Paddy O'Furniture

Standard features that you never use.

I was cleaning the interior of my car the other day and while cleaning the steering wheel I was reminded that I have flappy paddles.

I'd forgotten they were there.

I've had the car since March 1st and I've never used, or even ever felt the need to use them.

I didn't spec them with the car,  they are standard but they may as well not be there. 

This got me thinking, what else has the car got that I've never used.

The only other thing that I've got and never used is the sliding and tilting panoramic sunroof with electric sunshade. 

I don't ever open the windows, let alone the roof. 

So what standard features have you got that you've never ever used?  

Edited by Paddy O'Furniture

I've had the E39 nearly 10 years now and never used :

Pockets behind the front seats, suppose to be for maps I guess.  They have never had anything in them.

Cup holders.  Have them front and rear, never used, they are useless anyway.

Luggage Net.  It's in the boot and I guess stops things sliding about a bit, but never used it to lash anything down.

Cruise Control.  Just hate it so don't use it.

Ash trays in centre console and rear doors.  No one smokes in the car, they don't get used as they are too small to be useful for anything else.

Mobility kit.  Never used on the car, but I tested it a few months ago when a ride on lawn mower got a puncture and the kit was out of date anyway.  Worked quite well actually.

Fog lights.  Can't remember ever using them except very briefly when the result was "I now can't see anything so I'll turn the headlights on again."

Headlight dip beam switch for driving on the right.  Never been to the continent with it, so never used.

Seat heating.  Makes you feel like you've wet yourself before cooking your arse even on the lowest setting.  Oh for steering wheel heating instead.

Intensive wash. Pretty pointless if you have decent washer fluid.

Fire extinguisher.  Thank god.

24 minutes ago, RichardP said:

Headlight dip beam switch for driving on the right.  Never been to the continent with it, so never used.

This is a thing??

The number of gismo's/toys on the modern BMW's is incredible, it was once said that BMW build cars for drivers who know more about understeer, and oversteer, rather than boasting how many optional extra's a car has, a lot of which have nothing to do with driving.

Head up Display!  it's a car, not a Tornado fighter aircraft.

It's what I like about the E39 as a model range, it just deals with the business of driving. and good at it too, rather that having a twirly knob on the centre console  (I'm not talking about the driver here)  and a screen with a never ending menu.

Edited by Steve van hool

Relatively few gadgets on a 17 year old 540. The only thing I hadn't used until recently were the heated seats and as per most of us I never use or have need for the cup holders (or ashtrays), front or rear (not sure if I have rear cup holders in this one). If I do. I'll replace them with the cubby hole thingy.

Oh, not used the Japanese Yen coin holder either.

Edited by Loadmaster

On 09/11/2018 at 07:16, Loadmaster said:

.......Oh, not used the Japanese Yen coin holder either.

See, now I'd have to get hold of a few Yen just to put in the holder!

21 hours ago, NWJW said:

See, now I'd have to get hold of a few Yen just to put in the holder!

For added realism!

On 08/11/2018 at 17:04, hippie dave said:

This is a thing??

When I started driving, my 1973 Renault 16 had this very feature. As, I think, did the subsequent 18.

No car since has had it - unless my E34s did?