Novasport

Intravee II not working.

I am in desperate need of some help with an Intravee installation in my E46 Coupe with Professional Nav. I removed my BMW CD changer and fitted the Intravee II unit which I purchased as a used item, it was previously used in a Z4 I think.

I added an Alpine CHA-S634 CD changer using the Ai-Net cable and then turned on the car. I did not seem to get anything working but the CD changer got power. Unfortunately I found the unit had a CD and tray jammed. I removed then unjammed the unit, refitted it and it cycled through the CD's when it had power.

Turning on the head unit I had CD options 1 to 6 but none of them would play and showed Disc 1 as empty which was correct.

I could not get any other options or menu created by the Intravee.

I also added a TUA-100DAB inline but again, there was no additional menu or control for this.

I then had CD1 and CD9 alternating at the top of the CD screen and also P1, 4, 5 & 6 alternating between the CD1, 4, 5 & 6 or NO DISC.

I then tried an Alpine KCA420i and it said No Magazine at the top of the screen I think but when an i-Pod Touch was connected there was no operation.

I returned to it today and the audio seemed to play a brief melody and beeped I think but then never did it again. When I tried selecting the CD mode it is either not there or comes up briefly then flicks back to the radio.

I have removed the Intravee and checked the 3a fuse inside with a multimeter and it appears fine.

I am lost now and not sure where to go with it.

Any ideas from the experts, please...

Could you tell me what type of Nav Computer you have and what software version (From the main BMW menu go to settings, it should be displayed at the top in the form x-1/yy).

Do you have a laptop running Windows that you could use to connect to the Intravee? You will also need a USB to serial port adaptor like this

https://www.tronisoft.com/store/adaptors-connectors/usb-to-serial-rs232-ftdi/usb-to-serial-ftdi-gold-90cm.html

Hi Richard, I was hoping you would be the man to reply.

I can check later but assume everything is up to latest software level as just had a BM54 firmware and amp upgrade carried out by Carphonics. I have the widescreen Nav with BM54, car is a July 2002 build. It originally had Mk3 Nav but upgraded to a Mk4 unit and did a software update on the unit when I bought a 2018 Sat-Nav update disc. Unfortunately the genuine 2018 disc did not read so had to put the 2011 copied disc back in.

I do have a laptop running Windows so can update the unit if I purchase the lead. I was a bit hesitant in buying one off Ebay as I heard some leads do not work.

Thanks

Rich

You are right not to buy an adaptor from e-bay, they often don;t work well enough to be used with the high speed required by the Intravee and downloader.  The one linked to above is the one I recommend, they are not expensive, use the superior FTDI chip set and have the correct connector to attach to the Intravee serial port (screws not nuts).

One possibility is that some Nav computers that have been refurbished are set by the refurbisher deliberately to the wrong type - Business and not Professional, to stop people updating the firmware.  This confuses the Intravee auto UI selection which uses this information.  Connecting to a PC will show exactly what's going on.

The Nav itself from the Blue connector on the back. 

If you are really unlucky and disconnect it just at the moment it's going to sleep, it is possible corrupt the EEPROM which will brick it.

Right, checked the Sat-Nav software on the Mk4 and it is running SW 4-1/00.

I swapped back to the Mk3 Nav unit and still no joy. No Intravee Menu and nothing on the CD check although it does stay on the CD changer screen now and not flick back to radio.

Do you think the BM54 firmware update at Carphonics with the addition of an AUX could be causing any issues? He has also done a direct wire into the BM54 for a ULF Bluetooth phone control unit if that makes any difference.

I've seen a couple of failed Intravee units, both caused by corrosion due to damp/water.  If they are kept dry they don't fail.

When you connect up the Intravee and run the downloader program the Intravee will output some startup data, this will give a very good idea what's going on.

I could not see any water/damp ingress into the unit or corrosion on the board when I checked the fuse.

There was a tiny bit on one of the three pins of the power side but not much. Cleaned it off and checked continuity from outside of the pin to where it goes into the board and it was fine.

The computer side of this is not my strong point. Do I download the program from the link in one of your other threads?

You can try, but it depends which firmware the Intravee has, if it's an older firmware it may be stuck in the UI setup mode already.  If can't do any harm though.

Right, got my lead :).

Downloaded FTDI device driver and got that sorted.

Connected the cable to the Intravee and ran the downloader. Changed the Port to the right one and the page filled with text. I assumed that was the unit updating?!? I closed it and retried with no luck. Ran it again and the second time it said...

User type: Normal

*Clock TZ=0_0, DST=0 AUTOSET=No

00:02:08.69

PSU SLEEP...

..........................................i

I have to admit I have no clue what the hell I am doing and managed to somehow get this far. I am good with mechanicals but computer code is beyond me. Any help or advice wold be greatly appreciated before I give up on this

Edited by Novasport

Right, think I am getting somewhere now. Managed to update the unit properly now and hey presto, it works!

Well, kind of. It recognises there is an i-Pod connected and it plays but it is a bit sketchy. Cuts in and out and has no track names listed. Keeps flicking back to menu screen. Connected up a TUA-100DAB and nothing seems to happen when that is plugged in.

Got two different menu screens. One when I chose the original CD changer option and another when pressing the SEL button. What should I have and what do I need to do next?

20181206_232211.jpg

20181206_230324.jpg

20181206_231720.jpg

From the laptop screen shot the Intravee must have had quite old firmware, the screen shows that the AI-Net CPU firmware was updated too, that's not changed for a very long time so I think it was probably stuck in UI setup mode.

Flicking back to the menu screen is normal unless you press the button with the rectangles on, next to the Info key top left.

You should get text display unless the tracks on your iPod don't have any ID3 info.  Cutting in and out is not good, could indicate a dodgy cable or iPod connection.  What happens when it cuts out, is it just the sound with the tract time counter still increment, or does the track time stop/reset/disappear?

Pressing the Sel button on the Nav will display the second screen in your picture.  Navigate the Intravee menus with the menu controller (bottom right) or programmed keys - for example the 'Clock' key should go to Now Playing.

Have you connected power to the TUA-T100DAB?  It needs permanent live and ground on the 4 pin plug.  Also make sure you have the AI-Net cables the right way round, 'Input' is the KCA-420i or other AI-Net devices, 'Output' is the Intravee.

Yeah TUA is powered up and leads in the right way. Does anything need initialising or setting when you add it in?

Heard the units can fail, is there any other way to confirm if it is faulty or not?

I will have another look tonight at it as it was getting late last night. I am using a friends i-Pod touch, would that be fully compatible? Thought there was a search function for artist and track but did not seem to work.

I have a brand new KCA-420i I can use instead of the used one currently fitted to eliminate the unit or lead.

If the TUA is in the chain and the iPod works (as well as it did before) then the tuner should be working.  You should see the 'Source' menu appear on the 'Main Menu' as soon as there is more then one source.

So if you go 'Back' and 'Back' again from the menu in your screen shot you should see the Main Menu with 'Now Playing', Search, Source, Setup, Random mode, Repeat mode and Pause options.

On the Source menu you should see two options, one for iPod (or AI-Net 1) one for DAB.