Matthew Ashton

Farewell F11 Hello G32 6 Series

Last Saturday I drove to Leicester to trade in the F11 for a 1 year old G32 6 Series GT. It was sad to bid my faithful 530d farewell but once behind the wheel of the 6 Series and back on the M1, well wow, what a car.

The G32 has nearly every option ticked so many toys to keep me busy and it parks itself which is perfect for my little garage. It won't drive in by itself as it is too narrow but it comes out without me having to get in the car.

1094199193_5Series1.thumb.jpg.317b1f9ca2eaa575c3262c1e91a19adc.jpg

IMG_0447.thumb.jpg.e3b0f8a51347bbaaca065fec97227cba.jpg

IMG_0443.thumb.jpg.ba7325b716b4ee5b3827a4d04e28ec2f.jpg

IMG_0451.thumb.jpg.ca9b2d463d0805e57dc781fafdb0ea86.jpg

1285487603_6Series1.thumb.jpg.5b45b557569e1c1313de1b5f3471ccbb.jpg

1904447194_6Series2.thumb.jpg.510147dfdfcefe02e478b40d8e0e5478.jpg

IMG_0400.thumb.jpg.e256203cf9d083e0340b96c6ea95d507.jpg

IMG_0460.thumb.jpg.aacbda7cc82fabf0e6825ac1f36055a4.jpg

403732265_6Series3.thumb.jpg.81300b32a6a9ca54d1984f599093d03e.jpg

Edited by Matthew Ashton

Sorry to see your F11 go but have to say lovely looking 6GT. How are you finding it size wise compared to your old F11. 

I ask as I’m getting itchy feet and am thinking of starting to look at hopefully changing in 6-8 months and have fallen for the 6 GT, it seems practical and comfortable as I usually carry 3 adults. 

I currently on my 3rd F11 and fancy a change and wondered if the 6 GT is a credible alternative. There are good discounts at the moment and 0% finance which means I can get a fully loaded GT cheaper than a mid spec G31. 

Cheers in advance Steven. 

Edited by Steveo1
School boy error

It is longer by 184mm compared to the F11 but with the Integral Active Steering it turns like a small car but parking is a challenge as the nose sticks out so it just takes longer to find the right spot. My daughters love the space in the rear so its worth it.

Edited by Matthew Ashton

37 minutes ago, Steveo1 said:

Thanks for reply Matthew does your have the Executive Drive or the active steering and 2 axle air  suspension option?

Hi Steve, no Executive drive but it does have active steering and 2 axle air suspension which also gives you integrated variable damper control.

Edited by Matthew Ashton

33 minutes ago, apples12 said:

Wow that looks stunning! Congrats!

I was considering a g31 next but looks like i need to test drive a g32!

What's it like sat on the motorway compared to the f11?

So nice on the motorway. It is very different from the F11, a far more compliant ride but feels very sure footed on the motorway. And the Active Cruise Control is fantastic. Set it to 75 miles per hour and set the distance to the car in front and it maintains the distance and the speed of the car in front up to 75mph. Very cool. 

33 minutes ago, F10 530d said:

Lovely motor you have there Matthew. Is it petrol or diesel and how many cylinders does it boast?

Thank you   :-) 

It is the 640i xDrive so a little heavier on fuel than the 530d F11 (a lot!) but I knew what I was getting in to. And as I only do around 5000 miles a year I thought I'd treat myself to a very powerful (340hp) petrol 6 cylinder car.

Edited by Matthew Ashton

Thanks for the reply I had been having a play on the BMW site and build a 640i xdrive and was trying to workout if the executive drive was worth the extra over the 2 axle air suspension and active steering. 

Enjoy the new motor. 

6 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

So nice on the motorway. It is very different from the F11, a far more compliant ride but feels very sure footed on the motorway. And the Active Cruise Control is fantastic. Set it to 75 miles per hour and set the distance to the car in front and it maintains the distance and the speed of the car in front up to 75mph. Very cool. 

Congrats on the new motor, looks great.

Agreed about adaptive cruise, it is the main thing I would have missed when I swapped from my Golf GTI to the F11 but thankfully I found one with it ticked; it makes todays congested motorway driving a relaxing experience. If only the active lane assistance also fitted to mine worked above 35mph!

Just now, Steveo1 said:

Thanks for the reply I had been having a play on the BMW site and build a 640i xdrive and was trying to workout if the executive drive was worth the extra over the 2 axle air suspension and active steering. 

Enjoy the new motor. 

I assume it will lean less into corners but for the extra outlay, I'm not sure it'll be worth it. But, if you can afford it, I would probably tick the box if I had spec'd the car from new.  

Mine has everything but for Executive drive, Night Vision, Towbar, Universal Remote and Ventilated seats

4 minutes ago, AndyM said:

Congrats on the new motor, looks great.

Agreed about adaptive cruise, it is the main thing I would have missed when I swapped from my Golf GTI to the F11 but thankfully I found one with it ticked; it makes todays congested motorway driving a relaxing experience. If only the active lane assistance also fitted to mine worked above 35mph!

Thank you!

The Lane Assist works very well and the car will drive fully autonomously without you touching the steering wheel for 50 seconds. The car then tells you off and you have to rest your hand on the wheel but the car will still stay between the lanes automatically.

3 minutes ago, Enzo503 said:

Nice looking car indeed.   How do you find the ipad style infotainment screen to work with?

Thank you.

I love the new iDrive software and screen (so far advanced compared to my old CIC version in the F11). When stationary, using the touch screen is effortless.

44 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Thank you!

The Lane Assist works very well and the car will drive fully autonomously without you touching the steering wheel for 50 seconds. The car then tells you off and you have to rest your hand on the wheel but the car will still stay between the lanes automatically.

Spooky isn't it! The Golf did the same but the system in the F11 is just for traffic jams so doesn't go above 35mph - I wonder if I can code it...

There are dodgy ways to trick the car into keeping on steering for you... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPZbK3lk0oY

22 minutes ago, AndyM said:

Spooky isn't it! The Golf did the same but the system in the F11 is just for traffic jams so doesn't go above 35mph - I wonder if I can code it...

There are dodgy ways to trick the car into keeping on steering for you... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPZbK3lk0oY

I wouldn't be happy letting the car drive itself for any length of time, never mind using a dodgy bottle with some water in it. Why would anyone actually dream that up? Crazy folk out there. 

But it it is a cool feature though. Probably won't use it much but nice to have. 

Awesome! Never thought much of the 5GT but, for me, the 6 gives it what it was missing. Very smart indeed. 

And I’ve just seen your f11 on the approved used site - 56,800 miles in 8 years! Someone else is soon going to be very pleased with that car. 

Liking the new motor Matthew - good luck with it!

Correct me if I am wrong but you turned another one of these down because of the additional cost of a tow bar?

7 minutes ago, E39mad said:

Liking the new motor Matthew - good luck with it!

Correct me if I am wrong but you turned another one of these down because of the additional cost of a tow bar?

It was this same car and I wasn’t able to find a towbar for it. I have subsequently found a Belgian manufacturer - GDW and they make one for the car. So there was no reason (other than size) to buy it. 

1 hour ago, Ninja59 said:

Interesting move. 

The 6GT is a very big car though (even larger than the old 6GC).

Width wise it is 40mm wider than the F10/11.  But it is 184mm longer. 7mm wider and 84mm longer than the 6GC. Sure, it is going to be more difficult finding the appropriate parking space but a small price to pay when compared to the overall great package. 

Edited by Matthew Ashton

4 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Very very nice Matthew.  Well done fella.  The engine in that will be a peach.

I'm looking forward to a towbar install write up and a yellow grommet investigation.

I wish you many happy miles in her.

Oh and you are gonna need one of these!

Thanks Andrew. I’m looking forward to getting behind the wheel this weekend.