Sign in to follow this  
Greenville

E34 540 auto fault

HI all, just had a reverse gear related issue with my E34 540 auto. Reverse movement faded when reversing onto drive. As it is on a slope, will get it level to check fluids, but i noticed that the LCD now reads P2_D-2-, when moving selector through it's travel, while standing. Not driven (moved) it to try gear operation, but will have to move it to get it on ramps. Cleaned selector switch next to gearlever, but to no avail. Any sugesstions gratefully recieved, before i try and move it to put it on the ramps and break it properly!! Thanks.

The selector switch not only controls the display in the cluster but the solenoids in the gearbox too. Put it in reverse (ignition on but engine doesn't need to run) and see if your reversing lights are on. My guess is that they will not be. That switch is a bank of 4 and which are either +v or 0v. You can check the outputs correspond with the table in the diagrams here:

http://www.wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm

Edit:

From the table in case you cannot find it:

P = 1101,R = 1000, N = 1110, D = 0001, 4 = 0011, 3 =1011, 2 = 0010 where 0 = 0V and 1 is +v

Bear in mind the manual shift valve controlled by the cable also selects reverse. You don't want the two parts fighting

Edited by whiskychaser

Thanks for the replies, i have ordered the new oil and filter, so will change that in the week. Otherwise have looked at the switch and although have not checked the outputs yet, i have a reverse light when the gear selector is in the correct posision (shows 2 on the LCD). Will let you know when i have a betetr look on the day off tomorrow!

The switch sometimes burns out on the reverse contact because of the load. Good to hear yours sounds fine.

Hopefully, your TCM is located in the e-box where is easy to get at. The pins that correspond to the voltages I quoted above are (in order) 36,8,37 and 9. So for park you will get live on 36,8 and 9 but not 37. On reverse you would just get live on 9 etc. The pin numbers are stamped into the end of the TCM socket but you will be checking at the holes in the plug. So don't forget they are a mirror - it is an easy mistake to make :)