TheDarkLord

Can't fit dash cam to 530e hybrid

7 minutes ago, Back2Beemer said:

Steady on, I wasn’t having a go at you, and nor am I petty enough to block someone.

Think I have a decent perspective having first hand experience of how they “train” their employees, and some of the messes I’ve seen customer’s cars left in. 

Don’t really understand what point you’re making that’s proven? 

I think he was talking to me.  But I'm not listening.

8 minutes ago, Back2Beemer said:

Steady on, I wasn’t having a go at you, and nor am I petty enough to block someone.

Think I have a decent perspective having first hand experience of how they “train” their employees, and some of the messes I’ve seen customer’s cars left in. 

Don’t really understand what point you’re making that’s proven? 

Sorry dude that wasn’t aimed at you! ;) 

I should of constructed my post better!

the point I was getting at is that halfords is a place where you don’t want your car being worked on if you can help it! Like what you had said in the post I quoted you in! 

It’s the OP that has blocked me (apparently) :rolleyes: 

anyway, back to doing better things with my time....

;) 

13 minutes ago, Yokozuna said:

the point I was getting at is that halfords is a place where you don’t want your car being worked on if you can help it! Like what you had said in the post I quoted you in! 

;) 

Ahh...then apologies from me too haha! 

Edited by Back2Beemer

5 hours ago, sjak92 said:

How does that work, does it charge when you drive and then uses the battery so it’s effectivley as close to full charge when you park up or does it go through a full charge cycle?

It taps into an ignition feed and when it senses the feed is live it charges the unit, which then powers the camera. When the ignition feed is off it sends the signal to the camera to switch to parking mode and will run until the inbuilt battery dies. I have installed a similar camera in the wife's car, but used an ignition feed so it's only on with ignition, much like your suggestion of tapping from the drivers side fuse box. 

4 hours ago, TheDarkLord said:

Indeed.  I was offered a BlackVue DR590W-2CH - which is a front and rear device which they would add some other power supply.  They knew how to fit that one.  That'd be £319 inc VAT all in.  I'm having a look at that and might to do it.

However, I guess I might be able to go back with some of the advice above and get things in action.  It's not something to get wound up about.  

I'm not so hung up on the price.  If the BlackVue appears to get good reviews and would do the front and back job, then I'd be happy with it.

I doubt that they have offered camera and an external power supply at that price. The DR5590W-2CH is around £290 on its own. The cellink neo 6 is £240. I expect they are offering the power magic pro, which just cuts off power when the car's battery voltage drops below a set value. An intelligent hardwire kit if you like. This is the setup I had in my previous car, but caused low battery warnings in the BMW. 

On 10/11/2018 at 14:18, Yokozuna said:

;) 

To be fair I'm with you on Halfords - personally, their low price is irrelevant because if they don't do the job to the standard I want for my car, the money I have saved means nothing compared to the frustration I would feel.

Having learnt the hard way over the years, I now say never let someone work on your car if they are not well trained and experienced. Especially not to save a few bob. They have to start somewhere but let them start on the cheaper older cars in the same way we did (I'm guessing most of us didn't start driving with £40k+ cars).

On 10/11/2018 at 14:13, TheDarkLord said:

Indeed.  I was offered a BlackVue DR590W-2CH - which is a front and rear device which they would add some other power supply.  They knew how to fit that one.  That'd be £319 inc VAT all in.  I'm having a look at that and might to do it.

However, I guess I might be able to go back with some of the advice above and get things in action.  It's not something to get wound up about.  

I'm not so hung up on the price.  If the BlackVue appears to get good reviews and would do the front and back job, then I'd be happy with it.

I too am looking at a BlackVue DashCam and noticed that they have their own store on eBay selling the DR750S-2CH refurbished at £249.95 with a 12 month warranty. Perhaps worth a look if you're considering a BlackVue system https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blackvue-DR750S-2CH-16GB-Front-Rear-Car-Dash-Cam-Camera-With-Wifi-GPS-Full-HD/253301467194?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

15 hours ago, mobilejo said:

To be fair I'm with you on Halfords - personally, their low price is irrelevant because if they don't do the job to the standard I want for my car, the money I have saved means nothing compared to the frustration I would feel.

Having learnt the hard way over the years, I now say never let someone work on your car if they are not well trained and experienced. Especially not to save a few bob. They have to start somewhere but let them start on the cheaper older cars in the same way we did (I'm guessing most of us didn't start driving with £40k+ cars).

Hear hear! Honestly you should have seen some of the states I’ve seen cars left in, or things that have been attempted to cover up in the hope customers wouldn’t notice.

There are loads of independent very highly qualified auto electricians...that’s where my business would be going for sure.

But, each to their own and all that.

17 hours ago, mobilejo said:

To be fair I'm with you on Halfords - personally, their low price is irrelevant because if they don't do the job to the standard I want for my car, the money I have saved means nothing compared to the frustration I would feel

What’s the saying? Pay peanuts, get monkeys....

;)