Jump to content
Bickers1972

Which Dashcam do you use?

Recommended Posts

What's everyone using and what would you recommend? I've been looking at the Blackvue DR750s as I like the simplicity of its design and discrete fitting/siting on the screen but have read mixed reviews. Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hurly_Dog said:

I've had a BlackVue DR650S 2 channel for about three years and it has been faultless. In previous vehicles I have used a power magic type device, but have had to use an external power supply in the 5. Highly recommend the BlackVue.

Thanks @Hurly_Dog Was there a reason why you couldn't use the power magic device in your 5er?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The voltage monitoring kept giving errors on the I-drive as the parking mode was draining the battery (although very minimal). The power magic was set to cut off supply at 12.8v. Never had a problem starting the car. With the Cellink Neo fitted the errors have disappeared and I get around 36 hours of parking mode before the battery has depleted. I didn't want to run the risk of not being able to open the car with the display key, which is usually the only key I use and therefore no key blade is carried for emergency use...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had cheapo ones from ebay in the past which have worked OK even with a rear set up. However, when I came to want to extract the images from the sd card it was nigh on impossible. Got my eye on a Nextbase 512GW which has wifi and sends footage to your phone and supports a rear cam. My car has the ibs disconnected, would I still be able to use parking mode?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey if any of you are good with a bit soldering then I recommend making this , had one on my e61 and about to make another for my f11 saves about £100+ over the celllink or black Vue battery pack and far more useful imo

 

http://blog.nagimov.com/uninterruptible-5v-usb-power-supply/

 

maybe will post how how to guide when get in Xmas hols and get chance to make a new one up 

Edited by Mobileman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chris Margetts said:

I've the BMW Advanced eye 2. Works well enough and looks OEM. Pricey however - I think mine was 450 fully fitted. You get front and back to a 32gb card. Has parking modes and crash sensors probably like all of them.

Wow what a rip off. What’s the video/audio quality like?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use an Anker Roav - the 1080p one. Served me well so far. Before that I had a Transcend DrivePro but the SD card reader in that stopped working.

 

The Roav hasn't missed a beat so far. Only single channel but still has crash/parking features as you would expect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had a Garmin Dashcam 35 for a couple of years  1920x1080 resolution though I'd say that the optics don't make the most of this though the results day and night are still quite good. Front facing only, maximum 64Gb card. It's a bit irritating to need to remove either the camera or at least the card to copy videos but after first few drives I find you hardly ever want to, it's there 'just in case'. Seems totally reliable. GPS and speed monitoring work well but I don't record the speed on the video in case it's ever embarrassing ^_^ .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have one of these albeit it has now been replaced with a newer model. Cost me around £70 last year and its been faultless tbh. I have a 32gb card in there and hard wired using a next base kit so all in was around £100. 

 

The image quality is very good from front camera, number plates easily readable, rear camera less so as its only 720p but still ok. Night picture quality also good. Only issue i had is the sticky pads that go on the windows are white and therefore visible but that's a tiny issue. 

 

https://www.amazon.ca/Recorder-Recording-Detection-G-Sensor-External/product-reviews/B01N4EAPOQ/ref=dpx_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

 

Knock on wood I've not had to use it yet, but I have had some close calls. I have also recorded two accidents which i did witness, one of which was a hit and run. I caught the plate and gave the footage to the poor lady, so it has paid itself off with a good deed many times over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't gotten around to getting one for this car,  but the rear camera should be able to read registration plates. Thats in case somebody rear ends you . If its a motor way pileup and your car explodes, well thats another story

 

Anybody have an micro SD Card fail? I had this happen in the past but assume they are more durable today.  Also the bigger the better as the write cycles have a bigger memory to address

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Carrera77 said:

Haven't gotten around to getting one for this car,  but the rear camera should be able to read registration plates. Thats in case somebody rear ends you . If its a motor way pileup and your car explodes, well thats another story

 

Anybody have an micro SD Card fail? I had this happen in the past but assume they are more durable today.  Also the bigger the better as the write cycles have a bigger memory to address

 

 

Most SD card problems stem from fake cards. Scammers sell the '64gb' cards, but they are actually as little as 512MB - but windows and all devices will see them as 64GB. h2testw will write to each part of the sd card repeatedly - to ensure that it can actually hold 64GB as advertised.

 

No matter where you source your card from, run h2testw on it in order to check it is actually what you paid for. Do this within 14 days and you're onto a winner, if it's faulty send it back.

 

Even Amazon get fake stock and they are pretty hard to tell apart - no fakes can pass the h2testw testing so far as I know.

 

Other than that, reliability of SD cards should be pretty good these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went with the Blackvue DR590W, with the OBD power cable, rather than hard wired, or the 12V socket connection.  Simple and discrete installation, perfect HD picture and set up via wireless connection to mobile phone.  Much research on the multitude of dash cams, with this version having excellent operating temperature tolerances, the option to mute the microphone and more importantly no GPS (separate antenna available though), so no self-incrimination, if involved in an incident.  The £20 OBD cable connection being very simple, with a switch which enables either parking mode (automatically disabled, following pre-set voltage drop), or switch off completely after 5 or so minutes.  Leave mine permanently in parking mode, no battery issues.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/12/2018 at 13:45, Mark791 said:

I went with the Blackvue DR590W, with the OBD power cable, rather than hard wired, or the 12V socket connection.  Simple and discrete installation, perfect HD picture and set up via wireless connection to mobile phone.  Much research on the multitude of dash cams, with this version having excellent operating temperature tolerances, the option to mute the microphone and more importantly no GPS (separate antenna available though), so no self-incrimination, if involved in an incident.  The £20 OBD cable connection being very simple, with a switch which enables either parking mode (automatically disabled, following pre-set voltage drop), or switch off completely after 5 or so minutes.  Leave mine permanently in parking mode, no battery issues.  

 

That's good to hear. Is it the Conecta OBD cable that you're using?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cracking price match on at halfrauds of all places to do picked up the BlackVue 750s 2 channel £259 which for walking in off the street and not ordering online was good deal 

 

now for fun part build a switching battery circuit like guide I posted and then should be good to go , interim it’s goifn in the ciggy charger tmrw to get best positioning etc

1C929BB8-B391-46A5-B8D8-3E756B74C65E.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be interesting to know if the obd adaptor works well - my g31 refuses to lock with the alarm going off if Carly or enet cable is left active in the socket. 

 

The blackvue looks good - down to £216 at Halfords in the sale and bupa members can get a 10% off voucher. Makes it a quite a good price. 

Edited by SuperDave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SuperDave said:

Be interesting to know if the obd adaptor works well - my g31 refuses to lock with the alarm going off if Carly or enet cable is left active in the socket. 

 

The blackvue looks good - down to £216 at Halfords in the sale and bupa members can get a 10% off voucher. Makes it a quite a good price. 

 

Halfords state that it's £259 and that's in the sale. Was that £216 price at your local Halfords or have you seen it listed somewhere?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Mobileman said:

Cracking price match on at halfrauds of all places to do picked up the BlackVue 750s 2 channel £259 which for walking in off the street and not ordering online was good deal 

 

now for fun part build a switching battery circuit like guide I posted and then should be good to go , interim it’s goifn in the ciggy charger tmrw to get best positioning etc

1C929BB8-B391-46A5-B8D8-3E756B74C65E.jpeg

If you use DAB radio a lot, might be worth doing some research as to the best routing for the cable going to the rear. I've read reports about DAB interference (apparently the blackvue cabling doesn't have the best shielding). Ferrite beads might help as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×