jester77

Auto tailgate - hydraulic pump leaking

Been having problems with the auto tailgate on my E61 - not always lifting, not lifting the full height, and generally making a lot of noise.  Took it into my local indie who says the hydraulic pump is leaking and is reluctant to just top up the fluid.  Options as I see them are:

1) Replace pump with new - ££££

2) Replace pump with 2nd hand from eBay - around £150 + fitting (and who knows how long a 2nd hand one will last...)

3) Send pump for reconditioning - there is a place that does this in the US that does this but will cost around £400 once shipping included - anyone know somewhere in the UK?

4) Order a refurb kit (o-rings I guess?) and get the indie to do it - not sure where I would get this from?

5) Get a regular gas strut and convert it to manual operation - doesn't bother me that much but would prefer to keep the car with all its original features

Anyone any advice or experience of this issue?

Thanks

There’s quite a lot of fluid weeping from the pump - hard to tell how badly / quickly.  Might be worth filling and seeing if and how long it functions properly.  I’m usually happier to find a ‘permanent’ fix though if possible.

There's usually a bit of red sticky fluid around the pump. It seems to be a leaky at the best of times.

Very little to lose in just topping it up and see how it goes. The fluid is a Shell Aerofluid. I have about 950ml left because I had to buy a litre and only needed a tiny bit. The problem is it comes in a can like a coke can where there is no way to reseal the container once opened. However I think the fluid looks very, very much like red ATF. So if just a punt top it up with some red ATF, Dex II or Dex III perhaps.

Yes have just topped up the fluid for now - working perfectly.  Interesting to see how long for...

If it starts failing again soon I think I’ll just convert to manual - doesn’t seem a cost effective way to do a permanent fix given the age / value of the car.

thanks for the advice

On 02/12/2018 at 11:32, jester77 said:

Yes have just topped up the fluid for now - working perfectly.  Interesting to see how long for...

If it starts failing again soon I think I’ll just convert to manual - doesn’t seem a cost effective way to do a permanent fix given the age / value of the car.

thanks for the advice

If you do convert let me know what you want for the kit as I fancy a new project :)