Sign in to follow this  
Gareth Wood

Trackday e34s anyone ??

When I've put mine back together (with bigger engine!) I'm hoping to get it on a couple of track days next year

Edited by adam73bgt

Sits nicely on the track, I see you've done some aero work on the rear, how do you find it on the fast bends, is it still well balanced or is a front splitter on the cards ?

I did about 10 laps of the Nürburgring in mine about 15 years ago as I was passing. At around 1650kg and just under 200bhp it wasn't particularly quick :)

It much prefers trailering duties...

Snet17.jpg

its not really their forte is it. they show their weight,  my old 6 speed M5 was alot of fun around the ring a few years back. It was leaning on the door handles most bends. It would do a 9 minute lap though and quicker in better hands than mine in stock form on road tyres

Agreed. I bought Gordon's old 535i sport off him which was stripped, bucket seats etc, even had a snazzy paint job / decal work done by him. 

Was good fun round a couple of track days but it's weight, Stock suspension and relative lack of power meant it wasn't that suited. 

Compared to the MX5 we use now it's night and day, i'd pick the MX5 any day for trackwork

jpg20o.jpg

Edited by mumbojumbo

I love a good E34 but as a road car rather than a track car. I get the most enjoyment from sub 1000kg cars on track as they change direction so well and generally have more feel.

I suppose they might be quite fun on some of the more open tracks like Silverstone and Spa but for me i’d want one for the road.

The e28 was ok, i have a video of my M535i with two e34 M5's they were quicker on the straights but mine better under braking and corners - pretty even interestingly.

I'm sure with the same driver the e34 would be quicker but was a fun session.

If i ever get back on track it would be a more focused car i think.