MrHooky

Help needed opening E61 boot glass remotely

So I’ve bought the replacement rear boot glass switch (hoping it is the problem) but the only way I can replace the switch, I think, is with the glass open, which is a bit of a catch 22...

Does anyone know whether it’s possible to pop the glass latch at all remotely? I read somewhere about removing boot lining, but struggled to get very far, plus it felt like I was damaging some of the trim. Really want the glass working again, as such a useful feature, plus I don’t like over using the electric boot!

Thanks in advance…

If it's just the switch that has failed you can take off the wiper and switch from the outside but can't unplug it...however you can then short those wires which would be the same as pressing the button.

It may not be the button though it could well be the wiring through the hinges that has fractured or shorted.

I had the same problem - was fiddly - see here:

I couldn't remove the whole of the trim so had to prise it back just enough to be able to push a screwdriver in on a long pole. 

Someone else pointed out that it can be released from the diagnostic software if you have the appropriate tools. 

Edited by JimmE

pinged mine open using diagnostics, if you have ISTA or INPA or know someone local with it?

Can also be done with Carly. 

I need to change my switch but for the time being I’ve set the option in Carly so that the button on the key opens the tailgate and the footwell button pops the glass.