apples12

Parking car for 3 weeks. Any precautions?

Hi

Was wondering if anyone could advise on any actions I should take prior to parking my car for 3 weeks at Heathrow T5 in January?

Haven't left it for this long stationary before, usually leave it with my brother to drive around in when we take our annual trip abroad. 

Last thing I want is to land at 6am and my car decides it doesn't want to start!

Breakdown cover is of course in place but would prefer not having the hassle

I'd leave the handbrake off and in the car P if possible.

I also leave all the cubbies open and sunvisors down so any opportune scrote can see you've emptied it. 

6 minutes ago, adam- said:

Have a jump pack or disconnect the battery.

Will a jump pack survive being sat in the boot for 3 weeks?..

I'm still on the original battery from 2013, not sure if I'm tempting fate especially if we have a cold Jan/Feb

Is it long stay parking or the meet and greet service? If the latter then they ‘normally’ get it started for you, read into that what you like....

If it’s long stay, is it in a multi story? ( the last time I flew from Heathrow I think it was over 30 years ago and was 5 so didn’t really pay much attention to the parking situation, I can only apologize for that! :lol:) if so then the car will get more of a protection from the elements than if it’s on a open area. But other than what’s already been suggested, make sure everything is turned off/unplugged. 

Modern cars eh :rolleyes: 

cant you just get a taxi? 

Or a train? 

Or god forbid, a bus? 

Cover the windscreen closely if you can. I once returned and drove off into a dark wet night only to find the windscreen coated with an impenetrable oily layer of jet engine exhaust deposit. Nightmare. 

If it's in regular use, I reckon it should be fine.

Just make sure everything is off. Leave in P without the handbrake on is a good shout but as it's pads rather than ye olde shoes, it should be o.k.

7 hours ago, adam- said:

Have a jump pack or disconnect the battery.

Don't do this. ^^^  It isn't good to leave the car without its battery connected for any length of time and it is unnecessary. And how would you lock and unlock the car? 

The car will be fine unless of course you are having battery issues which it sounds like you aren't.

2 years ago I left my then 6 year old F11 which was on its original battery in Longterm parking (outdoor) at Heathrow over Christmas for 3 weeks, got back to the car, started first time, released the electronic parking brake and off we drove. These cars have rear disc brakes so the likelihood of brakes not releasing is negligible.

The only multistorey at Heathrow is for short term parking which I only use for week at a time business parking.

Edited by Matthew Ashton

This begs the question:

What is the procedure if you return to your car and the battery is dead and you can't open it with the remote?  Is it the same as this G30 video?

Should not have any problems providing your battery is ok, I have left my own upto six weeks outside on the driveway in the winter with no problems at all starting or with the electronic parking brake which was left on.

3 hours ago, Dakota said:

This begs the question:

What is the procedure if you return to your car and the battery is dead and you can't open it with the remote?  

You take the key out of the fob and stick it in the lock on the drivers door handle, open door, pop bonnet and jump start from the terminals under the bonnet.

I left my car on my drive for just short of a month plus it was not used that much for the two weeks preceding that. Guess what it started first time. Modern cars are designed to do that, unlike my 1974 TR6 which will have not been started for two weeks when I get back off hols next Wednesday, mind it has been in a warm garage

Edited by Phill20d

36 minutes ago, Phill20d said:

unlike my 1974 TR6

My 1969 TR6 never failed me even when I left it for over a month whilst away on business. Plus it lived outside in all weathers. Was yours a carburettor model  - mine was injection of course?

No battery drain on those old things of course - take the key out and aside from the clock everything goes off.

Wish I still had it though TBH the handling was something like a brick on a string!

Edited by Boba

19 hours ago, Oilburner said:

Should not have any problems providing your battery is ok, I have left my own upto six weeks outside on the driveway in the winter with no problems at all starting or with the electronic parking brake which was left on.

That's reassuring

Many thanks for the replies everyone :)

everything will be disconnected bar the tracker which will be running off its own battery anyway

1 hour ago, goram said:

Blimey, have we time warped back to the 70s?!

60's actually (1969 TR6).

150bhp injection (not bad for the 60's) rear-wheel drive with a few hundredweight of cast-iron straight 6 in front made for some interesting handling. I ran it on Town & Countries and considering the low ground clearance it did well even in the snow and never got stuck. I once had to drive from Manchester to Fife with no clutch after the actuator snapped but it was manageable (just!) with the amount of low-speed torque available. 3 times round the block while Dad opened the drive gates then straight in.

Off to have a coffee now and reminisce a bit :lol: ).

Edited by Boba

On 04/12/2018 at 16:01, apples12 said:

Was wondering if anyone could advise on any actions I should take prior to parking my car for 3 weeks at Heathrow T5 in January?

A fully charged mobile phone with the AA on speed dial. ;)

Edited by 535i Andrew

As long as your alarm doesn't have a habit of going off all the time just park it up and go away. Never had a car not start on the turn of a key after an extended period of not running.

On 04/12/2018 at 16:51, Dakota said:

I'd leave the handbrake off and in the car P if possible.

I also leave all the cubbies open and sunvisors down so any opportune scrote can see you've emptied it. 

Why would you leave the handbrake off? Also, impossible to not leave in P, car will not shut down and lock otherwise

I meant leave the handbrake off if possible, not 'P' of course.

During winter there is every chance your disks will have surface corrosion after three weeks, except for where the pads are in contact with the disc. When then drive the car you get a horrible clonking from the brakes for the first while due to the uneven rusting of the disc.  May not do any harm but sounds grim enough for me to leave the handbrake off (assuming it is safe to do so.)

17 hours ago, Dakota said:

I meant leave the handbrake off if possible, not 'P' of course.

During winter there is every chance your disks will have surface corrosion after three weeks, except for where the pads are in contact with the disc. When then drive the car you get a horrible clonking from the brakes for the first while due to the uneven rusting of the disc.  May not do any harm but sounds grim enough for me to leave the handbrake off (assuming it is safe to do so.)

It doesn't do any harm. As soon as you use the brakes it all disappears without trace.