but the price seems to be fair judging from online valuations so I'm not too worried. Just looking forward to driving the car.

1 minute ago, Cadwell Parker said:

Actually kicking myself thinking if they just accepted my first offer I offered too much to start with but the price seems to be fair judging from online valuations so I'm not too worried. Just looking forward to driving the car.

Not at all, sounds like you did well. Enjoy.

2 hours ago, Cadwell Parker said:

Nonsense. Trust me, you did the right thing. Exciting times!