mrsimes

Replacing Adaptive Headlight - Part number help!

I'm hoping someone can help me with the required part number I need to replace my headlight.  Sadly, it's the all singing, all dancing adaptive/bending variety.

Like many others, I'm suffering from condensation inside the unit.  I've tried silica gel/replacing caps etc, but it's gradually going from bad to worse (see attachment) and it's constantly steamed up and running now.  

I took the car to my local independent garage to see if the unit could be re-sealed but they've told me the only option is to replace.  They can source a Hella unit for £800 + VAT, then there's the labour on top to fit - all round a pretty expensive problem to put right.  The garage are happy for me to source a replacement myself if I can find cheaper, so I set about trying to find one.

My current unit is stamped '1ZS 010 131-43/AP'.  I can find lots of '1ZS 010 131-xxx' units online - I'm not sure what's important in the numbers printed on the unit, eg are the numbers and letters after the hyphen just revision numbers??  Do I need to source an exact match to this?  If so, I can't see any with this exact number online to buy - just a few finished auctions over the year on eBay.

I therefore headed over to realoem.com.  Looking up my vehicle it gives me part number 63117271905 for the adaptive headlight.  I don't see that number anywhere on my existing unit, but a google search does return several brand new headlights with this part number from around £750 (incl VAT) delivered.  But even the brand new ones don't seem to ship with control modules, ballasts or bulbs so I presume these are transferred from the existing unit!?  Seems a total rip off for essentially just a shell!  With that in mind my preference would be to find a second hand unit on eBay or from a breaker, but again, I don't know what part number I should be searching for that's compatible.

Finally, on realoem again, I see there's a gasket kit 63117268653 - is that needed in addition to the headlight unit???  Could it be worth replacing this first?  Does anyone know if this seals the unit???

Totally confused - any help gratefully received!

IMG_1525.thumb.jpg.0075897e4fc90eddc5fd72c7f0aee8b7.jpgIMG_1854.thumb.jpg.aa8a6537c411fb77d7788c5fa6f7cd30.jpg

You can’t replace the seal on this unit. They are glued shut.

you just need the shell and then transfer ballast, led units over.

try get one off eBay ..

you will not need coding as you will be transferring the TMS module over..

The BMW part number you list above is correct. Your current headlight is produced by Hella, and I often find their internal part numbers look more like VW numbers than any other manufacturer. But yes, there are no BMW part numbers on your current light unit.

I can't help but wonder exactly what seal has failed on your existing headlight, and why you can't reseal it. I'd try Araldite as it sticks amazingly well but remains flexible too. But that's assuming you find where it's leaking.

Thanks so much for all the info.

In answer to one question, yes I tried packs of silica gel in the cavity but they just can't seem to absorb the amount of moisture in there.  I also have no idea where the moisture is getting in - can only assume the unit is cracked somewhere where I can't see it.

@jkas1984 - thanks for the links - if the unit you found for £391 is compatible that's a big saving.  Only question is what's the difference between 1ZS 010 131-631 which seems to come up when you search for 63117271905 and the part you have found (1ZS 010 131-661).  Looking at the Hella catalogue, 631 has 6 light functions and 661 has 3.  How would I know whether my current unit has 6 or 3 lighting functions!?

631 is for left hand traffic Europe spec.. the yanks have there own spec as well so each light is slightly different .. 

as as long as your right hand traffic you will be fine..

Anyone know the part number for this for drivers side looks like I might to order both if can’t seal either up 

1ZS 010 131-651 passenger side

thanks