oldtechnoman

F07 nearside airbag deflated,

After just posting how my 2012 530d F07 49000 has been reliable over my 3 years of ownership. i came out today to find my nearside rear of car very low.

started car and airbag was inflated so all ok?.

I have the Mondail warranty so went to my local bmw dealer (Halliwell jones Chester) to see what they could do, and got it booked in for the 7 Jan 2019 and they would do a diagnosis check(no mention of cost) and let me no what is involved, i mentioned i had Mondail warranty and was told that if it was classed as wear and tear it would not be covered, i explained Mondail coverd wear and tear but they did not seemed convinced, should i be worried!

I had rang Mondail before i went to halliwell jones and checked  that it was ok i had my last oil change done at VAT registered garage and was told that should be ok, has any one had any trouble with Mondail being fussy about out of dealership service , am i right to be a bit worried.tim

I would be more concerned that it won't get looked at for over four weeks. Yes there is four days of holiday there but......

You don't want to drive it with its bottom near enough scraping the floor!

Does the Mondail warranty give you a replacement car?

Until the car is inspected at a BMW garage i dont know if the Mondail warranty will cover the repair, H/J said they were very busy and the first date given was 31st of Dec, i was not very impressed with the attitude of H/J and after giving Mondail over £1800 of my money am not very happy, i could go to Williams in liverpool but am a bit stuck as it is out of the way.:angry:

Do you get an equivalent to BMW Emergency Assist? That can bump you up the queue.

If you get it recovered or drive it to a dealer and are prepared to leave it there it might get done sooner.

In E39 ownership days I got told two weeks from my dealer when I had an issue, but if you can leave it with us (next day with no guarantee) we will look at it when we can. Got a phone call within 1 hour of drop off. That's what I call service, sadly that dealer is now Douglas Park. Spit!

Is there a light on the dash that warns of airbag failure, or is it unmistakably obvious?

It's one of very few things that concern me about my f11 - I've seen it looking like it's in the weeds whilst parked up after a period of time but it's never shown any other signs and afaik the ride has never felt different to the point of me noticing so I assume everything's tickety-boo. It's whether or not I would notice any difference if/when it does happen that's bothering me.

You won't get an error warning if the bag inflates & stays inflated as you drive. You'll only get a system error warning if the bag can't inflate - which happens when the bag has a great big rip in it. In that case you'll get a message saying 'chassis fault, proceed with caution'. I had to drive my car like this for a short journey, and it's not so low as anything actually scrapes, but it's a hard ride with dodgy handling.

Edited by BFleming

Rang BMW emergency assist number this morning and gave them my details and suspected fault, confirmed that i was covered for repair to car, and was told someone would be out soon to inspect car, soon after phone call from BMW customer assist  to say he would be out to me within 30mins, Bmw man arrived and tried to check car for codes but none showed up, said he would arrange for car to go into dealer so it could be left overnight and then check what problem was,next i got phone call from BMW assist and arranged for car to be booked in and told that Enterprise car rental would be in touch so they could have car waiting for me when i took mine in,so far very impressed with the service i have been given,a bit different from Halliwell jones.

not to sure what happens if fault does not show when car is left overnight, have been told car rental is for 2 days.

^Bmw Emergency assist are very good.

Sack waiting till next year, that's just a fobb off and piss poor customer service. Usually dealers when they realise it's not roadworthy will speed things up. Routine servicing can be a three week wait, but you get plenty of warning for that so the wait generally isn't a problem.

I'm glad things are moving.

getting ready to take car in this morning, suspention has been down all weekend just took picture this morning, hope fault shows overnight in garage,tim

SAM_4362.JPG

SAM_4361.JPG

Dropped car off at Williams service pall mall  and found Enterpise car hire were waiting for me with 18reg 320d auto sat nav and padles,

Williams BMW checked key reading and informed  car was subject to EGR check and they would do that later today, if replacement required they had none in stock and would provide car hire until car could be done,told them i would prefer to keep my car until parts were in. they are going to see if rear suspension drops overnight.

tim

Had phone call from Williams this morning and told that they were replacing nearside air cushion under warranty, they had to order one in this morning, asked about EGR recall and told car checked out ok, did 250m trip in 320d to midlands today and got 64mpg.

tim

At the beginning of this year I had one of the airbags go pop so I bought a pair of eBay for £95. 

Bargain. 

No. 

Both sides started deflating over night a while ago so I thought it must be the solenoid valve and replaced that. 

No difference. 

I bought a bag of eBay again, only £30, bargain. 

No. 

Put it on and it was flat again the next morning. 

i disconnected all the connections and sealed with sealant to make sure the air wasn’t leaking at the joints. 

No difference. 

So my question is, how much do I have to pay for bags that will stay inflated?