Sign in to follow this  
chemicalal

Air Filter Housing 1982 E28 528i

Hi Guys, my air filter box has a small black box inside the roof of the top half (if that makes sense) - There is a bit of a rattle from it and I was wondering what this casing houses and its primary purpose?

Any ideas?

Al

My aussie mechanic said something about it doing some sort of air recirculation thing and wanted me to spend $700 to replace the cells - Is this guy full of utter poo? I've never heard of this in all my time with E28's

Australian 528i's had complex EGR (Exhaust Gas Re-circulation) other emissions equipment, such as fuel tank vapour capture and recirculation that European cars didnt have, so its quite probable that this piece of kit you mention is related. Whether you need it now, I couldn't say. That would be down to your annual emissions testing regime.

What other types of E28 have you dealt with? Surely one of them was a 528i? 

^^^ Pleased to help.

US E28 533i 535i also have fuel vapour capture & recycling using an activated charcoal filter. You should study realoem.com to see the components that they use.  Realoem shows that the "intake muffler" for Australian and Swiss cars is different from all other 528is, but you cant see what it is. Swiss cars also had more stringent emissions standards than the rest of Europe.

You may get more info on how the activated charcoal filter is controlled and vented by talking the yanks over on mye28.com. Cheaper parts may be available in the US.

Good luck.

Edit. There are one or two Aussies who frequent mye28.com, so you should find out whats what.

Edited by JohnH
Additional info