The Flying Banana

Buying an X5 - any advice if you own/ owned one?

I am thinking of buying an X5 ( budget up to £5000)… need an estate type 4x4 auto for a couple of trips to Holland and up north over next few months

Anyone got experience of one , how do they fair body wise ( do they rot like E39s ? ) , engine gearbox wise I am OK , but have I read they suffer rear suspension issues or are they much the same again as an E39 .. air bags etc are OK as they are an easy fix if any issues but arm, bushes , etc .. any info

Finally engines .. I have 530D E39 .. it goes great but is that because it’s a manual .. do auto 3.0ds perform OK

Not adverse to petrol variants tho even if it’s a 4.4 or 4.6 ( not sure a 4.6 would be in that rice bracket tho .. not checked that )

Any info appreciated

No personal experience on this one Scott, but I have read on several occasions that these can have trouble with front diffs.  Worth a Google anyway!

^^^ As above

I test drove a few before I bought my 730D

My advice would be get the 4.4 or 4.6 V8; the 3.0 petrol is far too small, the 3.0D is ok, but still lacked grunt IMO

Shares a LOT of E39 running gear and interior, so check for wear & tear and corrosion too

Tyres are chewed readily also!

I got one as a courtesy car when my first E60 broke down in 2008 (so whatever Emodel that was on a 57 plate) and was helped by BMW Emergency Assist.

I loved driving it, it was a 3.0d. It was in January and I felt the 4x4 system kick in when pushing it on icy roads. I did think it was a bit thirsty for a Diesel and that was me coming from a sub 29 mpg average E60!

Mechanically the 3.0d autos are no worse than any 530d auto as its all the same stuff. Can't comment on the additional 4x4 transmission systems.

Would I buy one though?  it's a lovely thing to drive for a 4x4 and would be capable enough of hauling/lugging stuff on rough roads.  If I were you I would buy a load lugging estate, it will be longer to get more stuff in I would think and less thirsty and have better road manners. 

Obviously that all goes out the window if you get the chance to buy a V8 X5. Just don't expect to pass many petrol stations.......

A mate has one (4.6 sport i think) and find's running it expensive, check out the price of replacement tyres for example...

Other than that feedback is it's a very capable all rounder

I ran an E53 3.0d for a while, and really liked it. If you go for a diesel (and I think I would) then definitely get it mapped - feels much, much better after.

It really does feel a lot like an E39 IMO, but with the advantage of sitting up high and having 4WD.

They do suffer with diff issues, but a used replacement isn't too expensive.

I replaced mine with an E70 3.0d, which although slightly nicer inside I liked less overall.

I'd have another E53. 

Oh, and mine didn't have the pano roof - I heard too many expensive tales of failures so avoided that. I also swapped in a Nappa interior from a higher-spec model, which had lumbar support - I suffer in certain car seats over long distances, and this solved that for me.

I had a 2004 4.4 Sport and I loved it.  Only sold it due to needing a seven seater, as said they drive very much like a raised E39, fuel consumption was around 19mpg if you drove like the clergy but it was a superb mile muncher.

P1140496.JPG

7 hours ago, Splondike said:

I had a 2004 4.4 Sport and I loved it.  Only sold it due to needing a seven seater, as said they drive very much like a raised E39, fuel consumption was around 19mpg if you drove like the clergy but it was a superb mile muncher.

P1140496.JPG

"19mpg if you drove like the clergy"...

My 4.6 E39 will do over 40 mpg if you drive like the clergy so quite a difference,  and an E39 on winter tyres will easily outdrive any X5 on summer tyres. The only distinct advantages I can see are driving position and towing weights so if that's what are important then get an X5.

Edited by sharkfan

I just did a lengthy journey and at a cruise controlled 54mph for over 15 miles she did 39.7 mpg so I suspect a clergy-acceptable rate of 45-50mph it will easily pop up over 40mpg.

Edit to add; the Alpina Switch-Tronic gearbox does have a lock-up in ever gear so acts more like a manual than the standard BMW autobox.

2nd edit; I think there may be a wall/limit at the 39mpg point as despite driving as carefully as possible today over a good length and at a variety of optimal speeds between 45 and high 50's mph I was unable to get a reading over the 39.7mpg. A steady 70mph (sat-nav checked) produced a steady 32.8mpg though.

Edited by sharkfan