AH1301

Bmw f10 2014 error code 290900

Hi i am having intermittent issues, i keep on getting the engine management sign come up but then it goes away at times then comes back, had the diagnostic test done 

Error code which comes up is

290900 - Air system, Air to Egr mass flow, plausibility : measured air mass compared with calculated air mass too high.

i have replaced the egr valve, air mass flow sensor, Valve, EGR exhaust control (EGR EXHAUST VACUUM SELENOID VALVE )

download8747f1a0_storage_2femulated_2f0_2fDCIM_2fCamera_2fIMG_20181103_133513.png

Edited by Anam87

What model F10? 520d / 530d / 535d?

There is likely a recall (well, service advice) for your car on the EGR valve, well documented. I suggest you call your dealer.

Also some light reading here, which may ring alarm bells wit you:

Edited by BFleming

The EGR cooler is prone to leaks but that has never thrown any codes up for me when they have failed.

That is not to say that it might.

Edited by Enzo503

2 hours ago, BFleming said:

What model F10? 520d / 530d / 535d?

There is likely a recall (well, service advice) for your car on the EGR valve, well documented. I suggest you call your dealer.

Also some light reading here, which may ring alarm bells wit you:

As this post has mentioned, there is a major recall happening at the moment with all diesel engines on this part.   I would contact your local dealer and explain you have smelt a coolant leak.

Ah ok, it's a 525d which makes things a little different. The EGR recall relates to the B47 diesel engine as fitted to the 518d & 520d. The 525d stuck with the N47S engine throughout its life - so no recall.

UPDATE: BMW has confirmed that 268,000 UK cars are affected. The full list, including production dates, is as below.

3-, 4-, 5-, 6-Series, X3, X4, X5, X6

• 4-cyl production from 12/2014 – 08/2016
  • 6-cyl production from 07/2012 – 06/2015

1-, 2-, 7-Series, X1

• 4-cyl from 03/2011 – 01/2017
  • 6-cyl from 08/2010 – 06/2015

I do not think it is just for the B47 Engine.    

Edited by Enzo503

1 hour ago, Enzo503 said:

UPDATE: BMW has confirmed that 268,000 UK cars are affected. The full list, including production dates, is as below.

3-, 4-, 5-, 6-Series, X3, X4, X5, X6

• 4-cyl production from 12/2014 – 08/2016
  • 6-cyl production from 07/2012 – 06/2015

1-, 2-, 7-Series, X1

• 4-cyl from 03/2011 – 01/2017
  • 6-cyl from 08/2010 – 06/2015

I do not think it is just for the B47 Engine.    

I'm pretty sure that as far as the 5 series is concerned, the recall is just for the B47. The dates above would appear to confirm it.

What is the source of this article @Enzo503?

It's a tough call if your car is out of warranty and BMW say there's no recall. Take your chances with a secondhand unit?

The EGR cooler appears to be part number 11717823210, and is common right across all BMW's with the N47 or N57 engine (but not the B47 engines of course).

I would first make sure it is the egr cooler that has failed.  A loss of coolant is usually the first sign.

If it is shown that any part of the egr unit has failed, I would be contacting BMW and asking what they will offer in terms of good will especially if the car is only just out of warranty with the fact that its clearly a weak design with so many units that are failing.     There are reports of bmw covering 75% of the cost on cars that are a year out of warranty. 

Or as BFleming says, you can purchase a second hand one.  I believe they are cheap enough to purchase and relatively straight forward to fit.

Edited by Enzo503

Hi guy's

Thanks for all the support, just received a call from head office my vehicle has been recalled for the Egr apparently they have a waiting time untill December 20th, they said to avoid driving the car until I get it fixed ☹️.

I told them that i already called couple of weeks ago and you guys denied that my vehicle is affected.

Hi Guys, I am new to the forum.

I have a 2010 520d Auto F10.

I have been having whats seems to be the same problem.

My engine management light started coming on around a year ago without any running problems whatsoever. The code read said it was the air mass meter (or air flow related) so I replaced it however the light came on again, and again there were no running problems, and in fact my MPG on a run was getting into late 50's, even 60 mpg.

Since it was running fine I didn't do anything about it but was just annoying that there was a light on.

Last month after some 6 months or so the car stalled in traffic, Upon restarting, initially the car went into reduced power/limp home mode for a few seconds and then was all normal again, except that the EML was still on. For the next few days I noticed very slight hesitancy at a steady speed which reminded me of a previous car I had where the EGR valve needed cleaning.

I took the car to my local garage who said the code was 290900. As such I had a new EGR valve fitted, the cooler was checked and found to be OK with no obvious leaks, I also had a new air filter and oil filter, and a smoke test done to check for any air leaks. 

The smoke test showed some leakage around the intake manifold so when the garage went to replace it, they found the manifold itself was fine, but the flaps needed to be changed, which they then did and fitted a new gasket.

However a few days later the EML came on again!! Code read still says 290900 as per picture.

The garage suspects that it may well be the EGR cooler after all as apparently there are some flaps there too which may not be functioning correctly (and which would not be known when they inspected it).

I am reluctant to keep throwing parts at it, especially as the car runs fine. 

I spoke to BMW customer services and my local dealer who both said that there car is definately not covered by the recently expanded EGR recall. 

Does any one have any ideas as to what the problem could be or what I should try next? Its driving me round the bend!

Many thanks in advance.

2018-12-03 14.07.25-1.jpg