homesie

Service Advice

Hi all, new member here...

I have a E39 Champagne Edition for a few years which has been very reliable and the car has only had the standard servicing, initially at main dealers until i purchased it and have used independents since.

As the car is a 2002 modell is there anything you recommend i have checked or replaced on either suspension or engine?

Fuel filter!  Dealers rarely change them as they are out of site and only accessible if you jack the car up and remove the splash covers and as the car gets older the fixings perish so they don’t want to charge you for replacing them! 

Regards suspension anything rubber will be perished or perishing. Amazed how nothing has been replaced in 16 years. Even low mileage there is likely to be perishing on the ball joints

56 minutes ago, homesie said:

Hi all, new member here...

I have a E39 Champagne Edition for a few years which has been very reliable and the car has only had the standard servicing, initially at main dealers until i purchased it and have used independents since.

As the car is a 2002 modell is there anything you recommend i have checked or replaced on either suspension or engine?

Everything really needs to be looked over, well and parts replaced where necessary

Do you know how the cooling system has been maintained; these are chocolate based at the best of times, so things like the water pump, stat, top/bottom hoses and rad need to be checked over and replace, ideally, as parts will start to fail... The parts really aren't that expensive, so worth doing IMO for peace of mind

How about the suspension, mainly arms and bushes/drop-links etc?

As already mentioned; the fuel filter could do to be changed, the Meyle ones are c£3o and worth getting it sorted. Easy access under the NS sill cover etc. Pollen filters under the bonnet are worth doing too, again, not expensive at all. Crossland carbon activated ones are c£25 IIRC. Air filter, IMO, swap out OEM for a K&N and it'll never need to be changed again

What condition are the brake discs, pads and lines in?

There is all sorts to be taken into consideration; but start with the simple basics first and work from there :) 

As well as all that, I'd get the car checked for rust. Some E39s are really suffering now. If there is any, catching it earlier rather than later is far better.