sams255

Service intervals

I was asked by someone what are the service intervals for 5 Series/ 530d.  10K for oil what

about for fuel filter, air filter and microfilter?  are you guys doing it by mileage or time like every 2 years?

8 hours ago, sams255 said:

I was asked by someone what are the service intervals for 5 Series/ 530d.  10K for oil what

about for fuel filter, air filter and microfilter?  are you guys doing it by mileage or time like every 2 years?

These cars use condition based servicing scheduling. BMW's view of servicing is listed here: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f11-530d-tou_201007/repair-manuals/00-maintenance-general-note/00-00-maintenance/1VnYt3Q7Gy

BMW has reduced the Oil change interval slightly for these cars to 25000km/2 years due to the potential dilution of the engine oil due to the newer emissions controls.

Brake fluid change for BMW cars from new is 3 years then every 2 years thereafter.

You'll find though that a number of drivers (me included) change the oil every year if they don't do the miles first.

It's all condition based (age) or mileage depending which comes first. 

oil every 20k (nuts on any car esp a Diesel) or two years.

Pollen filter is two years.

Vehicle inspection is every 36k.

Engine air filter is every 2nd or 3rd oil change. Fuel filter is similar I think.

19 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

It's all condition based (age) or mileage depending which comes first. 

oil every 20k (nuts on any car esp a Diesel) or two years.

Pollen filter is two years.

Vehicle inspection is every 36k.

Engine air filter is every 2nd or 3rd oil change. Fuel filter is similar I think.

Yup this is the interval on my 520d N47 

However... I have it maintained at BMW as per their schedule but every 10k miles it gets an oil and filter change - roughly every 4-5 months

Now at 125k miles and still going strong, some preventative maintenance coming up (accessory belt, tensioner, water pump, vibration dampener pulley, thermostat and coolant) once the egr recall has been done and I'm hopefully good for another 100k!

Every 8-10k for me for services, oil is burnt even at that stage when renewing. i try to keep close to the following schedule:

8k - 1st - oil / oil filter

16k - 2nd (interim) - oil / oil filter / cabin filters

24k - 3rd - oil / oil filter

32k - 4th (full) - oil / oil filter / cabin filters / air filter / fuel filter

and repeat. i do around 25k miles a year so end up servicing it about 3 times a year on current schedule

Edited by IINexusII

I agree with the above even my N57 gets an interim oil change (bar the first one as it only got to 13k before asking for an oil change).

Since then it has said every 17-18k as an interval, but it gets a new oil filter and oil every 10k within that. 

Lucky for me due to the 13k one being "early" it means that my 50k/5 year servicing pack will effectively cover another service which it usually would not have which is a bonus (current mileage is showing another 4100 miles to a service @ just over 44k, it will be booked in just before the 1000 miles reading haha :))