Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Cadwell Parker

Test drove these two cars today

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, BFleming said:

Interestingly, the F10 and F11 use the same rear shocks as each other. 

 

I would beg to differ.

 

The saloon has a shock that has the coil spring around it.

 

Realoem F10 rear shock.

 

The touring has no coil spring (so no spring seat etc.) around the shock, it's a completely different part.

 

Realoem F11 rear shock

 

Not interchangeable.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BFleming said:

It's worth pointing out that there are no known weaknesses in the VDC system, but at the end of the day they are shock absorbers that won't last forever - and the VDC ones are pricey. £500+ each, compared to a non-VDC one at £250ish (£300 for the M Sport ones), or an aftermarket Sachs one at £110 or so. There are no aftermarket VDC shocks available as far as I know..

 

This is the disadvantage of VDC, indeed the only one I can see. I wonder what kind of lifespan one can expect from them and when they eventually go is it possible to replace them with non VDC items. I'm sure there will be some nice aftermarket shocks available but can you fit them to an originally VDC equipped car?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SuperDave said:

Not really helping are we...!

 

Yes you are actually. It's too easy to think yourself round in ever decreasing circles in situations like this. It is for me anyway. It's really helpful to see all these different perspectives reflected back so thanks for all the contributions so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SuperDave said:

The 18" wheels will cost less in tyres if you do higher mileages and you can run crossclimates year round in 245/45 profile with much less chance of alloy damage and a comparative magic carpet ride! 

If someone else regularly drives then the memory seats are handy

 

There's a lot to weigh up here. I'm hopeless at making decisions at the best of times. I'm thinking it might be best to just be patient for a bit longer and see what else comes up. Once march is upon us there'll be a lot more cars coming on the market so maybe more choice then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cadwell Parker said:

 

Once march is upon us there'll be a lot more cars coming on the market so maybe more choice then

There's over 502,000 cars on Autotrader at the moment; it used to sit at around 350,000 to 400,000. 500,000 at this time of year is bizarre, so I'd say it's a buyers market as it.

At the risk of being controversial, I'm not sure I rate the premium charged for AUC's. They're lower mileage by default (as that's what BMW dealers sell) so the chances of something going wrong are, well, minimal enough to begin with. You're paying over £2k for the privilege. Works for some people, just not for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, BFleming said:

There's over 502,000 cars on Autotrader at the moment; it used to sit at around 350,000 to 400,000. 500,000 at this time of year is bizarre, so I'd say it's a buyers market as it.

At the risk of being controversial, I'm not sure I rate the premium charged for AUC's. They're lower mileage by default (as that's what BMW dealers sell) so the chances of something going wrong are, well, minimal enough to begin with. You're paying over £2k for the privilege. Works for some people, just not for me.

 

Just out of curiosity I got a BMW online warranty quote for the indy car. Including emergency service it comes out at £1247 per year. Assuming I kept the car for three years and did circa 45k miles what are the chances of having to spend £3700 in repairs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Literally only a timing chain failure with main dealer parts & labour rates would exceed that - again, in my opinion only. A lot of theories about the allegedly common N47 timing chain wear & failure, but the newer the car / lower the mileage / more rigorous the servicing, the less chance of that happening. Of course the AUC might stipulate main dealer servicing, in which case you're paying top dollar again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both look nice cars, same colour of grey as mine. I don’t think I would buy one with VDC, lovely to have new or covered for the first 3 years by warranty but the thought of replacing them after damaging them via a pothole on our lovely smooth Scottish roads :lol: would put me right off a car with them.  The light beige leather doesn’t work with the silver interior trim doesn’t do it for me either. 

I would keep looking if I was you. To get one you really want. Keep an eye on out on Arnold Clark etc as they do turn over stock quickly and do get them in quite frequently. As well as having saved searches on AT etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BFleming said:

 You're paying over £2k for the privilege. Works for some people, just not for me.

 

Yes you are right they have a higher screen price, but you should never pay the screen price.

 

I got plenty off the screen price on my AUC. Dealers may be more willing (as it's in the higher screen price) to do work on the car too. If it's near needing a service, they will do it if asked (both my E60s I got the next service done). I got a full wheel alignment done too as part of my negotiations on my F10.

 

Bargin. No one buys cars in January, everyone's skint! Wait till nearer end of the month when they have a quota to hit. 

Edited by 535i Andrew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Cadwell Parker said:

 

Just out of curiosity I got a BMW online warranty quote for the indy car. Including emergency service it comes out at £1247 per year. Assuming I kept the car for three years and did circa 45k miles what are the chances of having to spend £3700 in repairs?

 

The Mondial warranty is very expensive. I didn't extend mine. I have never extended a warranty on any AUC. I needed work done to my second E60 in its first year out of warranty but I still saved ~£600 by not taking out the warranty after I paid BMW to fix.

 

Even the F11s Achilles heel of its rear air springs can be fixed for significantly less than the price of the warranty. Not to mention the aircon condenser. Water ingress from the yellow peril wouldn't be covered I don't think.

 

An N57 engine doesn't suffer from the timing chain issue the N47 does, but your quote of £1247 would cover an automatic gearbox replacement but at that age and mileage it will be fine......I hope!

 

The warranty is like any other. Tyre/wheel insurance, shortfall cover etc.  You can pay to "insure" anything but it comes at a price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BFleming said:

Of course the AUC might stipulate main dealer servicing

 

I looked into that aspect. IIRC you're not restricted to main dealer servicing but you have to use an approved BMW indy and OEM parts so it'd still be pricey compared to my mate who works out of his garage at home and I trust completely to do a proper job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

 

The Mondial warranty is very expensive. I didn't extend mine. I have never extended a warranty on any AUC. I needed work done to my second E60 in its first year out of warranty but I still saved ~£600 by not taking out the warranty after I paid BMW to fix.

 

The warranty is like any other. Tyre/wheel insurance, shortfall cover etc.  You can pay to "insure" anything but it comes at a price.

 

It's just a gamble isn't it and buying from a dealer you have no idea what kind of person has been driving the car so you have even less idea of the odds than if you were looking at a privately sold one owner car. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

Bargin. No one buys cars in January, everyone's skint! Wait till nearer end of the month when they have a quota to hit

 

Good advice there I think. Dealers will be more keen to sell then and if a private one comes up in the meantime I can consider that as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, GStarrr said:

The light beige leather doesn’t work with the silver interior trim doesn’t do it for me either. 

I would keep looking if I was you. To get one you really want. Keep an eye on out on Arnold Clark etc as they do turn over stock quickly and do get them in quite frequently. As well as having saved searches on AT etc

 

Interesting how everyone sees things their own way. I don't mind the beige seats. The silver trim doesn't look as nice as some of the others available but if a car appeared which was right in all other respects it wouldn't put me off buying. I'd just have to learn to love it. 

Beige seats seem to put of a lot of people. Not sure if it's just an aesthetic thing or concerns surrounding the practicalities of a light coloured seat covering. Yes they might start to look grubby sooner than black ones but the black ones would still be just as dirty, just hiding it better :D;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, GStarrr said:

I would keep looking if I was you. To get one you really want. Keep an eye on out on Arnold Clark etc as they do turn over stock quickly and do get them in quite frequently. As well as having saved searches on AT etc

 

I'm keeping a close on AT and presumed Arnold Clarke etc would list their stock on there. 

 

I'm also watching Ebay. I realise that's  a real minefield but I've bought three good bikes from there and my trusty Passat. It think you just have to tread carefully, only consider straight clean unmolested examples, no loud exhaust or after market bodykits etc and look more at the seller than the car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arnold Clarke recently (?) bought up the Scottish Harry Fairbairn chain which is a moderate sized decent dealership and turns over a fair approved used stock. I bought mine recently at Harry Fairbairn and all of the paperwork was AC. One small upside is that AC seemed to give quite fair trade-in valuations (I was trading a non-BMW).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Boba said:

Arnold Clarke recently (?) bought up the Scottish Harry Fairbairn chain which is a moderate sized decent dealership and turns over a fair approved used stock. I bought mine recently at Harry Fairbairn and all of the paperwork was AC. One small upside is that AC seemed to give quite fair trade-in valuations (I was trading a non-BMW).

 

I think it was atleast 10-12 years ago old man Fairbairn scummed to AC relentless pestering.  It was AC's first venture into a higher quality car and at the time caused outcry as usually when you bought a car from Arnold Clark, it was trouble and you generally got fobbed off with nonsense.  "You've been Arnold Clark'd" was a saying said around Glasgow to describe when you had been cheated or deceived.  When the big bad t'internet first appeared, Arnold Clark as a domain name lost out to someone who had registered the name with a website for the many disgruntled AC customers.  It diverted you to something like Arnoldclarksucks.com!

 

They have improved over the years, slowly. 

 

Arnold Clarks cars are all advertised with the price ending in 8, its their thing and they tend to have no negotiation on the screen price, any deal to be done is on the trade in value or on the finance.

 

I use Harry Fairbairn without issue, I don't have any choice as I refuse to go to Douglas Park.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have another couple of dealers in easy reach, one actually closer, but I prefer HF as I’ve used them for my previous BMWs with great service. When my previous one needed servicing they routinely sent a driver over 20 miles to collect/return it to my work and leave one for my use without thinking this unusual. The AC influence is well hidden though with noticeably higher quality staffing. 

 

In fact my car had a windscreen price ending in a ‘5’ and turned out to be negotiable, though I’d have preferred it a bit lower ;) .

 

I presume that ‘scummed’ was some sort of Freudian slip for ‘succumbed’? :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Boba

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Boba said:

 The AC influence is well hidden though with noticeably higher quality staffing. 

 

It is yes.  I once asked a staff member at HF Giffnock about the AC branding as I saw it on their PC and they immediatley hid it from view and made a comment about, we are not allowed to show it.  Must have been BMWs influence as they knew AC reputation was not what they wanted of their marque. Which is why its still very much Harry Fairbairn in name and not Arnold Shark!

 

Although the last couple of times I've been in Giffnock, there have been guys floating around wearing the AC branded tie which you see at all their AC branded dealerships.

 

My recent experience of dealing with AC staff was really poor until I got to speak to the organ grinder and once that happened, my issue was very swiftly and more than satisfactorily resolved.  HF staff on the other hand are really good from the off, the Gifnock branch has a couple of really good service advisers and the current workshop foreman is very good to deal with much like the chap he replaced.

 

2 hours ago, Boba said:

I presume that ‘scummed’ was some sort of Freudian slip for ‘succumbed’? :lol::lol::lol:

 

It was yes, but now looking back, perhaps my typo wasn't a typo! :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Cadwell Parker said:

 

This is the disadvantage of VDC, indeed the only one I can see. I wonder what kind of lifespan one can expect from them and when they eventually go is it possible to replace them with non VDC items. I'm sure there will be some nice aftermarket shocks available but can you fit them to an originally VDC equipped car?

On the VDC subject, I have 130,000 miles (almost) on my car, and the shocks are still fully functional, as is the VDC system. To remove it, you simply unplug each shock, and remove the coding from the car (very easily done). Then replace the shocks with non VDC units.

The active steering and adaptive drive options are different, with rear wheel steering and/or virtual roll bars. They are pricey, complicated, and (in the case of the adaptive drive) can go wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Boba said:

Arnold Clarke recently (?) bought up the Scottish Harry Fairbairn chain which is a moderate sized decent dealership and turns over a fair approved used stock. I bought mine recently at Harry Fairbairn and all of the paperwork was AC. One small upside is that AC seemed to give quite fair trade-in valuations (I was trading a non-BMW).

 

Both Harry Fairbairn and Arnold Clarke have showrooms not far from me, right across the road from each other. When I was at Fairbairns the other day I was told if I wanted to keys to any of the cars I'd have to wait for the manager to return from Clarkes across the road as they're part of the same group and he was managing both showrooms until a new appointment was made at Clarkes.

 

I've asked Fairbairns to keep an eye open for any suitable cars for me. I found them very approachable and easy to talk to. Same goes for Lloyds in Carlisle and Coopers Teesside although I've yet to buy anything yet so you'd expect them to be extra nice to me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×