falcodub

E39, when to call it a day?

25 minutes ago, Calypso-E34 said:

I bought a really well maintained 70000 miler a few years ago. It was immaculate. I spent a good £750 doing some preventative work - cooling system, belts, gaskets and a major service. 

Spent more ore on wheels, front end paint refresh, nice exhaust, decent ICE etc. 

It was was the most unreliable car in my extensive car owning history. I had it 3 years and it cost me a fortune. Almost put me off BMW for life, and I wouldn’t recommend one to anyone. They are bloody needy things. 

If if you want cheap decent transport, buy a Merc or a Volvo. If you want just cheap and reliable buy an old Mondeo. 

I think you had a Friday afternoon built car Mark.

I remember us both running 530i's at the same time and you had problems and I had none... so much so that I wrote a thread saying that there was nothing wrong with my E39 and it was perfectly reliable and a delight to own. 

I'm sure there are plenty of reliable high mileage early model BMWs out there, E39 and otherwise. I'm not knocking them or those who own them. Many of you guys clearly love 'em to bits and strive to keep them that way. I've had several high mileage cars (VAG and Saab in particular) , and I'd be the same if I currently owned one. But I don't, and with my limited funds, and limited knowledge I'd probably end up buying a money pit. Then again our E60 will be 12 next year so maybe the money pit is  closer than I think. :lol:

3 hours ago, ttrw2 said:

Wait till the rust starts causing headaches

Hopefully not. I took the precaution of having the first signs dealt with and have plans to go over it again when I have my drive back. 

14 hours ago, Calypso-E34 said:

Not a great looking car in SE spec, OK as a Sport in a nice dark metallic colour -  but the interior is horrible in comparison with either the E39 or the later F10. Later LCI had nicer door design and a few improvements on the dash, but still no looker.

E60 Sport on Spiders is still one of the best looking BMWs ever made IMO

9 hours ago, E39mad said:

I think you had a Friday afternoon built car Mark.

I remember us both running 530i's at the same time and you had problems and I had none... so much so that I wrote a thread saying that there was nothing wrong with my E39 and it was perfectly reliable and a delight to own. 

Yeah and there was that wheel wobble that turned out to be a bent alloy.... 

1 hour ago, Piper said:

E60 Sport on Spiders is still one of the UGLIEST BMWs ever made.

Sorted that typo for you Chris. ;) :lol:

Edited by Paddy O'Furniture

1 hour ago, Piper said:

E60 Sport on Spiders is still one of the best looking BMWs ever made IMO

I agree that combination - in a dark colour - looks good - on the outside.  That dash though - Ugh....

1 hour ago, Piper said:

Yeah and there was that wheel wobble that turned out to be a bent alloy.... 

It was an uneven build up of the powder coating the wheel refurbishers used on the hub that threw it out in the end.

If I were to keep my current E39 that I bought earlier this year for as long as my first one, approaching 10 years, I'm wondering if I'll be the only one left in this part of the forum by then!

Average mileage being 3k a year at most, it would then have about 67k on it at 27 years old.

After 6.5 years of ownership i'll be replacing the 540 with something newer in 2019. Still a great car @ 120k  but starting to feel dated.

Driving it back to back with my E34 though reminds me how much of a step up the e39 was in every sense...

Edited by mumbojumbo

2 minutes ago, Steve van hool said:

Agreed, maybe the f10 will shrink over time, the e60 was huge when it came out, less so now. Still makes parking at Tesco's a pain though.

You get used to it fairly quickly. 

The F10 always gives me the impression of being huge, but there's not much difference (if you can believe Wikipedia).

It lists the E60 at 4.840m to 4.981m long, and 1.850m wide. 

The F10 it lists at 4.910m to 5.000m long and 1.860m wide. 

This makes the F10 just 7-19cm (2¾"-7½") longer, and 10cm(4") wider than the E60 - but it always seems much bigger to me. 

E65 for me, soonish, I think. I'd love a low milage, facelift 530d E61 sport touring (as I have to carry gear, drums, amps, etc), but they just command too much of a premium.

I'd consider an E65, E60/E61, or possibly even a 2006-2009 E-Class or S-Class, but I hate Mercedes interiors!

Oh, and Merry Christmas guys!

Never in my case. Going to keep my 535i even if it is the unwanted one in the line-up. Once sills are cut out and New metal is welded in, it'll be good for another 20 years..........as a weekend cruiser.........in the summer........

Yeah probably not ideal as a daily anymore for me... :lol:

9 hours ago, stu08 said:

Never in my case. Going to keep my 535i even if it is the unwanted one in the line-up. Once sills are cut out and New metal is welded in, it'll be good for another 20 years..........as a weekend cruiser.........in the summer........

Yeah probably not ideal as a daily anymore for me... :lol:

Why would it ever be the 'unwanted' one?

1 hour ago, Loadmaster said:

Why would it ever be the 'unwanted' one?

I think there is a consensus on another motoring forum that the 535i is pointless and not worth buying. It's often stated it's no faster than a 528i/530i but has the running costs of the faster 540i.

I just like having a V8 and enjoy how it needs to be taken to the redline to really get the most of the engine.

I know what you mean. I had an E36 320i M50 six for many years. It was slated as pointless as well. Barely faster then the 4cyl 318is, used as much or more fuel as the 325i but slower and not as tuneable. Well, I thought it was bloody brilliant - begged to be redlined and it sounded absolutely gorgeous, without the licence losing speed of the 325i. Fitted the bill perfectly. Mind you the argument for your V8 is stronger :mrgreen:

Edited by Tuvoc

I guess due to the age of these cars, there's a lot of us reaching this crossroads. I've a 530d manual touring, that went in for a pre MOT check (long story). They found rust coming from under the sill covers. It also went in to look into an intermittent misfire, they said that it had so many errors come up it could cost over £1000 and they could still be chasing their tails trying to fix it. When they told me that, at the time I'd decided that was the end for her but having a look for another E39, I'd be spending £2k+ which could come with its own hidden issues, so what was a clear cut decision, isn't so now, lol

On 24/12/2018 at 18:06, duncan-uk said:

So what would you replace it with Clem? Nothing from BMW really tickles my fancy. 

Good Question. I've been looking around and tbh can't find anything that i'd want to commit to like i did with the E39, so i've decided to get a 'fun' car for a year or two till having kids forces me into something more sensible again. I've been looking closely at M6 Grand Coupe 4 doors, if prices for the LCI drop enough in 2019 then that's a possibility. 

I also keep coming back to E60 tourings, the LCI version of which are 'paletable', although i'm not a huge fan of the E60 design generally.  

I am new to owning any BMW...my E39 525I SE was a spur of the moment thing...saw it on an auction website...made an offer...it was accepted and I flew from one end of the country to the other to get it....I was as nervous as sh.t both buying it and driving it the hundreds of miles home(made sure I joined a breakdown recovery club)...the car was faultless and in fact drove like a new one...with  less the 50,000 on the clock the engine was hardly run in lol....all I can remember is driving the E39 with a smile on my face and a feeling I was in the seat of a quality car...I bought it as a runabout over the summer as my wife's mates and family had come over and the only other car I had was (is) an old Astra mk 3 (24 years old)...so for several weeks I took them all over the UK and covered in excess of 4000 miles and it didn't miss a beat...found a great indie garage in Nottingham (RGA) where Aaron has magic spanners ...it had a full service (last one being in 2008) and changed the rocker cover gasket as oil was leaking in air con unit...this is the car I was supposed to keep for six weeks ....I have had it nearly two years now and had many people offer to buy it off me for more than what I payed...the E39 is special and the thought of not having my car or selling it to one of its  many admirers is a long way off because when I sit and drive it makes me happy and puts a smile on my face...how many cars do that so I would keep yours mate and give it the TLC it needs because when you get shut of it you'll regret it!

Edited by norightsock

On 22 December 2018 at 08:56, Loadmaster said:

If I were to keep my current E39 that I bought earlier this year for as long as my first one, approaching 10 years, I'm wondering if I'll be the only one left in this part of the forum by then!

Average mileage being 3k a year at most, it would then have about 67k on it at 27 years old.

I'll still have my E39 for quite some years after the recent work I've had done, so you won't be alone on here ;) It was touch and go whether to sell it and move on in the last couple of years but I know in my head that the more modern cars will soon be too complex, modules too expensive to fix, and even simple things like light units too ridiculous to replace in a few years and a good E39 is still a very lovely car to drive when it's all working well, as well as being mostly owner-maintainer friendly.

Only the PDC to overcome to get mine absolutely perfect again.