535i Andrew

Disconnecting the battery

I'm going to retro fit a permanent Ctek charge point in my car and do some work on the 13pin trailer socket.  To save pulling out all the many different fuses on the towbar module side of things, I thought it would be easier just to disconnect the battery, given I'm going to be working in the battery well.

Is there anything I need to do after I reconnect the battery?  I imagine I'll lose the clock, date, time and speedo trip, etc, but is there anything else I need to do?  

Thanks

34 minutes ago, bmwmike said:

Surprised the car doesn't have a small backup supply for when the battery is changed.  My central heating timer does!

But that would add more weight, which means more emissions which more expensive VED......similarly why cars don't have spare wheels.

Just to keep the lentil munchers happy.

10 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

But that would add more weight, which means more emissions which more expensive VED......similarly why cars don't have spare wheels.

Just to keep the lentil munchers happy.

A little tiny lithium ion battery like you get on a computer motherboard would do.. similar to what powers the keyfob cr232 thingie

You'll get a friendly (!) warning bong telling you to reset the time as the others have said, but that's about it.

Oh, don't close the bootlid with the battery disconnected. I find wedging a stubby screwdriver into the boot catch (the hook on the body) stops the boot accidentally slamming shut.

yep don't close the boot, however i think you can connect jump cables / booster to the terminals under the bonnet to power the car (by opening the drivers door with the key and opening)

Thanks lads. I'll perhaps fold the seats down just in case and leave the bonnet popped! 

I've been there though, I disconnected my E39 battery when working on it. I shut the boot when it started to rain. I then panicked big style. I then rembered that there was a key hole in the boot lid. Thank goodness it Mechanically popped open!

I've a spare battery which I could plumb into the under bonnet points in an emergency. The under bonnet + terminal is straight off the battery so that's fine.