Sign in to follow this  
TGPrince

Door Handles Keep Disconnecting/Not Working

My 2007 LCI E60 front passenger and driver side door handles (both inside and outside) keep failing.
The car doesn't has comfort access and usually works like normal with the key to lock/unlock the car and all doors, and I have to put the key inside the ignition and hold the clutch in whilst pressing the start button to start the car.

My door handles have always worked perfectly since I owned the car.

A couple of weeks ago, a friend who owns a vehicle wrapping business and I vinyl wrapped my car which involved removing the door handles. We followed instructions to remove the handles and then reinstall them, and they worked fine for a couple of days until one night I got home and went to go and get out of my driver door and it wouldn't open from the inside.
I rolled down the window and it would not open from the outside either.
I then tried locking and unlocking the central locking using the dashboard centre button and also the key but it made no difference - the door was locked shut and won't open. For a couple of days I had to climb over the centre console into the passenger seat and open the passenger door to get out and back into my car (very annoying).

Then a couple of days later the passenger side door handle also failed in exactly the same way as the driver door. Wouldn't open from the inside or outside.

The locked front doors will then not open until we go through the process of removing the rear doors to be able to access the the lock mechanism on the front doors where i have to remove the front door handles and assemble them all again properly before putting it all back together. The handles then worked perfectly again from both the inside and outside.

A few days later and the exact same thing happened again, first the driver door and then the passenger door.

This has now happened twice (where both doors have randomly stopped opening after a couple of days) and I suspect it may be some sort of electrical/safety measure/deadlock issue.

I think it must have something to do with the unlock/lock mechanism itself and not the handles because they "feel" as though they are still connected and the 'pin/knob' at the top of the door card that raises/sinks to indicate if the door is locked will raise up as normal when the interior handle is pulled if the door is locked. For example if i sit in the driver seat with the key in the ignition and press the centre dash lock/unlock button to lock the doors, and then pull the interior driver door handle, the pin will rise up at the top of the door card as normal, but then a second pull of the handle does nothing (where it would normally open the door).

Please can anyone help me??? What is happening? How can the doors open fine for a couple of days and then randomly not work? But then if I take the doors apart and reassemble everything in the same way I did each time, it all works fine again??? I am extremely puzzled.

I appreciate any help at all!

Edited by TGPrince

The front doors won't open at all using the inside handle or the outside handles. If i press the unlock button on the key or the unlock button on the dash inside the car it makes no difference, the pins pop up at the top of the door cards as if the doors are unlocked but won't open when i pull the handle. However if I press the lock/unlock button again, the doors will lock and all the door card pins will go down, and if I then pull the inside door handle of my driver/passenger front door, the pin will come up as normal (suggesting everything is connected normally inside) but then a second pull of the handle does nothing, where it would normally open the door.

13 minutes ago, Clavurion said:

Are we talking about comfort access or regular remote locking?

The car doesn't has comfort access and usually works like normal with the key to lock/unlock the car and all doors, and I have to put the key inside the ignition and hold the clutch in whilst pressing the start button to start the car.

Sounds like the locks are sticking in a deadlocked burglar proof state, likely caused by the dissassmbling process. Only stating the obvious, as sadly I'm not that familiar with the mechanism.

Edit: From the outside of that car, can you turn the physical key onward a little more to dis-engage the dead locks?

Edited by DarkHorse

Turning the key in the lock seems to work as normal as far as unlocking and locking the doors (the pin goes up and down on all doors) but it makes no difference to the doors opening. Anyone got any ideas??

I had a similar problem with the front N/S door, it wouldn't open from inside and outside. I thumped the area around the 'arbag' tag with side of my fist, which seems to have done the trick. It happened twice and haven't had any issues so far.

I tried to 'correct' the outer handle on the rear N/S door. However, I accidentally pushed the lock further and door handle clip/hook would not slot in to the lock. I had to remove the door card and membrane. There is a hole below area of bowden cable where you can disengage the lock using a long screwdriver which will avoid removing the membrane.

Refitting the handle was tricky, however I realised that I had to push on to the lock from the inside with the screwdriver whilst tightening T20 screw from the side.

Overview of front door locks

Removing and installing/replacing door lock in left or right front door

51 21 170Removing and installing or replacing outer door handle from left or right front door

1MG7fLt

Special tools required:

2FY1ntJ Note:

If replacing version with Comfort Access/CA:

In order to avoid Comfort Access malfunction, use only original BMW paints on the outer door handle with electrically non-conducting primer.

New part* (from 09/2005) is provided with electrically non-conducting primer.

* Sourcing reference: BMW Parts Department

DhHte67

Removal:

Note:

Installation is described separately from removal.

2-door models:

Remove cover (1).

Only remove cover (2) to release the outer door handle cover.

Dq9bDAN

4-door models:

Remove cover (1).

Only remove cover (2) to release the outer door handle cover.

NygwjFV Note:

Protect bore (1) against scratching (risk of corrosion).

Important!

If the screw is correctly tightened, the lock mechanism can spring back and the sound insulation must then be removed.

Pull outer door handle (2) outward until screw (3) is accessible through bore hole (1) and hold outer door handle (2) in this position.

Using special tool 51 2 220 , tighten screw (3) counterclockwise to secure outer door handle (2).

Tightening torque 51 21 5AZ.

OA1LDAT

First pull off outer door handle (1) in area (A) from rear lock actuation (2).

Then pull outer door handle (1) in area (B) off of front lock actuation (3) in direction of arrow.

Dmft1gz

Installation:

The following parts on outer door handle (4) must not be damaged or missing:

1 Rear fixture
2 Front fixture
3 Felt strip (no longer needed if present during reinstallation/replacement)
NtTUbzy

Stop pad (1) must be fitted.

Correctly insert outer door handle (4) with bore hole (3) into fixture (2).

Correctley engage fixture (5) of outer door handle (4) into lock actuation (6).

NygwjFV Note:

Protect bore (1) against paintwork damage (risk of corrosion).

Important!

If the screw is correctly tightened, the lock mechanism can spring back and the sound insulation must then be removed.

Hold outer door handle (2) and use special tool 51 2 220 to tighten screw (3) clockwise.

Tightening torque 51 21 5AZ.

Carry out function check only with door open.