misterroper

New front suspension arm failure

My car had the front suspension arms changed for the MOT. I was fitting a set of winter wheels when I noticed that one of them appears to be coming apart, black plastic rings separating from the bushing at the end of the arm as pictured here.

IMG-20181109-122735-1.jpg

The odd thing is that there is no sign of the black plastic rings on the other side which was also renewed. I am guessing that part has failed completely.

It seems to drive as normal so the questions are, does anybody have any idea what's going on and would they drive it 30 miles back to the garage that did the work!

IMG_20181109_122735.jpg

Was this torqued down with the suspension loaded, if it was tightened with the car in the air and wheels hanging it will tear the bushes out the mounts in use.

As you mention it the garage where I had it done was rushing to finish the job as it was half an hour past closing time. The mechanic said he'd passed the job onto his brother to finish while he did my paperwork and that was the side that was left to do.  He did seem to be cracking on with the job somewhat enthusiastically, I wonder if he didn't bother propping it up?

Either way I don't think driving it so far back to the garage is a good idea, I suppose sudden braking or evasive action could lead to a total failure. 

Can you get a pic sideways on, bit more light if possible to see if you can see how it sheared off?

It has to be that, nothing worse than passing the job over to result in a bodge.

As for driving back it will be ok as it can't physically fall off the car, just be noisy as when it bangs.

Defo not right.

When I did my front arms, I had to drive it back up on to my ramps for the final torque setting. 100Nm plus 90deg I think, but the weight needs to be on the arms.

BMW will also tell you to replace the nut and bolt, you can clearly see that is not a new nut or bolt and there are obvious tool marks on the nut.

Photo 4 in the link below shows what it should look like.

Its been fitted incorrectly as mentioned above or the bush is faulty.

The garage that fitted them needs the opportunity to put it right, which is a new arm or at the very least that knackered bush pressed out and a new one pushed in.

47 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Did he replace the nut and bolt and torque with the weight on the wheels?

Seems obvious they never did it the 1st time either, fucking cowboys. This is why I never let anyone go near my car unless I know they 100% do the right job 1st time but only if it is something I don't want to tackle like the gearbox service when I got the car.

3 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

Seems obvious they never did it the 1st time either, fucking cowboys. This is why I never let anyone go near my car unless I know they 100% do the right job 1st time but only if it is something I don't want to tackle like the gearbox service when I got the car.

+1 on that!

2 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

+1 on that!

As you posted above that bolts been reused 3 times so technically it has been stretched 3 times the amount it should have been although I expect the reality is they just wanged it up good and tight with a spanner.

I accidentally set the wrong torque doing up my strut bolt and wanged it a good 2 turns, it came out bent after that. Good job I spotted my mistake once I realised it didn't click and promptly ordered a new pair of nuts and bolts from the local stealer and left my car on jacks.

You're may be driving a ticking time bomb.

Edited by GoNz0

3 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Did he replace the nut and bolt and torque with the weight on the wheels?

I didn't take it back to the garage that did the work, I went to a garage round the corner that I trust and got them to take a look. They removed the arm and the plastic rings and refitted it using new bolts. They also checked and redid the other side and charged me 35 quid which I thought reasonable. 

+3 on the original garage being cowboys, I rang them and as you can imagine they weren't interested.

If someone F*%ks up they should be given the chance to put it right, its only fair.  You shouldn't have had to pay to get it put right.  Someone didn't fit it correctly and should sort it.

But

I totally understand why you would never want to take it back there ever again and its worth the £35 you spent sorting it out as it avoids any confrontation with the first garage, especially if they fobbed you off on the phone so.....

3 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

name and shame the cowboys :)

I would have done exactly what you did.  Just don't tell the Mrs that you spent more money sorting it......