Cadwell Parker

F11 530d M Sport Touring potential purchase

There seem to be far more M Sports around than SEs just now so I'm reconsidering my options, subject to test drive. As long as it has 18 inch wheels and the suspension is not rock hard I might compromise.

I've seen this car advertised on BMWAUC. It seems to be rather lacking in tasty options but is relatively low mileage so might make a sensible purchase from a reliability point of view and also be easier to sell on in three years with another 50000 miles on the clock.

What do you all reckon? If I could get it for £16000 with two years comprehensive warranty would that be a reasonably good deal?

CP

7 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

No Pro-nav and no cameras. This one wouldn’t be for me but everyone will have their can’t do without preferences.

The AUC warranty is only for 12 months 

I'd be trying to negotiate at least an extra year of AUC warranty. Not sure how likely they'd be to agree to that but no harm asking.

Agreed, that bmwauc car looks sparse on the extras front.   Imo this will hurt when it is time to sell.

A quick look through the adds and I have come across https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201810111402880?advertising-location=at_cars&price-from=500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&sort=price-asc&body-type=Estate&maximum-mileage=60000&postcode=tn223ht&make=BMW&radius=1500&model=5 SERIES&minimum-badge-engine-size=3.0&year-from=2010&page=1

Rev camara, pan roof, wide nav, lane assist from what I can see.     My reg to vin finder has been removed so I cannot find full specs of cars.   I would say there are a few more options on this car but the sellers unfortunately have not listed the options.

Options are not everything however, I would still prioritise on condition over an options list. 

While the bmwauc does not have the options list, it does look like a nice clean example.

Edited by Enzo503

I don't have Pro -nav nor cameras and manage not to to clip things or reverse into things.  

Like mine it has the electric 3AC towbar (which is a big plus for me) and its from the same original dealer as mine which means it was originally specced by a very tight Aberdonian which will explain the perceived lack of toys! 

18" 350 alloys will give a softer ride than the 19". 

Low miles for its age too and Sports box is a plus.

It does sound a lot for what is nearly a 7 year old car, get it down by £1000 to 1500 when you look at its trade in and then the AUC warranty plus a dealer mark up.  Some report managing to get 2 years AUC warranty.  I asked and got told no.

4 minutes ago, Enzo503 said:

Agreed, that bmwauc car looks sparse on the extras front.   Imo this will hurt when it is time to sell.

Folk say speccing a car without certain toys, such as nav, will hurt its resale value.  Playing on we buy any car with the reg of the first tourer, makes no difference to its price if you tick yes or no to sat nav being in the car which at that age was a cost plus option.

13 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Folk say speccing a car without certain toys, such as nav, will hurt its resale value.  Playing on we buy any car with the reg of the first tourer, makes no difference to its price if you tick yes or no to sat nav being in the car which at that age was a cost plus option.

a base model when new could be purchased for 40k  A fully ticked options list car could cost upwards of 80k.    Would that not have an effect on second hand resale values?

Edited by Enzo503

22 minutes ago, Enzo503 said:

A quick look through the adds and I have come across https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201810111402880?advertising-location=at_cars&price-from=500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&sort=price-asc&body-type=Estate&maximum-mileage=60000&postcode=tn223ht&make=BMW&radius=1500&model=5 SERIES&minimum-badge-engine-size=3.0&year-from=2010&page=1

Rev camara, pan roof, wide nav, lane assist from what I can see.     My reg to vin finder has been removed so I cannot find full specs of cars.   I would say there are a few more options on this car but the sellers unfortunately have not listed the options.

Options are not everything however, I would still prioritise a nice clean car over an options list. 

While the bmwauc does not have the options list, it does look like a nice clean example.

That does look like a good car yes but I'm set on having the 258bhp motor.

I agree options aren't everything. Much better to have a car you know has been treated well. Trouble with used cars is that can be difficult to ascertain. Take your point re resale as well but I guess everyone is looking for their own unique ideal car.

My car 530d was sold on without even listing the HK, comfort seats and fold down rears. Would all be decision points for me when buying but you see very little back in the way of price - pan roof is seen as a potential liability by the used market as costs to fix can be large. 

26 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

I don't have Pro -nav nor cameras and manage not to to clip things or reverse into things. 

Lol, me too. I did get to drive a hire car with reversing cameras a while ago and can see them coming in useful but being a professional driver I think they're one option I can manage without :-)

Low miles for its age too and Sports box is a plus.

I was told by a dealer yesterday that the only difference between the standard auto 'box and the sports option is the paddles on the steering wheel. Is that right?

It does sound a lot for what is nearly a 7 year old car, get it down by £1000 to 1500 when you look at its trade in and then the AUC warranty plus a dealer mark up.  Some report managing to get 2 years AUC warranty.  I asked and got told no.

I thought it sounded a bit much, especially as it's not quite what I really want and in the end things are only worth what people a willing to pay. I'll keep this one in mind and might travel down to see it in a week or so but there will be some negotiating to be done.

Nice looking car. If its been owned by a caravanner, it will have been cleaned and polished every weekend no doubt. I like the interior wood and leather combo. 

Reversing camera - hardly use it but the front wheel arch cameras really useful in a car with such a long nose. 

Pro nav - nice but could live without. 

Wheels - I'm on 19" non rft and find them OK. 

Tow bar - don't have one which makes towing my trailer a little awkward! 

Mileage would be important to me + a decent warranty. 

1 hour ago, Caesar said:

Nice looking car. If its been owned by a caravanner, it will have been cleaned and polished every weekend no doubt. 

True, you have just described my dad! :D

Or 

1 hour ago, Caesar said:

Nice looking car. If its been owned by a caravanner, it will have been

over worked with a worn out autobox and shagged rear suspension.

But the added advantage of the factory fit towbar is you get a fan upgrade to keep things cool under the bonnet.

1 hour ago, Enzo503 said:

a base model when new could be purchased for 40k  A fully ticked options list car could cost upwards of 80k.    Would that not have an effect on second hand resale values?

You are correct but they add very little to second hand values, it just means its 

1 hour ago, nashdm2 said:

easier to sell as it would be more desirable.

I got a set of winter wheels with mine (made it more desirable for me) which would have been circa £2k new, but added no increase on the price I paid.

Options are all very subjective.

Decide what options you must have against those that are nice to have. It's the difference between needs and wants. 

When I was looking for my F11, my must-haves included auto transmission, widescreen nav, a power bootlid and non-SE seats. I ended up with an auto, the small nav (the only compromise), power bootlid, comfort seats, pan roof and variable damping. The small nav still gives me bluetooth streaming, album art on the usb connector, and surprisingly decent mapping (2018-2 Move maps installed).

7 months into ownership, and this would be my wishlist:

Must haves:

Auto gearbox, comfort seats, power bootlid

Nice to have:

Wide nav, reverse/surround cameras, pan roof, paddle shifters

Not bothered:

Variable damping, M Sport spec, 19in wheels, 6WA (half digital) or 6WB (full digital) instrument panels

There are so many permutations & combinations of options that you may well have to compromise on something. As said above, it's all subjective.

39 minutes ago, Caesar said:

Surprised vdc is on your not bothered list. One of the options my car doesn't have and always thought would be good to have. Is it overated? 

In my opinion, it is. I don't put the car in Sport/Sport+ often enough to make advantage of it, leaving it instead in Comfort/Comfort+ or EcoPro. It is not an option I would personally miss.

3 hours ago, SuperDave said:

My car 530d was sold on without even listing the HK, comfort seats and fold down rears. Would all be decision points for me when buying but you see very little back in the way of price - pan roof is seen as a potential liability by the used market as costs to fix can be large. 

Quite. Options only add value if they're seens as desirable by the person buying the car. SuperDave's comment struck a chord with me. All else being equal I'd pay more for a car without panroof.

11 minutes ago, BFleming said:

In my opinion, it is. I don't put the car in Sport/Sport+ often enough to make advantage of it, leaving it instead in Comfort/Comfort+ or EcoPro. It is not an option I would personally miss.

Yes that is interesting. VDC is on of the options I think I really want. I'm not totally sure though and need to drive cars with and without it to know for sure. One thing for sure is I don't want to have to pay for a new set of variable dampers if they go wrong.

BFleming, have you driven a non VDC 530d? Is there a big difference?

2 minutes ago, Mike530i said:

An AUC car with Landsail tyres? Are they BMW approved....?

They wouldn't be my choice. Something else to factor in to any negotiations.

Views very mixed on vdc but my 18" se f10 on vdc was always planted in a way my f10:sport on 18s wasnt until i changed to non - runflats. 

The g31 msport on 19" runflats beats them both however, no vdc. 

Edited by SuperDave

1 hour ago, Mike530i said:

An AUC car with Landsail tyres? Are they BMW approved....?

BMW will sell a car as AUC with whatever tyres it comes in with so long as they are in legal condition. If, however, the tyres need changing before sale, BMW will replace them with star marked tyres. 

Edited by Matthew Ashton

Mine was sold AUC with non * marked tyre, cheap crappy budgets too! But they were legal so that's all that matters.

My only requirements in a car is petrol and as many cylinders as possible, preferably more cylinders than gears! Anything else is a bonus as far as I'm concerned.