Matthew Ashton

Farewell F11 Hello G32 6 Series

1 hour ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Width wise it is 40mm wider than the F10/11.  But it is 184mm longer. 7mm wider and 84mm longer than the 6GC. Sure, it is going to be more difficult finding the appropriate parking space but a small price to pay when compared to the overall great package. 

I am used to those problems I just don't need rear seats he says....

If anything I am tempted to go down the z4 route next.

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

Will you purchase a set of winter wheels for it to release the full potential of the 4x4 system? 

I was very impressed by my mums F30 320i xDrive in the snow last winter with its winter wheels on.  

It’ll have to be snow chains. The winter wheels are £4k list so I’ll be going the £300 route with suitable chains.  

6 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

It’ll have to be snow chains. The winter wheels are £4k list so I’ll be going the £300 route with suitable chains.  

The chains are only suitable for 18's & 19's wearing 245/50-18 and 245/45-19 tyres, so you may be limited there as well.

36 minutes ago, BFleming said:

The chains are only suitable for 18's & 19's wearing 245/50-18 and 245/45-19 tyres, so you may be limited there as well.

I’ve found suitable Weissenfels chains for the 275/35r20 rears on the G32. 

Previously had the same make of chains for the 245/40r19 rears on the F11 that were very effective. 

44 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

My dad was talking about £4K for a set of winters for his G01....but paid no where near that for albeit a different set of wheels.

I have nowhere to store a set of 4 20” wheels so it’ll have to be BMW supplied so they can store them for me. 

15 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

I’ve found suitable Weissenfels chains for the 275/35r20 rears on the G32. 

Previously had the same make of chains for the 245/40r19 rears on the F11 that were very effective. 

I'm genuinely surprised there's the clearance for them, but every day is an education  8)

Presumably you would need chains on all four wheels, so as not to overload the transfer box?

The thought of chains whirring round near my bodywork and on my alloys doesn't quite agree with me, aren't there 'snow socks' or something that give the same effect as chains but would be friendlier to alloys and wings etc?

19 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Presumably you would need chains on all four wheels, so as not to overload the transfer box?

The thought of chains whirring round near my bodywork and on my alloys doesn't quite agree with me, aren't there 'snow socks' or something that give the same effect as chains but would be friendlier to alloys and wings etc?

The car has an iDrive setting for snow chains which switches off the active steering on the rear axle. 

Ive not heard of issues with the xDrive system and none of the manufacturers recommend 4 snow chains.

The snow chains i used on the F11 worked very well and I’d be happy to put them on any of my cars. I worry more about the snow socks coming away from the tyre and wrapping themselves around the drive shafts and suspension. 

Edited by Matthew Ashton

1 hour ago, Greenninja said:

Nice car there Matthew, have you resisted the urge to get the coding laptop out yet???

Under warranty....if BMW need to investigate anything, and they discovered any "coding", might they walk away from a claim?

1 hour ago, Greenninja said:

Nice car there Matthew, have you resisted the urge to get the coding laptop out yet???

Hi Dave and thanks. 

Probably Sunday I’ll introduce the car to the laptop. I don’t think there’s much to code other than enabling the tailgate to close from the button in the driver’s footwell. 

1 minute ago, 535i Andrew said:

Under warranty....if BMW need to investigate anything, and they discovered any "coding", might they walk away from a claim?

Unless it is something related to the fault BMW won’t even know. I’d never change the vehicle order which is what you’d do if you do something like add enhanced Bluetooth to a standard Bluetooth car. The coding I’d do would be just flicking an electronic switch to enable a function. Did it on my F11 while still under warranty with no issues. 

Lovely motor! Having an extended test drive in a 630d GT next weekend so looking forward to it. 

A very good friend of mine works at Sytner  in Leicester and I’ve actually heard of this car. 

Low miles, carbon black, light interior, exceptional spec and an ex demo with practically everything ticked if I recall?

welcome to the G3x club, see you in the other section :)

1 hour ago, sjak92 said:

Lovely motor! Having an extended test drive in a 630d GT next weekend so looking forward to it. 

A very good friend of mine works at Sytner  in Leicester and I’ve actually heard of this car. 

Low miles, carbon black, light interior, exceptional spec and an ex demo with practically everything ticked if I recall?

welcome to the G3x club, see you in the other section :)

Thanks

Sytner had a bunch of these G32 launch cars from October 2017 up on the AUC site at a number of their UK locations. All with similar spec in either carbon black or sophisto grey and light or dark interiors and all 640is. I watched them drop off the site as they were selling and saw this one in Leicester with low mileage. Now there are none of the original highly spec'd ones left. So a close call for me to get one of the last remaining cars. 

Edited by Matthew Ashton

This is right up my street Matthew, I love the fact that it has so many extras which helped lure you in I would imagine. The only thing for me is the colour, but, if you are happy then I am happy for you. Great car.

10 hours ago, nashdm2 said:

This is right up my street Matthew, I love the fact that it has so many extras which helped lure you in I would imagine. The only thing for me is the colour, but, if you are happy then I am happy for you. Great car.

I'm happy Dave. Dark colours aren't my first choice but in this case beggars can't be choosers and no way I would front the £75k it would have cost to spec it from new. The car is so quiet and comfortable I've made the right choice. 

16 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

I'm happy Dave. Dark colours aren't my first choice but in this case beggars can't be choosers and no way I would front the £75k it would have cost to spec it from new. The car is so quiet and comfortable I've made the right choice. 

Delighted for you. It is so hard to find one with a bundle of extras. When I am searching the AUC website, I just flash down and click each "view spec" button and go from there.  Also regarding your point on the cost new, some models have earth shattering depreciation, the 7 series being one of them. One car I saw had lost £60k of its value after 20 months!!! I could not stomach that at all.

Promise I’ll go and post on the G32 forum soon (oh yes, there isn’t one!) or the G30/31 forum but I started this one here and must share my Christmas present to self that arrived on a pallet from Germany yesterday with my forum friends. 

Going to polish and Poorboys Wax them tonight and fit them

in the cold tomorrow. Lovely Style 647Ms with Bridgstone Blizzak LM001 Winter tyres. 

90C0B6BF-8BEC-4096-A425-4D9BDCE8193B.thumb.jpeg.5e692e8040bbffd407afad8909bbfb39.jpeg

Edited by Matthew Ashton