edd_jedi

Cars holding their value better?

I was just having a browse on Auto Trader and was surprised how expensive late E60s and early F10s still are. I have owned approx 10 BMWs over the last 15 years, and have noticed in recent years that they have gradually got more expensive for the same 'age' of car.

Example - in 2008, I bought a 2002 52 reg (5 years old at the time) 540i Sport with 110k on the clock for £6200. To buy a five year old 5 series now, never mind a V8 just a 6 pot, the cheapest on Auto Trader is 11 grand for an SE! The cheapest  V8 is 17k.

My current 530d is now 14 years old, and according to Auto Trader is still worth about 2.5-3 grand. Despite it being a lovely and relatively modern feeling car, this also seems very high to me for how old it is.

This can't just be inflation as used prices have basically doubled in a decade, so is there another reason? Are people put off buying new cars, driving up the price of used cars? Are more being exported, as used cars are generally cheaper in the UK than some other European countries, again driving up prices? Or is it because car technology has plateaued so the difference between a 10 year old car and a new one feels less to people? Interested to know peoples thoughts.

Mmm..... prices for used cars like everything can be wildly unpredictable year on year,  I have no idea why prices have changed but do know from many friends and family that the  sheer amount of credit available on new cars makes me wonder why there is even a 2nd hand car market any more.

That said, if you think your current car been worth £3k in the UK is a lot, try checking out mainland European prices, they are eye watering, just checked on a site similar to e-bay called OLX here in Portugal where I live, a 2005  530d  average around 13,500 euro  or a tad over £12k   yep   £12k !!!   

New prices here are astronomical,  mostly small hatch backs and the like, if you want anything decent and need to borrow the cash !  oh and  OMG  they do 10 year finance here on Ford Focus and the like, 10 years of payments, think I would kill myself !!

bmw 530.JPG

3 hours ago, edd_jedi said:

I was just having a browse on Auto Trader and was surprised how expensive late E60s and early F10s still are. I have owned approx 10 BMWs over the last 15 years, and have noticed in recent years that they have gradually got more expensive for the same 'age' of car.

Example - in 2008, I bought a 2002 52 reg (5 years old at the time) 540i Sport with 110k on the clock for £6200. To buy a five year old 5 series now, never mind a V8 just a 6 pot, the cheapest on Auto Trader is 11 grand for an SE! The cheapest  V8 is 17k.

My current 530d is now 14 years old, and according to Auto Trader is still worth about 2.5-3 grand. Despite it being a lovely and relatively modern feeling car, this also seems very high to me for how old it is.

This can't just be inflation as used prices have basically doubled in a decade, so is there another reason? Are people put off buying new cars, driving up the price of used cars? Are more being exported, as used cars are generally cheaper in the UK than some other European countries, again driving up prices? Or is it because car technology has plateaued so the difference between a 10 year old car and a new one feels less to people? Interested to know peoples thoughts.

Noticed exactly this. Paid £4500 for 86k mile 2002 540 sport in excellent condition in 2012. If i want a 10 year old top spec E60 or F10 it's around double that price. Can't understand why tbh....

My theory is it could be to do with technology improving. I remember when I got my first E36, it was light years ahead of my previous car which had no power steering, air con, air bags, ABS etc. And again when I got my E39 which had sat nav, it made the E36 feel years old. However now cars have reached a point where innovation is drying up, so you might get a slightly nicer sat nav or some gimmick you don't really need, but technology and safety wise a 10 year old car is now still pretty road worthy. You couldn't say the same for a 10 year old Ford Fiesta in the 90s! :)

Edited by edd_jedi

I moved back from Spain 18 months ago with a LHD 2004 E46 and was shocked at the value here (Ireland) compared to Spain. Be very lucky to get 1000 for an equivalent Irish RHD. I was offered €750 as a trade-in. So it payed me to plan a holiday, drive it back over and leave it with the father in-law, then fly back after the hols. Once I put the ad up on the web it sold within 3 days for €3500. Should have advertised it for more than €3800 tbh.

Brexit aside, before you all go running to buy ferry/chunnel tickets lol, I'm pretty sure your RHDs won't be too desirable over there. Plus, cars don't rust down there, so that's one reason they hold their value better.

Keliuss

I too bought an 540i in 2008 and was thinking the same thing.. I also bought 3 immaculate e34 535i for less than £500 each. 

I belive a lot of cars are being exported especially German brands.. I have sold 3 E39s sport to a guy in Poland all MOT failures, over 250k miles and general in poor condition for £1k each.. if you also look at Copart it’s almost impossible to buy a car there due to oversea bidder.. 

Edited by kayser540

I too was surprised, my current f10 is predict to be worth short of 5.6k at the end of my finance hwoever looking at 7 years old f10s now and they are 7-8k for the same car if market goes like that i might end up keeping it.

Unfortunately UK registered cars have little value here in Portugal since they can only legally be here for up to 6 months before they need to be matriculated to a Portuguese registration with the payment of prohibitive taxes. They are liable to the equivalent of road tax based on the year of importation not the year of first registration which for older cars can make a big difference. Even if you do all this they are still worth less than the equivalent model with lhd.  Motor bikes are a different story however since until the law changes they can be imported and registered in Portugal without attracting the same taxes as cars.

2 hours ago, stevecvo said:

Motor bikes are a different story however since until the law changes they can be imported and registered in Portugal without attracting the same taxes as cars.

Rhd or lhd?

On 07/01/2019 at 14:18, mumbojumbo said:

Noticed exactly this. Paid £4500 for 86k mile 2002 540 sport in excellent condition in 2012. If i want a 10 year old top spec E60 or F10 it's around double that price. Can't understand why tbh....

Because in 2012, the E39 was already two models out of date. The F10 has only just been replaced by a new one that looks very similar. 520d's etc will come crashing down to 4-5k in a year or so.

19 hours ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

Because in 2012, the E39 was already two models out of date. The F10 has only just been replaced by a new one that looks very similar. 520d's etc will come crashing down to 4-5k in a year or so.

Hmm... Interesting.  Based on that information, now might be a good time to trade my early 2011 F10 in for something newer while there's still value in it.  I normally hang on to dailies for 3 - 4 years, but there could be a good reason to change if this is likely.