BettySwollocks

Twin Exhausts

They will both work / emit once the engine is warm and you are motoring......

My 540i stains more on the right than the left.....

There is a flap in the one side that only opens under certain conditions (temp, load and probably a million other things they have programmed into the system). When cruising in comfort mode, its definitely closed. Under WOT in sport mode, its definitely open. In between that, I'm not sure when its open and when its closed TBH.

P.S Shame on you for thinking BMW would use a fake exhaust. You did not buy a Mercedes Sir! :D

Edited by mobilejo

10 hours ago, mobilejo said:

There is a flap in the one side that only opens under certain conditions (temp, load and probably a million other things they have programmed into the system). When cruising in comfort mode, its definitely closed. Under WOT in sport mode, its definitely open. In between that, I'm not sure when its open and when its closed TBH.

P.S Shame on you for thinking BMW would use a fake exhaust. You did not buy a Mercedes Sir! :D

Not fake, but wholly unnecessary. Not sure why they stopped at two, quad pipes would have looked better.

17 hours ago, mobilejo said:

Sadly I did and when you spend nearly 80K on a car you expect the exhaust to be connected to the outlets!  Or even be in line.

One of the many irritations and hence why I am in a BMW :)

8 hours ago, Johnyboy said:

Not fake, but wholly unnecessary. Not sure why they stopped at two, quad pipes would have looked better.

if they had quad pipes for a 2 litre engine, then atleast two of them would be blanked off or partially closed

Exhaust tuning is a tricky thing, more of an art than a science. Maintaining gas velocity is important . If you open it up too much when its not needed then it could cause loss of power. Thats like what mobilejo was saying about the flaps, its a controlled system 

All this will be quaint when we are all driving BEVs ;)

3 hours ago, Carrera77 said:

if they had quad pipes for a 2 litre engine, then atleast two of them would be blanked off or partially closed

Exhaust tuning is a tricky thing, more of an art than a science. Maintaining gas velocity is important . If you open it up too much when its not needed then it could cause loss of power. Thats like what mobilejo was saying about the flaps, its a controlled system 

All this will be quaint when we are all driving BEVs ;)

Not exactly what I meant. Rather like having stupidly big wheels, twin tailpipes are only on these cars for aesthetics.

On 29/12/2018 at 23:32, Johnyboy said:

Not exactly what I meant. Rather like having stupidly big wheels, twin tailpipes are only on these cars for aesthetics.

I'm no exhaust expert, but 6 cyl BMWs (and most other makes) have always had 2 pipes - whether they are next to each other or opposite ends of the bumper seems to be the only change so I would say its not unnecessary on my car. I doubt the 4 cyl cars need 2 pipes, but I suspect it keeps costs down to have one design for all cars.

7 hours ago, mobilejo said:

I'm no exhaust expert, but 6 cyl BMWs (and most other makes) have always had 2 pipes - whether they are next to each other or opposite ends of the bumper seems to be the only change so I would say its not unnecessary on my car. I doubt the 4 cyl cars need 2 pipes, but I suspect it keeps costs down to have one design for all cars.

They really don't need them, it's only a 340PS engine, that's really not all that much air to move.

As I say - no expert - but pretty much everything with 250bhp or above seems to have had 2 pipes for as far back as i can remember - the reason for this i will defer to those who design the things but my point being that BMW have done nothing unusual with the G30 design.

20 years ago there were plenty of 300+ hp cars with single pipes, I haven’t looked under mine but there’ll only be a single pipe leading from the cat to the back box.

id agree that it’s not unusual, it’s just not for performance.

Edited by Johnyboy

On 29/12/2018 at 23:32, Johnyboy said:

I must admit some of us like aesthetics (that are not functional) . A car that I do not admire its exterior appearance would not last long with me. 

38 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

Sat behind a 540i g30 this morning for five minutes in traffic, disappointing to see only the nearside doing any exhausting at all! 

If he was pootling in traffic the flap on the right would stay closed. 

On ‎04‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 17:00, Babaikram said:

I must admit some of us like aesthetics (that are not functional) . A car that I do not admire its exterior appearance would not last long with me. 

I'm old enough to remember an exhaust pipe being a functional piece of kit, not an object of desire  :(:ph34r:

4 minutes ago, Carrera77 said:

I'm old enough to remember an exhaust pipe being a functional piece of kit, not an object of desire  :(:ph34r:

If I did not already have enough reasons to not want a Merc or Audi, the non-functional exhausts finishers they are using now would tip me over that edge.

I have no issue with 'unnecessary' items which actually do perform the designed function, BMW live in this area sometimes, but I don't think they have gone down the route of fitting things that are simply 'fake'... yet.

33 minutes ago, Carrman2018 said:

Am I the only one that prefers the round SE exhausts to the rectangular M-sport ones?

I'm sort of with you - I often think te M sport tips look odd; round looks more natural to me, but i'm not sure if it looks any better. When I had my F10 535d, I didn't like the exhausts being round on that. Now I have rectangular, I'm still not convinced. There's no pleasing me. I do like the meatier M550i tips though.

3 hours ago, mobilejo said:

If I did not already have enough reasons to not want a Merc or Audi, the non-functional exhausts finishers they are using now would tip me over that edge.

Why they directing the exhaust flow downwards ?  There must be reasons for it 

17 hours ago, Carrera77 said:

To try and convince people they are zero emissions (well the software cheat didn't work so may as well give it a try :P)!!

On 09/01/2019 at 21:31, Carrera77 said:

On pre-dpf  cars that used to be done to hide the puffs of smoke that you’d see during transients.