falcodub

Beige interior. Convince me!

Evening all

Seen a nice E39 touring for sale in topaz blue. But it's got a lot of beige going on inside. 

Always been a fan of black leather and carpets. 

Grey looks drab. 

Beige. I really don't know if I like it. Sounds odd but not sure I've ever seen one in the flesh. 

Marmite colour or a sign of me approaching 50!!??

The car otherwise is tidy. Hmmm

I had a 530i Sport Tourer in Topaz Blue with the beige interior and although at first it looked well,it doesn,t take long for it to get grubby,i only drove it at weekends and the dye off my jeans soon started to colour the drivers seat,

Some interiors have the black dash and door tops which breaks the beige up a bit but mine was all beige and it soon started to annoy me on what was otherwise an excellent car.

Beige/ cream is fine on the right colour car. (Black, darker blues and greens or a metallic burgundy) not so clever on silver or paler shades though kinda liked it on my 523i with the pale green metallic (name escapes me!)

if the the car is good it wouldn't put me off if the exterior is right. 

Try it it you might like it!

1 hour ago, falcodub said:

Evening all

Seen a nice E39 touring for sale in topaz blue. But it's got a lot of beige going on inside. 

Always been a fan of black leather and carpets. 

Grey looks drab. 

Beige. I really don't know if I like it. Sounds odd but not sure I've ever seen one in the flesh. 

Marmite colour or a sign of me approaching 50!!??

The car otherwise is tidy. Hmmm

Look at my previous E39 project and you'll see a lot og beige interior, but also how bad the leather can get, more so if you wear a lot of dark clothes/denim!

Personally I liked it, looks really well when all cleaned up, but can soon get grubby! 

Hmm. I generally wear black jeans when not working. Have three kids also but they wouldn't spend much time in it, only for longer trips etc. 

Dyeing it is an option. 

I think it's the beige that stops it being bought by others as it's had a lot of work done and seems a decent example...

Just that beige!!

Apologies for the photos. 

That's a lot of beige 

Apologies also as this should probably be in general

Edited by falcodub

It's a nice looking touring, I personally think it's just the top of the dash and the door cards that is wrong, a little bit of hearing aid brown.

I think the black and cream would have gone well together

Looks identical to my old 52 reg,only mine had darker tint rear windows.

I would try and source some doorcards with black tops, change the dash top for a black one and put a black carpet in. Leave the rest beige, all black is too dark and depressing. 

59 minutes ago, Paddy O'Furniture said:

all black is too dark and depressing. 

I do agree, and it gets stinking hot in the summer. Sure 'pensioner beige' is prone to getting grubby, but IMO that's a price that's worth paying for the sense of the cabin feeling light and airy. 

Hearing aid beige :lol: I never heard the end of it but TBH; I liked it. Very easy to keep clean and it brightened up the car inside on darks days etc

My Slate Green 530i was black on black; I didn't mind it. The ali trim broke it up etc

I agree though, black carpet (if you can get it), dyed door cards and maybe flock the dash; it'd look spot on ;) 

my E39 was all beige, dash top, doorcards, carpet, the whole lot.

Picture-068.jpg

I sourced some all black doorcards and swapped the inner panels over, fitted black panels to the seat backs and changed all the seat plastics, changed the dash top and bottom for a black one and fitted a black carpet and all the associated interior plastics and trims.

looked like this when I'd finished.

1-231.jpg

1-233.jpg

1-238.jpg

1-232.jpg

Edited by Paddy O'Furniture

That looks great with the black carpet etc Paddy.  That's a bit like what I did with the M535i, black carpets trims and dash with light seats.  I like the contrast :) Not sure I would have gone beige if it was my daily driver though !

20180419_174216.jpg

20180419_174238.jpg

Topaz with Beige should look nice if it's in decent condition.

If a beige interior puts you off you have answered your own question yes it will put others, and myself off when you come to sell it. No, not too keen on beige, looks ok in a Jaguar or Rover, but BMW, Merc, Audi, don't suit IMHO.

Edited by Steve van hool

Liking the look of the contrast paddy. 

The car as a whole is good. Mechanically and cosmetically it's tidy and the choices out there are limited. 

But. I think I will pass and wait for the sterling grey one I would really like 

Or the red one! 

^^^^^^

Agree, I think that Paddy's work to 'black it up' somewhat from all beige looks great. I'd certainly consider buying with that combination.

But all beige, no, never.

My car had a beige interior with wood trim albeit with the black dash and door tops and I really wasn't sure on it when I bought it having always had cars with dark interiors, it did grow on me but it was still a bit too beige so I got hold of a black lower dash, center console and mats, an aluminium trim set and 'two toned' a set of black door cards. I don't have any before pics but it now looks like this; 

001.JPG

004.JPG

3 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

That looks really well @NWJW ; are the door cards a different colour though or is it just the light?

The door cards are indeed a slightly different shade. As the leather inserts on the rear door cards are a bugger to remove I dyed them in situ but when the dye dried out it wasn't a good match. I've since managed to remove the inserts from the original door cards and plan on fitting them when I've got a spare day or two as the mis-match gets my OCD going!