Jump to content
Caerfryn

Service Warning

Recommended Posts

That's the count down to whatever service item needs servicing.

 

Remember its condition based servicing. It only jumps in multiples of 200 or 300 miles at a time. My car display like yours is saying 1300 miles till next service, which is front brakes. It dropped from 1800 to 1500 to now 1300 as the miles tick by. If you are hard on the brakes that will drop quickly, if you drive a long motorway journey in light traffic you may find it doesn't even change.

 

The 11/19 is either your MOT or vehicle check which are the only time based servicing requirements.

 

You can reset it once that item has been serviced.

 

Your display is normal. Although the yellow triangle is warning of something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

 

Thanks for replies.

Think I have some answers now - see photo's.

One thing the car failed mot in April 2018 on front brake pads being less than 1.5 mm thick. It passed three days later so the pads must of been renewed ?  Looks like the service data on the car was not updated. How do I get this updated ?.

Also the service items always have BMW 05351 what is the relevance of this number?

 

IMG_20181201_130957.jpg

IMG_20181201_131032.jpg

IMG_20181201_131152.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you sure the pads were renewed?    There is a way of resetting the brake pad warning but you will need a new sensor along with the new brake pads. A garage would/should of done this if they replaced the pads.

 

The vehicle inspection is the mot check, this can be set manually through the idrive and is a reminder that your mot is due.  If your car passed its mot in April, then it should be set for April 2019.

 

 

The number underneath the BMW is the individual dealer/garage number.

Edited by Enzo503

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Hi Enzo

 

The car was MOT'd when I bought it in Nov / 18 so the next inspection / Mot is right at Nov 2019.

That means that 2 seperate MOT stations have checked the front pads and deemed them OK for MOT - so it seems that a reset is required ?

 

Regards

Edited by Caerfryn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sjj84 said:

That's not actually true. If you look in service requirements it also gives you a date for oil, it's mileage based or 2 years after last time whichever comes soonest.

 

Sorry, quite right, mine was serviced (oil) on age rather than distance.

 

7 minutes ago, Caerfryn said:

 

The car was MOT'd when I bought it in Nov / 18 so the next inspection / Mot is right at Nov 2019.

That means that 2 seperate MOT stations have checked the front pads and deemed them OK for MOT - so it seems that a reset is required ?

 

No do not reset the pad warning. You need to get it double checked given the pads were replaced so recently.

 

Assuming the car had new pads and wear sensor fitted, it may be correct and there is a fault in the sensor. If it was not replaced correctly the tyre may have snagged it and triggered the reduction in remaining servicing distance.

 

My front brakes suddenly dropped from 11,000 miles to 3,000 miles but I've done more than 3,000 miles in it since it changed.  

 

Its the front near side that has the wear sensor on it so whip off that wheel and have a look for any damage to the sensor wiring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cannot recommend resetting the brake warning as I am not convinced the pads were actually renewed.

 

As the warning is on 3100 miles,  I am pretty certain that if you do have new pads, the warning will stay at 3100 miles until the disc touches the sensor again and then continue its count down.

 

Maybe take some photos if you can of the nsf brakes, or take it back to the garage to have checked?    

 

Edit: Andrew got there before me :D

Edited by Enzo503

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I put my F11 into Dick Lovetts Friday for exactly this..  Ive done 12k and its not moved from 3,100. Its on 44k and original discs and pads. 

 

However, its OK.   I was told and shown that it is a calculated sum after the fitting of new brake pads ( or from new) when the pads will wear out.  I.e 30,000 miles. If you cover that distance, especially mostly motorway and get more miles out of the pads, the service warning sticks at exactly 3,107 miles (on the key, a round , 3,100 shows on the dash) until the wear sensor hits the disc.  From that point, you still have 2-300 miles left.

 

They had my F11 in, checked it and said ive about 4mm left so it will appear anytime now but said keep driving until it does, or they can book it in to do now if I wanted. ( quoted £632 for front discs and pads!). They did however give me a free loan car 320GT for the day and fully valeted my F11 all for no charge at all.

 

Like you I was concerned that if the service counter was frozen, id never get my moneys worth out of my free servicing package.

 

 

Edited by Number5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I put my F11 into Dick Lovetts Friday for exactly this..  Ive done 12k and its not moved from 3,100. Its on 44k and original discs and pads. 

 

However, its OK.   I was told and shown that it is a calculated sum after the fitting of new brake pads ( or from new) when the pads will wear out.  I.e 30,000 miles. If you cover that distance, especially mostly motorway and get more miles out of the pads, the service warning sticks at exactly 3,107 miles (on the key, a round , 3,100 shows on the dash) until the wear sensor hits the disc.  From that point, you still have 2-300 miles left.

 

They had my F11 in, checked it and said ive about 4mm left so it will appear anytime now but said keep driving until it does, or they can book it in to do now if I wanted. ( quoted £632 for front discs and pads!). They did however give me a free loan car 320GT for the day and fully valeted my F11 all for no charge at all.

 

Like you I was concerned that if the service counter was frozen, id never get my moneys worth out of my free servicing package.

 

 

 

What are you going to do when it's pads and discs time? Indie, main dealer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Number5 said:

I put my F11 into Dick Lovetts Friday for exactly this..  Ive done 12k and its not moved from 3,100. Its on 44k and original discs and pads. 

 

Mine was probably at the the same mileage when the front pad counter dropped to 3100 miles.

 

Now on 49,000 miles with 1300 miles renaming.

 

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

 ( quoted £632 for front discs and pads!). They did however give me a free loan car 320GT for the day and fully valeted my F11 all for no charge at all.

 

 

Obviously to pay for the free hire of the GT and your valet as my front discs, pads and sensor (parts only) were £364 from my local BMW dealer.  More like Dick Turpin than Dick Lovett.  Max 1 hours labour at £100 + VAT per hour to do front discs and pads up on a ramp.

 

1 hour ago, Dakota said:

 

What are you going to do when it's pads and discs time? Indie, main dealer?

 

Hopefully not Dick Lovett at that price!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×