*jimmyj*

Upgrade unit time?

So just been sitting here thinking about the sound that my E39 produces. It's not great as the speakers are under powered and one is blown. Is it a case of just replacing the speakers for any that will fit, or is there a lot more to it?  Also it that the same case for the head unit.

Edited by *jimmyj*

Re headunits; there are a lot of posts below, so have a read through them

I think it was @Busterbvi that bought one from a retailer in Wales and he's been impressed with it

If you want to go simple, but fully functional, you can go single DIN with a finishing plate in situ, a bit like what I did on my previous E39; but I know that looks are important to folk, so it may not suit your taste etc. It's all in my E39 530i thread (sapphire black one)

Re speakers; worlds your oyster, it's all down to budget and how far you want to go with it. Again, lots of info on here re what speakers fit or what speakers fit with adapter brackets etc

Have a good root through the various threads ;) 

Hey Dan, thanks for the reply, helpful as ever. Looks are important but also simplicity. Yeah lots of info here, which is great just difficult to know where to start of, start with speakers or headunit or other?

I like the double din units and also the sound of the Android units and the features they offer but with so many of these cheap units failing in shorter time frame i guess the jury is still out. 

With regards to sound, thick full rich sound. No too clued up on sound jargon but know what I like when I see / hear it, if that makes sense. 

TBH I was impressed with the OEM speakers when I fitted my single DIN Kenwood head unit

With a better amp, they do sound a lot better, so might be worth hearing them for yourself once you’ve fitted your new head init before you start to look to replace them

Ignore those that say they’re shit until you’ve heard them, then decide ;)