Deviant

What engine oil do you use?

6 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Yup; I'll do a minimum of x2 oil changes a year, I only do c3-5k miles a year, so it's peace of mind that the cars got fresh oil in all the time :) 

Absolutely, it's probably a waste of oil but all the intricate parts of the engine that need to be kept clean to work like variable valve timing etc. It's a simple and easy thing to do for peace of mind. If you stick with one oil it's relatively cheap, buy 20 litres on offer and you have three cheap changes. Mahle, Mann or Bosch filters for me. 

Just now, keliuss said:

This is sort of what I mean about overkill. @Modge's oil is LL-01 not the higher spec LL-04 recommended. Can't imagine it'll be an issue.

1.5k to 2.5k miles per oil change sounds a tad overkilling it :o

Maybe so, but as the car only does small mileages and the oil and filters are there to be used, I'd rather keep it all in tip-top condition.

My driving is a mix of short runs and every so often, a blast up to Scotland or down to Anglesey, so it's all just peace of mind really

Just now, Deviant said:

Absolutely, it's probably a waste of oil but all the intricate parts of the engine that need to be kept clean to work like variable valve timing etc. It's a simple and easy thing to do for peace of mind. If you stick with one oil it's relatively cheap, buy 20 litres on offer and you have three cheap changes. Mahle, Mann or Bosch filters for me. 

Exactly what I do, about the only stuff I'll get from ECP too :lol: 

On 07/01/2019 at 08:23, Deviant said:

I have noisy lifters and whilst oil is made to the same spec, and whilst I've been happy with liqui moly, I'm using additives to help stop the noise. 

I've tried Castrol Edge and Shell in my old E46, I fancy trying something different. 

I understand Valvoline 'mst' I think is right up there to be with absolutely truly true fully synthetic which I want to try next service...

1 hour ago, RightHandGoose said:

I understand Valvoline 'mst' I think is right up there to be with absolutely truly true fully synthetic which I want to try next service...

Motul make 100% synthetic.  https://www.motul.com/gb/en/products/8100-x-clean-5w30--2  Although everyone else makes fully synthetic.   Whatever that means... Shell make their oil from gas 100% synthetic stocks and not crude oil stocks, supposedly cleaner to start with. 

Edited by Deviant

2 hours ago, RightHandGoose said:

Okay then folks, what do propose for someone that does 15k a year......motorway for 99% of it.

Why do you need specific recommendations? 15k isn’t a lot, oils that meet the necessary specs will be more than adequate.

Do you feel you need to spend more £££ to get better oil/peace of mind?

Why not think like mentioned above and go for an oil that won’t cost the earth, meets all necessary specs and change it twice maybe, to keep it all fresh?

On 06/01/2019 at 18:35, Deviant said:

Petronas is almost certainly Shell in a different container. The pricing for 1-litre bottles is outrageous.  Easily up to £15 per litre. Even the ECP Comma rebranded stuff or whatever it is, is stupid money these days. 

Petronas is not the same as the Shell. The Petronas is blended in the UK under license by another brand.

Cheers,

Guy

13 hours ago, RightHandGoose said:

Okay then folks, what do propose for someone that does 15k a year......motorway for 99% of it.

Oil is like tyres, very subjective and will get loads of different opinions.

As long as its on the list of approved oils so it meets LL04.  Use anything.

I use Castrol as thats what it said on the oil filler cap of my E60.  "BMW recommends Castrol" so they suckered me in with their marketing.  You could buy Castrol cheap from anywhere and everywhere so thats why I picked that oil.

1 hour ago, oilman said:

Petronas is not the same as the Shell. The Petronas is blended in the UK under license by another brand.

Cheers,

Guy

I was thinking of Pennzoil :) 

Do you know who makes Tesco, halfords and Euro car parts stuff? 

Edited by Deviant

I used to know this... But I can't remember now. I will do some digging. Usually they are just made by one of the toll blenders to the lowest cost possible.

Teboil Diamond Diesel 5W-40 (API SN, SM/CF; ACEA C3; BMW LL-04; MB 229.51; VW 505.01/505.00; Ford M442C917-A; Quality level: ACEA A3/B4; Dexos 2)

62,90€ / 10 litres from local stores.

Kuvahaun tulos haulle teboil diamond diesel 10l hinta

4 hours ago, oilman said:

I used to know this... But I can't remember now. I will do some digging. Usually they are just made by one of the toll blenders to the lowest cost possible.

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

^Which makes me not want to use them. 

Tesco own brand oil, probably just very expensive vegetable oil.

Which is also why I avoid cheap ECP Triple QX oil that Dan speaks so highly of. I've used it in my car, and it did not like it. Hydraulic lifter noise was much worse on start-up, and the engine a little noisy when cold. Now that has gone using a better oil and it is back to how it should be. I don't proclaim that you need to pay huge money for the very best, far from it, but there is certainly a middle ground. If you buy at the right time and from the right place, you can do better than the likes of Triple QX for not much more money.

There is also a difference between an oil being claimed to meet LL01 or LL04 spec, and actually having been independently tested that indeed those claims are valid. 

Edited by Tuvoc

LL01 is from 19 years ago. The specs are similar, but I always use LL04.  Tesco and ECP etc is made to the same specs. It should be as good as anything else out there, premium oils excluded. LL04 says it's good enough for your then brand spanking new BMW.

This is where marketing and your own opinion kicks in because you feel a certain brand is better. I used Mobil 1 and wasn't impressed with a quieter engine or felt the engine was any better protected and never used it again. 

Edited by Deviant

As already said, oil, like tyres, is a personal preference

Ive never had any issues with the oil I’ve used and I’ll stick to using it :) I’m not penny pinching, far from it, but refuse to spend stupid amounts on oil when one less than half the price does the job superbly... 

Conversations like these can be very snake oil orientated at times and can really open up a can of worms.

All I’ll say is, do your own research and work to your budget/wallet conscience etc

15 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

I’m not penny pinching,

Some one from Preston that’s not penny pinching, pull the other one Dan! :lol:;) 

12 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

As already said, oil, like tyres, is a personal preference

Ive never had any issues with the oil I’ve used and I’ll stick to using it :) I’m not penny pinching, far from it, but refuse to spend stupid amounts on oil when one less than half the price does the job superbly... 

Conversations like these can be very snake oil orientated at times and can really open up a can of worms.

All I’ll say is, do your own research and work to your budget/wallet conscience etc

The stuff you're using is to spec and you're changing it often. Nothing wrong with that at all.  That being said, Tesco and Shell both sell petrol, both unleaded to 95 ron, Shell, however, add additives/detergents to their basic fuel, Tesco doesn't.  I'm sure the same applies to oil, some have more zinc/magic elixir etc 

2 hours ago, Deviant said:

LL01 is from 19 years ago. The specs are similar, but I always use LL04.  Tesco and ECP etc is made to the same specs. It should be as good as anything else out there, premium oils excluded. LL04 says it's good enough for your then brand spanking new BMW.

Well, in some countries I read that BMW say you have to use LL01 and not LL04 because of sulphur content in the fuel. So LL01 is not redundant if that is the case.

Also the Shell UK website recommends Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 for my car. It is LL01 oil and not LL04. But I think you guys need LL04 for your diesels.

And as I said, just because a budget oil says it is LL04, is it actually ?? Has it gone through the independent testing and been certified as compliant ? That testing costs money and has to be recouped in the price.

Edited by Tuvoc

3 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Well, in some countries I read that BMW say you have to use LL01 and not LL04 because of sulphur content in the fuel. So LL01 is not redundant if that is the case.

Also the Shell UK website recommends Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 for my car. It is LL01 oil and not LL04. But I think you guys need LL04 for your diesels.

And as I said, just because a budget oil says it is LL04, is it actually ?? Has it gone through the independent testing and been certified as compliant ? That testing costs money and has to be recouped in the price.

Yes, it has, they have to prove it's up to that spec.  "approved by BMW" costs a shedload more. Shell recommends that oil for my N52, but they recommend 3 or so different oils first. 

1 hour ago, Tuvoc said:

Sorry, but really have to laugh at this... Don’t believe all you read into... :lol: