Gus Alpine e60

Easy Peasy DPF Regeneration After Install

Hi guys,

Just put a new DPF on my 520d the other day and wanted to update here as I see a fair few people losing sleep over how to exactly regenerate it after install.

Simple answer is.....just f*cking drive it for a bit. The DPF is the FINAL form of any filter in the entire system and has no sensors AFTER it so effectively it has the least impact in things (of course back pressure etc but its bloody new so back pressure will be perfect) so don't worry about babying the thing after install. All the stuff about perfect temps, RPM's, speeds and length of journeys are way more than is necessary to consider. You'll end up driving around looking like your tryna find signal in a field on your old Nokia 3210. Idle til she's warm then go drive her.

I left her at idle for 20 mins to get the temp back up and let the burning smell disappear. My drive from the ramp hire to home is around an hour. 20mins start stop to get out of town in rush hour then 40mins up the M1. The default speeds and RPM's of a motorway trip are actually what is 'advised' to do for the regen to happen anyway, so just go drive the thing and don't sweat it.

The following few days after fitting the DPF and the e60 is smooth as silk to drive, also sounds quieter and moves through the RPM easier. All she needed to do was clear her throat :)

Edited by Gus Alpine e60

Great to hear you are sorted, but I think most of the queries, including mine, are in relation to existing DPFs and how to force them into functioning properly again after the emissions warning has come on.  Concensus of opinion seems to be a long third gear thrash for about 10 motorway miles which is what my old dear is in for tomorrow with the help of Archoil AR6400-D Max.  Worth a try before splashing out on a new DPF.

The idea of the "thrash" is to get the water temp up to cover the fact that your thermostats maybe broken and or to try and clear a blocked filter.    When in regen mode, the engine runs really lean (more oxygen to fuel ratio) to produce the heat to burn the soot.  The engine just needs a fast idle to do this (1500+rpm)

You can check to see if your thermostats are working correctly via the hidden menu, (utube) your car should get up to temp within 5-10 minutes.     Also if you get on the motorway and you see your temps dropping to 75c etc you know your thermostats are not working correctly.   

Other then that, if you have any fault codes present in the DDE, then the engine will not regen.   

The main issue with the dpf is lots of short journeys where the car does not get up to temp quick enough to start a regen.    A good 30-60 minute drive should do the trick every so often, no need to hold any gears or do anything special, just go and cruise the motorway and do as designed.    If your dpf is full and the car cannot regen, you will have a warning light come on and fault codes saying as such.

Ascertain why the vehicle has got to this stage and fix the cause before attempting to empty the can.....   Emptying the dpf can be done in several ways, cleaner to removal and washed etc.  Holding the engine at high revs may also clean it out enough to start a regen, I have not tried this method myself.   

Hope this helps. 

Edited by Enzo503

3 hours ago, Enzo503 said:

if you have any fault codes present in the DDE, then the engine will not regen. 

Sorry Enzo, this is largely inaccurate. As has been witnessed and documented by myself and others, regens are activated normally with DDE errors present. In my case , 2 glow plug errors. My car regens fine.

The myth around this comes from "early" DPF versions. Apparently any DDE error would halt triggering a regen, but this obviously caused more problems and the flaw was remedied. What constitutes "early" I don't know, but my LCI N47 is Oct 2007 with DDE 7.0 I think.

Keliuss

Edited by keliuss

Yes glow plug errors will be fine, I was referring more to oxygen sensors, pressure sensors within the exhaust system etc.    I should of been more specific.

14 hours ago, Enzo503 said:

The idea of the "thrash" is to get the water temp up to cover the fact that your thermostats maybe broken and or to try and clear a blocked filter.    When in regen mode, the engine runs really lean (more oxygen to fuel ratio) to produce the heat to burn the soot.  The engine just needs a fast idle to do this (1500+rpm)

You can check to see if your thermostats are working correctly via the hidden menu, (utube) your car should get up to temp within 5-10 minutes.     Also if you get on the motorway and you see your temps dropping to 75c etc you know your thermostats are not working correctly.   

Other then that, if you have any fault codes present in the DDE, then the engine will not regen.   

The main issue with the dpf is lots of short journeys where the car does not get up to temp quick enough to start a regen.    A good 30-60 minute drive should do the trick every so often, no need to hold any gears or do anything special, just go and cruise the motorway and do as designed.    If your dpf is full and the car cannot regen, you will have a warning light come on and fault codes saying as such.

Ascertain why the vehicle has got to this stage and fix the cause before attempting to empty the can.....   Emptying the dpf can be done in several ways, cleaner to removal and washed etc.  Holding the engine at high revs may also clean it out enough to start a regen, I have not tried this method myself.   

Hope this helps. 

No help needed buddy but thanks for the input! 

Agree on the trashing thing I've seen, didn't get the different opinions on that one, idling gets the temp up to where it should be and then further driving but even if a thermostat is duff somewhere...the engines temp is still the engines temp so you know where it is without a thermostat telling you lol.

Uploaded this one more so to help peoples anxiety levels on silly things. I do just as much homework as anyone but when you approach something with less confusion I think it helps. Ill put all my updates up incase people can find at least small nugget in there to help them out!

Hope you're well bud

On 12/2/2018 at 10:08 PM, oldjohnny said:

Great to hear you are sorted, but I think most of the queries, including mine, are in relation to existing DPFs and how to force them into functioning properly again after the emissions warning has come on.  Concensus of opinion seems to be a long third gear thrash for about 10 motorway miles which is what my old dear is in for tomorrow with the help of Archoil AR6400-D Max.  Worth a try before splashing out on a new DPF.

Hi bud,

In all honesty im kind of OCD. Even if things dont need attention I still look at my to-do-list as age related things and overall prevention. Ill still update parts that are mostly fine but will need done in the long run. Always wanting a smooth and professional drive. Money isn't an issue as non OEM parts really aren't that bad on a car that's done 100k, depends how you drive it I reckon. TLC every day adds up at the end of the life span!

Hope you're well bud

11 hours ago, keliuss said:

Sorry Enzo, this is largely inaccurate. As has been witnessed and documented by myself and others, regens are activated normally with DDE errors present. In my case , 2 glow plug errors. My car regens fine.

The myth around this comes from "early" DPF versions. Apparently any DDE error would halt triggering a regen, but this obviously caused more problems and the flaw was remedied. What constitutes "early" I don't know, but my LCI N47 is Oct 2007 with DDE 7.0 I think.

Keliuss

I had a glow plug error pop up on my remap and haven't sorted it yet but yes, the regen on the new DPF was silky smooth. Car runs great and has lost any signs of smoke which is nice.

Net on the list is glow plugs though. As Honda guy....the head of an e60 engine is witchcraft, looking forward to it!

On 02/12/2018 at 18:48, Gus Alpine e60 said:

Hi guys,

You'll end up driving around looking like your tryna find signal in a field on your old Nokia 3210. 

My 3210 gets signal in the Outer Hebrides!