gambit

What's this constant noise coming from driver side rear wheel/suspension?

Hi guys,

520d 11 plate 66k miles.

OSR suspension making constant creaking noise during drive.  Used to be intermittent now constant.  Best way to describe sound is if the sound a metal bed frame makes when your'e going at it. Sorry it's all I could think of realistically!

Anyone have any ideas what this could be???  Is a suspension issue expected for a car this age and mileage? If it's the shock absorber how much should I expect to pay from an indy to have it fixed.

Many thanks people.

Kind regards

Could be anyone of the many balljoints or spring as above or top mount.

Jack it up and try and wiggle the wheel, vertically and horizontally, that should show up play in a ball joint. Take the wheel off to check the spring and get in amongst the ball joints with a pry bar for excessive play. Also check the roll bar bushes and drop links.

I would expect to see min 70k out of suspension joints. Hitting a pothole hard enough can shorten the life of suspension components.

Edited by 535i Andrew

Aww, sorry I read that as front suspension fault, not rear!

edited previous post to make sense.

Mine suffered a broken rear spring at 38k, replaced under warranty. I heard a soft clonk at slow speeds going over dropped kerbs and speed bumps.

Edited by 535i Andrew

13 hours ago, gambit said:

Hi guys,

520d 11 plate 66k miles.

OSR suspension making constant creaking noise during drive.  Used to be intermittent now constant.  Best way to describe sound is if the sound a metal bed frame makes when your'e going at it. Sorry it's all I could think of realistically!

Anyone have any ideas what this could be???  Is a suspension issue expected for a car this age and mileage? If it's the shock absorber how much should I expect to pay from an indy to have it fixed.

Many thanks people.

Kind regards

If you said it was more akin to a howling noise i'd tell you to ditch the car and set on fire! My old F1- had an un-diagnosed noise when driving too, became so unbearable that I rejected it in the end!