TheDarkLord

Can't fit dash cam to 530e hybrid

Hi

Can anyone help or suggest a solution please?  I tried to get the old NextBase dash cam from my previous car fitted to my new G30 530e hybrid.

Halfords - who supplied and fitted the original  - quoted 1/2 an hour and £30 for the task - basically running a cable from the fusebox in the boot up to the rear view mirror to plug into the cam.  That would turn the camera on when the ignition was on and off when the ignition was switched off.

However, they couldn't do it.  He said they couldn't find a live fuse - whatever that means.

Is there always an issue with G30s in general with this?  is it an issue with hybrids?  Or are they not doing it right?

Any help would be appreciated.

Why couldn’t they just tap into a switched live like on the command system or cigarette lighter (do new cars still have these?) .

The mind boggles why you would use a shop ASSistant to wire in anything into your car....

7 hours ago, Yokozuna said:

Why couldn’t they just tap into a switched live like on the command system or cigarette lighter (do new cars still have these?) .

The mind boggles why you would use a shop ASSistant to wire in anything into your car....

Thank you for the tip.  Although the mind boggles why you don't understand that Halfords ........ a £1.1 billion turnover nationwide company ....... uses a team of dedicated electrical fitters experienced in fitting accessories rather than shop assistants to fit things.  Maybe the clue is in your subtitle?

I'm guessing the guy hasn't come across this generation of car before or the fitter is a less experienced chap.  We all have to start somewhere.

Edited by TheDarkLord

7 hours ago, Johnny Grabble said:

Why do it from the fuse box in the boot when there's one in the driver's footwell?

Does this help? 

http://www.bmwland.org.uk/index.php?threads/mobius-action-cam-install-in-g30.2163/

Not all 5er have that, mine does not have a lighter socket under the glove box

2 hours ago, TheDarkLord said:

I'm guessing the guy hasn't come across this generation of car before or the fitter is a less experienced chap.  We all have to start somewhere.

That's exactly the case on mine. I had a dash cam fitted but was being driven insane by the constant drop out due to interference. I got a hard wiring kit from Halfords as they were on offer and they offered to fit it for £20. Logic was it saves me getting on all fours so went with it. Guy gave up after 45 minutes, said he could not find a live spare (they're all live as the distribution box is universal regardless of having a car with zero options ticked or with every single one) so they gave me a refund. Took me 30 minutes at home, it was fiddly at worst due to poor access on drivers side but doable as a DIY.

Look here for a diagram:

I think mine is plugged into F83 but may be mistaken 

Good Luck!

2 hours ago, TheDarkLord said:

Thank you for the tip.  Although the mind boggles why you don't understand that Halfords ........ a £1.1 billion turnover nationwide company ....... uses a team of dedicated electrical fitters experienced in fitting accessories rather than shop assistants to fit things.  Maybe the clue is in your subtitle?

So just because a company turns over a huge amount of money means you trust them to employ people that A. Can do the job (they couldn’t in this case!) and B. Not damage your car whilst completing a job they’re  not skilled in. 

And as for every one one needs to start somewhere, that fills you full of confidence doesn’t it! 

I’d love to be the person stood behind you whilst you instructed the “chap with no experience” of your car to work on it....

as im writing this reply there has been yet another vote of NO confidence in halfrauds......

I feel my point is proven! ;) 

good luck

It might be an issue with just the 530e

In my setup I only want to record while I'm driving, so i need an ignition-switched fuse.
The other day I installed the dashcam from my previous car in the 530e, just using one of the 12v cigarette lighter outlets to USB for power ... and its get power as soon as I open the door and even worse, it gets power while the car is charging ... its charging about 7 hours a day (3 in the morning at work, 4 in the evening at home) so my sd-card is full of video of my car standing stationary :)

1 hour ago, Yokozuna said:

So just because a company turns over a huge amount of money means you trust them to employ people that A. Can do the job (they couldn’t in this case!) and B. Not damage your car whilst completing a job they’re  not skilled in. 

And as for every one one needs to start somewhere, that fills you full of confidence doesn’t it! 

I’d love to be the person stood behind you whilst you instructed the “chap with no experience” of your car to work on it....

as im writing this reply there has been yet another vote of NO confidence in halfrauds......

I feel my point is proven! ;) 

good luck

Some people choose to out of convenience.   £30 to wire in a dash cam isn't a lot of money.

Wind your neck in. 

1 hour ago, Hybrid5 said:

It might be an issue with just the 530e

In my setup I only want to record while I'm driving, so i need an ignition-switched fuse.
The other day I installed the dashcam from my previous car in the 530e, just using one of the 12v cigarette lighter outlets to USB for power ... and its get power as soon as I open the door and even worse, it gets power while the car is charging ... its charging about 7 hours a day (3 in the morning at work, 4 in the evening at home) so my sd-card is full of video of my car standing stationary :)

Maybe your particular camera? I route the long cable from mine to the power socket by the rear seats. Yes, it comes on when the doors are opened, but the car should go to sleep again once locked, and the camera shuts down. I don't get footage of my garage doors...

aha, then it's because I never lock my car when it's in my in-house garage or at work. (it's the poor-man's way of keyless entry ;) )

will test again with the car actually locked

1 hour ago, Hybrid5 said:

aha, then it's because I never lock my car when it's in my in-house garage or at work. (it's the poor-man's way of keyless entry ;) )

That would 100% invalidate your insurance 

2 hours ago, Sandip said:

Some people choose to out of convenience.   £30 to wire in a dash cam isn't a lot of money.

Wind your neck in. 

:shock: told off by the boss....

I’ve not got a bee in my bonnet due to people going to halfrauds as I understand it can been seen as convenience for some! 

However when people moan about the piss poor job they get, have got or know they are going to get and defend them, that makes me say I told you so! 

Anyway.....

3 hours ago, Sandip said:

Wind your neck in. 

I have blocked your man there.  You get lots of helpful hints from on forums like this - but you do, for some reason, get people who wish to snipe at you just for asking a question.    Maybe it makes him feel powerful?  Who knows or cares.

And yes.  Thank you,  you are quite right.  I work 12 hours a day and don't have the time - or skill - to fit a dash cam.  £30 is a no brainer for me.

11 hours ago, TheDarkLord said:

No they don’t - I worked for Halfords not all that long ago, and the level of training that their “fitters” recieve is less than non-existent. It’s very much hit or miss depending on which store you go to, but the level of ability / experience differs wildly! I wouldn’t trust them to fit a set of wiper blades, let alone anything electrical. 

Edited by Back2Beemer

2 hours ago, Johnny Grabble said:

You didn't read it. Neither does mine. It's a piggyback fuse into the box in the driver's footwell...

Apologise, so fuse 59 according to that post would be occupied if there was the second socket under glove box?

1 hour ago, sjak92 said:

Apologise, so fuse 59 according to that post would be occupied if there was the second socket under glove box?

Sounds like a cross examination... You a lawyer by any chance? To satisfy your desire for pedantry, F59 is empty on my G30, I used something like the one in the link below because I had a spare one in my garage... It works. It's really not rocket science.

http://www.carcamerashop.co.uk/piggy-back-fuse-holder.html

12 hours ago, TheDarkLord said:

I have blocked your man there.  You get lots of helpful hints from on forums like this - but you do, for some reason, get people who wish to snipe at you just for asking a question.    Maybe it makes him feel powerful?  Who knows or cares.

And yes.  Thank you,  you are quite right.  I work 12 hours a day and don't have the time - or skill - to fit a dash cam.  £30 is a no brainer for me.

No, I don’t feel powerful for saying halfrauds is shit! 

9 hours ago, Back2Beemer said:

No they don’t - I worked for Halfords not all that long ago, and the level of training that their “fitters” recieve is less than non-existent. It’s very much hit or miss depending on which store you go to, but the level of ability / experience differs wildly! I wouldn’t trust them to fit a set of wiper blades, let alone anything electrical. 

Oops! ;) 

anyway, point is proven!

Block me if you like, but more fool you for using a sub standard 3rd party....

Edited by Yokozuna

15 hours ago, Johnny Grabble said:

Sounds like a cross examination... You a lawyer by any chance? To satisfy your desire for pedantry, F59 is empty on my G30, I used something like the one in the link below because I had a spare one in my garage... It works. It's really not rocket science.

http://www.carcamerashop.co.uk/piggy-back-fuse-holder.html

What are you on about with a cross examination and pedantry? Sorry mate but you’re staring to sound like a bit of an arse

im curious as to others ways you can hook up a camera if possible out of pure curiosity and seeing if there is a simpler way to hard wire. Seems that we both have the exact same set up, just using a different fuse, no need for snide comments.

Edited by sjak92

I have installed a Blackvue camera in my G30 using a Cellink Neo 6 battery pack. I used this because I wanted to utilise the parking mode capability. The battery is installed in the boot next to the main battery and takes its feed from a spare fuse in the fuse box behind the offside panel. It gives around 30 hours of parking mode with a dual camera setup and no low battery warnings on the i drive.  If I just wanted a camera for driving then I would have hard wired to the fuse box in the drivers footwell as @sjack has done. 

I can recommend the Cellink battery for those who want parking mode, even though it is a bit pricey.

Who'd think a little thing like a dashcam would get so many folk wound up. Must be 'something in the air tonight' :lol: .

1 hour ago, Hurly_Dog said:

I have installed a Blackvue camera in my G30 using a Cellink Neo 6 battery pack. I used this because I wanted to utilise the parking mode capability. The battery is installed in the boot next to the main battery and takes its feed from a spare fuse in the fuse box behind the offside panel. It gives around 30 hours of parking mode with a dual camera setup and no low battery warnings on the i drive.  If I just wanted a camera for driving then I would have hard wired to the fuse box in the drivers footwell as @sjack has done. 

I can recommend the Cellink battery for those who want parking mode, even though it is a bit pricey.

How does that work, does it charge when you drive and then uses the battery so it’s effectivley as close to full charge when you park up or does it go through a full charge cycle?

12 hours ago, Yokozuna said:

No, I don’t feel powerful for saying halfrauds is shit! 

Oops! ;) 

anyway, point is proven!

Block me if you like, but more fool you for using a sub standard 3rd party....

Steady on, I wasn’t having a go at you, and nor am I petty enough to block someone.

Think I have a decent perspective having first hand experience of how they “train” their employees, and some of the messes I’ve seen customer’s cars left in. 

Don’t really understand what point you’re making that’s proven? 

1 hour ago, Hurly_Dog said:

Indeed.  I was offered a BlackVue DR590W-2CH - which is a front and rear device which they would add some other power supply.  They knew how to fit that one.  That'd be £319 inc VAT all in.  I'm having a look at that and might to do it.

However, I guess I might be able to go back with some of the advice above and get things in action.  It's not something to get wound up about.  

I'm not so hung up on the price.  If the BlackVue appears to get good reviews and would do the front and back job, then I'd be happy with it.