Killen

Any Experience of LED or CREE Bulbs for E60

8 minutes ago, Reece87 said:

Really tempted by this after giving mine a good rub down. Do you not need the rubber covers then?I t

Also just to check are yours the pre-lci halogens?

The rubber covers aren't needed and won't fit anyway. Mine are pre-lci halogens 

The light output looks promising, but I need to drive it later.  You will need the following:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D8RCW2H Halo bulbs

2 sets https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07JR8K3XV/ H7 LEDs

2 sets https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GMSFNKB/

some grease (I used brake grease)

Magnetic pickup tool

T20 Torx, M8 socket 

You'll need to remove the headlights from the car. BMW recommends you loosen the bumper to do this, but you can wiggle them out by removing the inner lamp cover.  Two Torx screws on the slam panel, two m8 screws on slide brackets in the wing. (just loosen them, don't remove those)

Remove the two screws of each base holder from each bowl and pull them out. Take off the halogen bulb and remove the base holder from the wiring. 

Remove the adaptor ring from your H7LEDs and apply a little grease to it. You'll struggle otherwise. Put your new base holder onto the LED and put the adaptor ring back on. Put the LED into the Lamp Bowl and apply a little grease to the Torx screw heads that hold it in. This will stop the screws falling into the lamp and stick to your Torx bit/driver. You'll need the pickup tool to get them out. Ask me how I know. Repeat for the high beam and the other lamp.  The plug for the H7s have positive and minus on them, match the brown wires with the negative. 

Halos/sidelight just pull the bulb wiring out and replace.  Replug both connectors and test it all works before replacing the units.  The H7s should be fine, but the halo bulbs might need reversing. Just pull them back out and turn them over. 

Job done B)

This is how your new base holders attach to the H7s for info

K8601DD.jpg

Edited by Deviant

Just been out for a drive and they're awesome B)  The car looks bang up to date and the light output is fantastic.  A couple of points though,  You might be able to use the original metal base holders and save yourself £16. 

They are slightly different though to the new ones, so I didn't bother trying them.  Secondly, you do get that flicker at startup, so might want to consider anti flicker capacitors or something. It doesn't bother me tbh.

Here's how the H7s sit in the bowl and the second image is of my halos in the dark :)

QGPq0J4.jpg

IOu0ZlP.jpg

13 minutes ago, Deviant said:

Just been out for a drive and they're awesome B)  The car looks bang up to date and the light output is fantastic.  A couple of points though,  You might be able to use the original metal base holders and save yourself £16. 

They are slightly different though to the new ones, so I didn't bother trying them.  Secondly, you do get that flicker at startup, so might want to consider anti flicker capacitors or something. It doesn't bother me tbh.

Here's how the H7s sit in the bowl and the second image is of my halos in the dark :)

QGPq0J4.jpg

IOu0ZlP.jpg

These look very good. You don't say how you got the clips on the LED bulbs. Do they split or have you to take the bulb apart.

Regarding the flickering of the LEDs at start up; this can be coded out. I have had this done with side lights and fog lights when I fitted LEDs.

Your headlights are the pre LCI ones which my 2006 car should have. The previous owner changed them to LCI units which look good but have projectors for the dipped headlight. I have just fitted 55W HIDs and Ballasts to mine and they are a little better than the 35W ones, but still nothing like good enough for driving at night on narrow B roads when everything coming the other way blinds you. Will probably try the LEDs but I am now more than ever sure that my problem is that the Projectors are not clear. They seem slightly opaque and I think mask the full glow of the bulb.

When I took the headlight out, it would appear there is no access to the light internals at the back, so if it is possible to clean the lenses, then the front clear lens must be removed and that looks formidable.

I wouldn't try taking the headlight apart.  To put the metal clips (base holder) on,  you unscrew the black ring and push the metal base on and screw that back ring back on. You insert the bulb and the base holder gets held down by screws. 

K8601DD.jpg&key=00b9db3946e2aa375d683001

Sorry to bring up an oldish thread. But I've recently installed white LED bulbs for the halos on my LCI E60 and want HIDs/LED headlight bulbs to match. Just wondering if anyone has fitted the above LED kit into an LCI headlight with projectors and if it's an easy a job as it is in the pre-LCI E60?

Cheers.

I've fitted 55w How's in my LCI E60 and they fit no problem. There is info on here to modify the lamp access covers to pass cables out to the required HDI Ballasts.

My 55w units are marginally brighter than standard 35w units. I have bought the LED units also as described in these posts but not got round to fitting them. As far as I can see, it would be easier to fit LEDs as all cables stay within the lamp unit. IE no remote ballasts.

My only warning is that not all HID kits out there work with the Can bus system, even if they say they are suitable.

I've had kits that flicker and one where the light would just not illuminate.

I expect the Less to work and hope they will be a little bit brighter than my HIDs but can't yet say if any problems with Can bus error warnings.