Samuel

Faulty infotainment system

Hello there, I'm new to the forum and am looking for some help. 

I have a lovely 2014 5 series tourer but it has developed a fault on the infotainment system. The whole system will shut off and restart randomly. It doesn't seem to matter what I'm using (i.e. phone, sat nav, radio, usb device) or what the external temperature is etc.

I've taken it into my local Llyolds BMW garage and have had the software updated but to no avail. I've been told that I'd need to buy a whole new system at a cost of £1,200 which seems very high. 

I'm wondering if this is a common fault and whether there is anything I can do to fix this myself. 

Kind regards, Sam

Mine was doing the same, also 2014, BMW replaced it as it was under warranty. Really not sure if there is anything you can do. Must be lots of units available at breakers, but it will need to be coded to your car.

Could it be worth getting the plug checked for the power or dry joint ? nothing to loose, deal with a alot of electronics usually a connector or dry joint causes something  along those lines.

Am a little worried, myn has done it once since i have owned it could become worse..

Mine did this once immediately after I drove a bit too forcefully through a deeper than expected puddle - one of those ones where you get feedback through the steering wheel. Anyway, as unscientific as it sounds, I remain convinced that a wire pertinent to the infotainment system was in an exposed area and was interfered with in some way either from the force of, or exposure to, a high volume of water. 

Hello guys, thanks for the responses. The unit will cut out randomly from perhaps no times in an hour's journey to 5 or 6 times. It's really annoying. I'll get the electrical connectors checked out as well as the fuse. Unfortunately, I don't think it's under warranty.

Hmm, I'm wondering whether it would make sense to upgrade to the professional system over the standard infotainment system. Does anyone know the cost of this as opposed to just swapping out the old faulty head unit?

Mine does this periodically. It is the Pro unit and every now and then the volume control from the steering wheel stops working usually followed but the scroll function for tracks/stations on the right of the steering wheel then the head unit shits down and re-starts with the pretty BMW connected logo. 

Can go weeks without it happening and then it can happen twice in a day. Am trying to spot a pattern but to no avail thus far. 

My old E61 head unit used to do this. Dry solder joints. As it was an older car I got it re soldered for about £150 and was good as gold after that.