Wez

Oil consumption e60 525i se

Hi, I’m new to this group and have just bought a 2006 bmw 525 se with 102,000 miles on the clock. The previous owner has informed me that it does need a top up of oil every now and again, like 1000-1200 mile intervals. Is this normal? I know all cars differ and don’t necessarily behave the same but just wondered if anyone else experiences the same thing? The car drives brilliantly and there is no smoke or leaks that I am aware of,the valve cover gasket has just been replaced and since then the yellow oil light came on saying put 1ltr in which I have, I reset the mileage display and have since done 530 miles and it has used just under half of that ltr as shown on the I drive display. It doesn’t bother me topping up as long as this is a normal occurrence for these cars. Thanks in advance. Wez 

I'd take the I Drive reading with a pinch of salt. My 530i oil level is in the middle despite me adding a litre of oil altogether to try and reach the max mark. Why they couldn't use a traditional dipstick too is beyond me. My car doesn't however use much oil at all. It might be worth considering using 5w40 C3 on the next oil change. 

Hi n welcome :),

Yes, 1L/1000m is not unheard of. CCV malfunction is often a likely candidate.

Petrol engine (normally aspirated), the oil either leaks or burns with the fuel, so check for:

- Oil leak(s), valve cover gasket and oil filter housing are commonly visible. 1L/1000m would be a pretty big leak.

- Oil getting sucked in the intake, CCV (Crank Case Ventilation) malfunction etc. Can lead to large white smoke plumes at various times (not the exspected blue).

- Valve stems worn (may smoke more on startup).

- Piston rings/bore worn, blue smoke noticable at high revs (could also be CCV though).

My old M54 doesn't use much oil, maybe a litre across the year between changes which is 7k miles. Yes rocker cover gasket, oil filter gasket and CCV all replaced.

BMW probably say 1 litre in 1k miles is "normal" but that would just be to have avoided warranty claims back in the day. I'd do some investigation as outlined in posts above. I think the newer N52 and N53 do use more than the previous generations of engines though.

Edited by Tuvoc

Hi and thanks for the warm welcome and all the replies, it’s using 5/30 fully synthetic oil and have just had it serviced and checked over yesterday by my mechanic, he says everything looks to be good and dry in the engine and nothing of concern, he said there is no smoke and no funny smells so can’t see anything to worry about for now, I’m just going to keep an eye on the consumption and give it oil when it needs it, like I said it doesn’t bother me too much as long as it’s not affecting anything, I am debating getting a gearbox flush and oil and filter change for that as it can seem a bit hesitant every now and again, but that doesn’t come cheap! It’s the third  5 series I’ve had the others being e39 and they didn’t use any oil so was just checking, cheers all 

My E39 with its M52 lump used nothing noticeable. The oil never went black either even after 10,000 miles but that was running on 10W-40 Semi synthetic, long before the days of the thinner (and therefore easier to leak out!) 5W-30 or 0W-30 of today's LL04 spec.

The M54 engines are within spec if they are consuming 1L per 1000 miles! 

There are massive debates about getting gearboxes serviced, especially regarding flushing them or not. If it's got a high mileage and it shifts fine I would be inclined to leave it.

28 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

There are massive debates about getting gearboxes serviced, especially regarding flushing them or not. If it's got a high mileage and it shifts fine I would be inclined to leave it.

Which is one of the reasons I gave mine a spill and fill. I've renewed a decent percentage of oil where as a flush might cause trouble with clutch packs etc. 

1 minute ago, Deviant said:

Which is one of the reasons I gave mine a spill and fill. I've renewed a decent percentage of oil where as a flush might cause trouble with clutch packs etc. 

Good call, I've heard of folk do exactly what you've done, some even go further and change the oil twice in quick succession.   If you flush you may get debris in the mechatronic unit which may then give shift issues due to loss of oil pressure which leads to loss of pressure on the clutch packs, leading them to slip, leading to a strip down to fix.

5 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Good call, I've heard of folk do exactly what you've done, some even go further and change the oil twice in quick succession.   If you flush you may get debris in the mechatronic unit which may then give shift issues due to loss of oil pressure which leads to loss of pressure on the clutch packs, leading them to slip, leading to a strip down to fix.

My gearbox hasn't missed a beat, I'll probably give it a filter and oil change in the future. 

I've had my 525i almost exactly a year. I've covered a little under 15,000 miles, and it had an oil change just before I bought it - meaning (I hope) that it was topped up to the correct 'full' level at that time.

I was surprised to find no dipstick - find it odd that I can't "look" at the oil, but having spent 10 years driving diesels and doing very regular oil changes, I suppose I'm a little "over sensitive" to it.

In the year/15,000 miles I've owned it, I've had the 'top up 1L' message 3 times - the most recent about 5-6 weeks ago. So for me that's 1L every ~5000 miles. 

Mine's an LCI/2009 - and I do mainly motorway miles, which may go some way towards accounting for the difference?