Boba

Icon lights not happy in cold weather?

Last couple of days the driver assistance feature of the icon lights has failed with the dash indicator going off after a few seconds and the warning message of reduced driver assistance. (Normal icon lighting still OK, just the automatic dipping etc stops and can't be restarted). If I drive for 5 or 10 minutes then stop and restart the function returns OK. Maybe they don't like the cold and sort themselves when the LEDs warm things up? Anyone had similar? Sound the sort of thing the dealer isn't guaranteed to replicate.

Edited by Boba

The whole point is LED’s is that they don’t get warm at all (compared to halogen or xenon bulbs)

record a video of it happening and take to dealer

2 hours ago, sjak92 said:

The whole point is LED’s is that they don’t get warm at all (compared to halogen or xenon bulbs)

Not as warm as typical incandescents of course, but a (say) 1watt LED generates the same warmth as a 1 watt incandescent so the headlights do generate more warmth than you might expect, certainly enough to melt any local internal frosting for instance.

I'd wondered whether the camera was a bit frosted over, but the other features of the icons avoiding oncoming traffic still seemed to be working. As an alternative I thought maybe there was some sort of sensor detecting a failure of the dipping mechanism but it seemed to work OK manually. I'll see how repeatable it is before I trundle off to the dealer. It's just a pain if the tech there says he can't make it happen.

I’ve had the same issue with the matrix LEDs on my A6 on frosty mornings. I concluded that the sensors were iced over. 

Incandescents used to be great for drying out the odd bit of condensation.

Leds have different light wavelength outputs which mean they do waste less heat watt for watt- but its a bit like indoor bulbs here, i dont mind if they produce a bit of heat, its a tiny tiny proportion of the energy the engine itself wastes so aside from the beam shaping matrix i dont see a massive advantage with leds except for perhaps the manufacturer. 

3 hours ago, Campagnolo said:

I’ve had the same issue with the matrix LEDs on my A6 on frosty mornings. I concluded that the sensors were iced over. 

I thought Matrix headlights only worked off the KAFAS camera . What other sensors are there?

43 minutes ago, Carrera77 said:

I thought Matrix headlights only worked off the KAFAS camera . What other sensors are there?

Don’t know. Whatever it is gets a bit stroppy when there’s a frost...

4 hours ago, SuperDave said:

Incandescents used to be great for drying out the odd bit of condensation.

Leds have different light wavelength outputs which mean they do waste less heat watt for watt- but its a bit like indoor bulbs here, i dont mind if they produce a bit of heat, its a tiny tiny proportion of the energy the engine itself wastes so aside from the beam shaping matrix i dont see a massive advantage with leds except for perhaps the manufacturer. 

Agreeed. The light output of the Xenons on my precious car was far better than the LEDs on my G30.

9 hours ago, Back2Beemer said:

Agreeed. The light output of the Xenons on my precious car was far better than the LEDs on my G30.

Have you got the standard LED's or Icon's? Normal LED's seem to have a reputation for being rather shite hence I always recommend the Lightning Pack as the ICON's are miles and miles ahead

8 hours ago, sjak92 said:

Have you got the standard LED's or Icon's? Normal LED's seem to have a reputation for being rather shite hence I always recommend the Lightning Pack as the ICON's are miles and miles ahead

Bmw spec less lumens to save putting in headlight washers ;).

9 hours ago, sjak92 said:

Yeah standard LED’s, they’re pretty poor but far better than halogens. The issue is the beam spread / focus from the projectors is crap (poor optics), and the high beams are dreadful.

Had it been my personal car and not a company car, ICONs would have been one of the bodes ticked. 

Well in the torrential downpour yesterday. Everything depending on the sensors including ICON LED was restricted according to the message on Idrive

3 hours ago, Babaikram said:

Well in the torrential downpour yesterday. Everything depending on the sensors including ICON LED was restricted according to the message on Idrive

I had the same yesterday 

Camera based 'sensors' are no good, cannot handle real world conditions. Cant' be relied on.  Even my rear view camera gets grimy and barely usable after a day driving in the this sort of weather

6 hours ago, Babaikram said:

You get a message about it ?  I dont recall having issues and never seen any message in any weather ?    What does message say ?

1 hour ago, Babaikram said:

This does not bode well for full autonomous driving in the future. Or is the problem only BMW specific?

Dont think its BMW specific.  Just as your own driving visibility is reduced with torrential rain, the cameras will also degrade. After all your eyes and the cameras are operating in the same spectrum. If its icy but clear the cameras should still work - maybe they will be putting heaters in them   

Autonomous driving will slow the car down in bad weather. Plus it will be backed up with radar. I think its got a way to go - all the work is being done in Sunny California it seems . Just try a few hours on the M6 on a grimy day in January and see how it works

On 05/12/2018 at 18:15, Back2Beemer said:

Yeah standard LED’s, they’re pretty poor but far better than halogens. The issue is the beam spread / focus from the projectors is crap (poor optics), and the high beams are dreadful.

Have to agree;  dipped beams acceptable but high beams are dreadful